Stingers vs winch guard

KernHydro

I know the stinger bumpers are for saftey but does it get the way? Has anyone had a situation going down hill where its hitting a rock or the ground at the bottom of a decent where you whould be fine but its hitting?

GCM 2

Even if your stinger did interfere a little with your departure angle, the intent of it is designed to just kind of slide along with you until you are off the obstacle. Well at least a stinger that's designed for purpose and not just looks should handle this.

StrizzyChris

Well at least a stinger that's designed for purpose and not just looks should handle this.

That part of the comment could not be stressed more! I have a Rugged Ridge front bumper. The core of the bumper itself is rock solid. The stingers and hoop are total crap and serve no real safety or purpose other than looks. If you are a few inches away from a wall and just place your car into drive and let it hit without pressing the gass, it would bend that stinger. Other brands are much better for having strength and actual function, but I can only speak for RR quality not being one of those.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
as mentioned, most stingers you see today exist simply because they look cool. and really, there's nothing wrong with that. having said that, i've never been in a situation where mine has gotten in the way of anything.

On my TJ it saved me from front flipping once ( I was being stupid and thought I had a longer wheel base ). But that was PURE luck. However I will never run another jeep with out one. Have one on the kraken from off road evolution.

StrizzyChris

Yes. Most of their stuff is permanent. But is great stuff.

I was being sarcastic, I drool over their site on the daily!:bowdown:

And I'll get you a price on shipping soon. Been really busy at work.

No rush at all. I was thinking that I may just stick with my sahara flares and cut them instead. I am torn, I know the black flares look great but not sure how a silver sahara flare looks trimmed :idontknow:

KernHydro

painted flares

Ive seen the painted flares cut it looks good just pick up matching paint from the dealer and coat them after you get them sanded down to your liking.

kaptkrappy

This thread makes my head hurt.

What are we talking about ? :thinking:

sorry got a bit off topic...

I was just kidding and I didn't add to the conversation, so I appologize.

I like the look of stingers (we don't have a lot of them around here) But I have seen videos where if the Jeep hadn't had one, it would have tumbled end over end.
If you are wheeling terain with steep declines you need one, it might get in the way once or twice, but if it saves you from one roll over you'll get out and kiss your stinger and tell it you love it.
(plus they just look bad ass) :rock:

Top Bottom