Jeep died

Crawdadjr

So I have a 2013 JKUR that is automatic. I have a 2.5 lift and duratrac 315's on it and currently at 19,000 miles. Today while driving in stop and go traffic the Jeep just died. No sputter, no cough, nothing, just died. The steering wheel locked up and I coasted to a stop. Put it in park and it cranked right up and I drove home. What the F could have caused this?? Not a single issue until today.

Moochie

I don't understand how your steering locked up. Did it just get hard to steer because you lost your power?

jeeeep

Hooked
hmmm wonder if the theft system kicked in - that's what it's supposed to do but odd it did it after you were already driving it.

I'd take it to the dealer, may need to replace your control module

Jeephreakwion

Sounds like a computer issue. I had a cut wire that would ground out and would cause the same issues first only when hot and then at almost every stop. Once it cooled it started up like nothing was wrong.Had to take it in for service to ohm out the issue only to find after having done this only a few times I had fried my computer. Totally frustrating. Good Luck.

Jeephreakiwon

Crawdadjr

hmmm wonder if the theft system kicked in - that's what it's supposed to do but odd it did it after you were already driving it.

I'd take it to the dealer, may need to replace your control module

Had been on the interstate for about 2 hours. Close to 4 hours of driving all day before it happened.

jeeeep

Hooked
definitely take it to the dealer - as said, it could be very dangerous if it does it while moving and locks the steering.

Army_Vet

Banned
You should always be able to steer though. This could be deadly if you can't steer it.

^^^^^YEP!^^^^^ Imagine if you were heading towards a school bus stop or something. That is a scary thought! Man I hope this is a crazy isolated fault, I would hate to see something like this start popping up. Good luck, hope they figure it out quickly for you

jeepgreenjon

Im not sure if the 2013's have conventional style keys for the ignition or not, but a locked steering wheel can only mean the ignition had turned back, if it is a conventional key do you have alot of other keys on the same ring as the Jeep? Only reason why I ask is if you have a lot of weight on your key ring and the keys get swinging back and forth it can sometimes be enough to just bump the key back between its two detents thus locking the steering wheel and killing the vehicle. Ive actually seen it a few times at our shop to customers... a bitch to diagnose if the customer doesnt leave you with his/her full key ring... Just something to check...

Crawdadjr

Im not sure if the 2013's have conventional style keys for the ignition or not, but a locked steering wheel can only mean the ignition had turned back, if it is a conventional key do you have alot of other keys on the same ring as the Jeep? Only reason why I ask is if you have a lot of weight on your key ring and the keys get swinging back and forth it can sometimes be enough to just bump the key back between its two detents thus locking the steering wheel and killing the vehicle. Ive actually seen it a few times at our shop to customers... a bitch to diagnose if the customer doesnt leave you with his/her full key ring... Just something to check...

Only key is the jeep key.

Moochie

I thought the last year of the steering wheel lock on ignition off was 2008. Maybe it's back again.

Top Bottom