Ball Joint Install Problem?

sdr0303

So I'm in the middle of installing a new set of Synergy ball joints on my 2012 JK and I think I may have over torqued the passenger side castle nuts. I researched this online and apparently it's impossible to over tighten them unless you end up stripping the threads on the stud (which I didn't) but now my passenger side ball joint is about 2-3mm higher than my drivers side at the same torque (85 ft lbs). Also the passenger side upper joint boot spins with the knuckle.

Is this an issue? If I did over tighten them; do I need a new ball joint or a new knuckle?

Steve

jeeeep

Hooked
if the passenger side is higher and spinning, possible you didn't seat the ball joint all the way?

Army_Vet

Banned
It's not spinning, they turn and its seated. Just higher.

Is there any way you can post a photo of the differences? when i used to work on H1's if you forgot a washer under the castle nut it would look like it was higher. anyways pic's may help us.

sdr0303

Here you go;

Drivers side looks normal
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378072370.886650.jpg

Passenger side that was originally over torqued. I got concerned when the ball joint boot spins with the knuckle:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378072434.132393.jpg

About 3mm difference.

Army_Vet

Banned
Here you go;

Drivers side looks normal
View attachment 47110

Passenger side that was originally over torqued. I got concerned when the ball joint boot spins with the knuckle:
View attachment 47111

About 3mm difference.

Honestly the Passenger side looks more normal....
Can you see the complete cotter pin hole in the drivers side, if you can it looks fine to me. If not I would keep turning the DS until the complete cotter pin hole is visible.
If you can get the cotter pin in both sides, i would say to drive it for about 10 minutes making many turns, and then check the torque again.

P.S. I believe you are speaking of the tie rod ends; not the ball joints... My post is speaking of the tie rod ends since i think this is what your speaking of

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
bit confused as well - are you talking ball joint or tie rod ends? hard to tell from the pics...

Can you do a close-up and isolate the part you're concerned about?

sdr0303

I'm specifically talking about the ball joints. The passenger side ball joint got over torqued. When I removed the knuckle and re-did it, I torqued it to the correct specs but the knuckle now appears to sit a little high in the C. The passenger side ball joint boot spins when you turn the knuckle. The drifter side does not.

Army_Vet

Banned
I'm specifically talking about the ball joints. The passenger side ball joint got over torqued. When I removed the knuckle and re-did it, I torqued it to the correct specs but the knuckle now appears to sit a little high in the C. The passenger side ball joint boot spins when you turn the knuckle. The drifter side does not.

Ok, I hear what you're saying, and im listening... but what you're showing me is the tie rod ends. If you showed me clear pic's of the ball joints I can reevaluate

Top Bottom