EVO Lever Rear Coil Over System

TrailBear

It uses a cantilever system so the coilovers run horizontal versus running then vertical, which in turn allows to run a longer coilover with out having to cut the tub and mount them inside. It also tucks them up out of the way, it only moves the coilover so you can run what ever control arms I do believe

JK's JK

Banned
I'm looking at the pictures and there are no coil overs but that system. I do however like the idea that the rear end flexes more.

EVO-LEVER-03.jpg

How does this compare to a coil over system? Or even a 4 link system?

Last edited:

TrailBear

There are other company's doing coilovers, as far as I know ORE uses this system or their bolt on coilover kit.

JK's JK

Banned
Well I guess your correct in the way it's set up (Pic below on what I was thinking. Trying to understand the benefits from a Horizontal compared to a vertical. Then a 4 link set up or this system make it a 4 link?

rear%20bolt%20on%20coilovers.jpg

So like I always do I cruise around EVO website looking at the things I want to buy. Then I came across the EVO Lever Rear Coil Over System. It says it can work with any lift but how does this work?

http://www.offroadevolution.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=EVO-LEVER

Eddie is running this on Moby and if you have seen the JKX 2011 in Colorado or 2012 Heartland tour you have see it in action. I think there are a couple of other videos of Moby on the Rubicon with the lever action.

Not sure if this answers your question.

StrizzyChris

Well I guess your correct in the way it's set up (Pic below on what I was thinking. Trying to understand the benefits from a Horizontal compared to a vertical.

Long story short...with the cantilever system you will allow more wheel travel. This is granted through a smaller coilover that is in a safer location through the geometry of its design. The Bolton coilover is longer, but due to its vertical design there is less wheel travel and it is left more exposed to impact just like a stock shock.

GCM 2

Long story short...with the cantilever system you will allow more wheel travel. This is granted through a smaller coilover that is in a safer location through the geometry of its design. The Bolton coilover is longer, but due to its vertical design there is less wheel travel and it is left more exposed to impact just like a stock shock.

What StrizzyChris says is mostly true. The EVO lever does not necessarily provide more wheel travel than a traditional vertical coilover setup, what it does provide is up to 14" of usable wheel travel by using a much short horizontally mounted coilover, with the mechanical advantage of the cantilever system making up for the extra up and down travel that you would get with a similar and much longer vertical mounted coilover. A traditional vertical mounted coilover system can give 14"-36", or even more, wheel travel. But that comes at an expense I will cover below.

The true advantages to running the EVO Lever is that the 14" of usable wheel travel is gained by not having to cut into the cab of the jeep to allow room for the really long coilovers to be mounted. The EVO Lever allows you to have a sealed, dust, free, air conditioned/heated cab, because the coilovers mount horizontally and stay on the outside of the body. If the rear of the JK was longer, in theory you could mount even longer coilovers to the EVO Lever and achieve even more usable travel. But there is only so much property behind the axle to occupy. By the way 14" of wheel travel is a hell of a lot for a daily driver and 14" of travel does not mean the shock is only 14" long, the shock is actually a lot longer. Now if you want to gain 14" of wheel travel using a traditional vertical setup, the coilovers have to go somewhere. You can't really go below the axle any further than the stock shock brackets because you are asking for things to get damaged and you are not gaining any additional travel by attaching a coilover to a longer bracket. There is only one other option, to go up and through the floor into the cab with fabricated shock towers that occupy room in the cargo area. In one of the pictures above, you can see the manufacturer attempts to cant/lean the coilovers inward and backward to fit their coilover length under the jeep and avoid having to cut into the floor of the rig. By doing this canting and leaning, they have actually lost some of the shocks travel, so although the coilover may be capable of 14" of travel, their system design has wasted and lost some of the travel by poor shock positioning. This is where the genius of the EVO Lever wins every time. So can another system give the same amount or more of travel, sure, but you will have to have coilovers going up somwhere into the cab. In my pictures you can see what 14" of usable travel looks like with the EVO Lever, it is a whole bunch and it means your tires fill holes and stick to rocks which means you have traction

Attachments

• image-1421674503.jpg
    image-1421674503.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 774
  • image-1753699337.jpg
    image-1753699337.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 772
  • image-1706790109.jpg
    image-1706790109.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 772

GCM 2

Thought I would post up a few examples of how coilovers are typically run to achieve 14"+ travel, these are kind of extreme examples but they are both still street legal. You can see even with a soft-top or hard-top and doors, it would be pretty hard to seal the cab from the shocks coming through the floor. Not really that big of if you don't mind dust ;)

Attachments

• image-354568795.jpg
    image-354568795.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 576
  • image-2788910176.jpg
    image-2788910176.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 565

JK's JK

Banned
That great information GCM 2. Now I just have to figure out if the long arm kit that I own will travel 14". I'll have to look into buying this later next year.

One other question. How do you get your lift from a horizontal set up?

2007 JKU

Banned
You get the lift through the mechanical linkage....look at his pictures..

For some reason I thought a Currie antirock couldn't be used with this..looking at the pictures not sure why it can't?

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You get the lift through the mechanical linkage....look at his pictures..

For some reason I thought a Currie antirock couldn't be used with this..looking at the pictures not sure why it can't?

It can be. A few members are running them with that setup.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug

I run a currie antilock rear sway bar with the EVO lever. The damn sway bar squeaks like hell when you get a little dust in it. On the maintenance schedule is tearing the sway bar apart and lubing the hell out of it. If I were to do it again I would keep the stock rear sway bar.
The EVO lever/double throw down system is by far the best suspension for the JK.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I run a currie antirock... The damn sway bar squeaks like hell.... If I were to do it again I would keep the stock rear sway bar.

That is good to know. Paychex and I were discussing the Anti-rock. Knowing his dislike of squeaks, I think you may have swayed his vote.

GCM 2

My setup with coilovers through the tub. Also have a cover over the tower so no dust. Massive travel. Evo built.

This is true, but you still have taken up cargo space inside the cab that an EVO Lever doesn't ;)

Top Bottom