elect vs air lockers

lakejeep

This is my first post with wayalife so forgive me if I post this in the wrong area are posted something that's already been asked
I'm wanting to install gears and lockers to the front and rear. I have a 2013 JK 2door sport. I'm more wanting a mud rig other than a rock crowler. I'm runing 35" 3"lift was going to install gears at sametime 5.15.
Here is the question for my intended use what do yall think would better an elect locker or a air locker and way is one better than the other one.

I love this site

LakeJeep

seanb123

Over time air proved to be stronger and more reliable. Electronic wear out with big tires. So with that said go air

Rollincoal420

I personally am not a fan of air lockers. In the years I worked in an offroad shop, I seen alot of failures due to leaks and solenoid. Mud will only contribute to this. It has its way of finding itself into every little crack and crevice creating leaks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

GCM 2

It's simple, look at what the pros run- Detroit Lockers or ARB air lockers. I have run both over the decades, both are absolutely better than anything electronic that Jeep has thrown in at the factory. If you are an occassional wheeler or weekend warrior, run the factory e-locker until it fails, because it will eventually. Detroit lockers are almost indestructible. However, they can get annoying on the street, very noisy when taking corners and can lock on sharp/tight turns resulting in lots of tire chirping and premature wear. ARB lockers when installed correctly are pretty much full proof, very reliable and are invisible to the operator when on the street. The only exception to ARB reliabiltity are poor installs, shops that have no clue how to install ARB's are certain see failure for several reasons. ARB's do require some regular checks to the compressor, solenoids and airlines.

Since you mentioned you mostly wheel in mud, your biggest threat to any traction device; E-locker, Detroit or ARB is water in the differential. Without proper secured and extended breather tubes for front and rear diffs, you will ruin any locker by contamination of the fluid.

Seriously there are two types of factory E-lockers- those that have failed and those waiting to fail. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, its just reality. If you wheel enough it's going to happen, especially if you go bigger with tires and start pushing the drivetrain. I would just run the factory stuff until you have problems ;)

Last edited:

jmm176

It's simple, look at what the pros run- Detroit Lockers or ARB air lockers. I have run both over the decades, both are absolutely better than anything electronic that Jeep has thrown in at the factory. If you are an occassional wheeler or weekend warrior, run the factory e-locker until it fails, because it will eventually. Detroit lockers are almost indestructible. However, they can get annoying on the street, very noisy when taking corners and can lock on sharp/tight turns resulting in lots of tire chirping and premature wear. ARB lockers when installed correctly are pretty much full proof, very reliable and are invisible to the operator when on the street. The only exception to ARB reliabiltity are poor installs, shops that have no clue how to install ARB's are certain see failure for several reasons. ARB's do require some regular checks to the compressor, solenoids and airlines.

Since you mentioned you mostly wheel in mud, your biggest threat to any traction device; E-locker, Detroit or ARB is water in the differential. Without proper secured and extended breather tubes for front and rear diffs, you will ruin any locker by contamination of the fluid.

Seriously there are two types of factory E-lockers- those that have failed and those waiting to fail. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, its just reality. If you wheel enough it's going to happen, especially if you go bigger with tires and start pushing the drivetrain. I would just run the factory stuff until you have problems ;)

Just wanted to throw this in about Detroit's, My dad ran them in his 76' f-250 with dana 60's and broke many an axle shaft from that "chirping" you mentioned above from them the centrifical force of going around a corner failing to disengage them. That truck had manual hubs in the front so there was never any issue, I counldnt imagine what a Detroit locker would be like on a vehicle who's front differential was always rotating. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth of limited knowledge.

GCM 2

Just wanted to throw this in about Detroit's, My dad ran them in his 76' f-250 with dana 60's and broke many an axle shaft from that "chirping" you mentioned above from them the centrifical force of going around a corner failing to disengage them. That truck had manual hubs in the front so there was never any issue, I counldnt imagine what a Detroit locker would be like on a vehicle who's front differential was always rotating. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth of limited knowledge.

You are correct my friend, that has been known to happen. Surprised it happened on such a long wheel base vehicle too, usually its brutal on the short wheel base stuff. My TJ and Land Rover, both had rear Detroits, and were really pretty hairy on wet roads and unpredictable in snow/ice. Off road, Detroits are about as good as it gets for the rear axle. The front axle is really hard to deal with, not many people choose to run Detroits up front.

jmm176

You are correct my friend, that has been known to happen. Surprised it happened on such a long wheel base vehicle too, usually its brutal on the short wheel base stuff. My TJ and Land Rover, both had rear Detroits, and were really pretty hairy on wet roads and unpredictable in snow/ice. Off road, Detroits are about as good as it gets for the rear axle. The front axle is really hard to deal with, not many people choose to run Detroits up front.

The 500 HP of good old American 427 V8 HP I didn't mention probably contributed to the rear axle shaft failures.....wish they still made trucks like that, he gave it away about ten years ago to another Ford enthusiast....Im still pissed!!

Tranquillity

Hey guys, I'm planning putting a truetrac on my D30 and an ARB on my rear D44. Do you think that would be a decent setup? I'd go ARB for both but I think truetrac would be a little less overkill for that little 30.

GCM 2

Hey guys, I'm planning putting a truetrac on my D30 and an ARB on my rear D44. Do you think that would be a decent setup? I'd go ARB for both but I think truetrac would be a little less overkill for that little 30.

I think you are looking at it with the right perspective, it's a Dana 30, if you have to do a little some to it that might be a good option. Personally I would struggle with putting too much into that Dana 30, but I understand that for some it might be a viable option before going full bore and buying an aftermarket axle. Remember always stay in your budget for your style of wheeling, no need to go overbuilding stuff with race spec proven parts if you can't justify the need. There is overkill ;)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I think you are looking at it with the right perspective, it's a Dana 30, if you have to do a little some to it that might be a good option. Personally I would struggle with putting too much into that Dana 30, but I understand that for some it might be a viable option before going full bore and buying an aftermarket axle. Remember always stay in your budget for your style of wheeling, no need to go overbuilding stuff with race spec proven parts if you can't justify the need. There is overkill ;)

I have the need but not the budget. :banghead:

DirtyJeeP

I'm glad I'm not the only one here that struggles with staying within their budget. It's hard to get out of that cycle.

Veetz

Ya the budget grrrrrrr! Over budget and never recover it never ends...or it's just started what ever your take....I run the eaton e-lockers on 4:56 I love me ..hadn't had a problem yet and for the price hope I don't until...I RECOVER...anyway love the gears and lockers...remember once you decide It's yours forever good luck

Participate in life

Top Bottom