Help Needed in Washington state

alpa

Hi everyone.
We are on the vacation trip with our 08 JK and having a mechanical issue with some of the bearing somewhere in the driveline I'm guessing. We are sitting now in KENNEWICK, Washington state and home is back in Florida. Is anyone here at the forum from this area and can help us tomorrow pinpoint the problem before we'll go to a dealer on Tuesday??? It started to shake with whole Jeep at acceleration at lower speeds and it's making humming sound. Tomorrow I'll check each wheel if it spin freely. Noise comes more from under the Jeep but it is very hard to pinpoint. Please let me know if you know about good shop or someone locally here who can help us.
Thanks Alex.

David1tontj

Agreed... I have driven home on just the front many times, but Florida is quite a bit more than I would want to go. It would rule things out if you had the time to pull the rear shaft. Any opinions on this??

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

alpa

I know it's not u joint on the front drive shaft as I already removed shaft and it was same. I couldn't check out the rear one as it was already dark outside. I'll do it tomorrow morning. I know DS is not damaged as it happened suddenly after 1000 highway miles. I think the rear shaft u-joints are not greaseable so maybe they just went bad? Thx for suggestion.

Rear DS is J.E.REEL 1310

Last edited:

ssh6314

Im a little over 4 hours away from you. Your about 3.5 hours from Northridge 4x4. Which is the only shop trust.. your kinda in the middle of no mans land :banghead:. Keep the post informed. If you get closer and theres anything I can do to help or accommodate. I will.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

alpa

OEM axle shafts replaced just before trip for RCV axles. I was thinking about Northridge4x4 as I do have only the best experience with them when ordering or solving problems, but I'm afraid to drive it another 10miles, it is that bad now. Thank you to all and SSH6314.

Army_Vet

Banned
OEM axle shafts replaced just before trip for RCV axles. I was thinking about Northridge4x4 as I do have only the best experience with them when ordering or solving problems, but I'm afraid to drive it another 10miles, it is that bad now. Thank you to all and SSH6314.

If you have the time.... wait and keep bumping the post, give a few more locals a chance to see it and possibly help. this may take till the morning... Like I said, if you can wait.
Good luck, Im sending good energy your way.... For whatever thats worth

alpa

Well, we have a reservation in Glacier natl.park for next few days which I'll have to cancel tomorrow:bummed: We've been waiting whole year to get to Glacier and now this. Anyway, more important is to fix my rig and then we'll go camping instead staying in hotel, so yes I have a little bid of time.
Thx.

Have you checked the rear driveshaft for the balance weight? Sometimes when a bearing goes there will be a squeal with it? Also check the torque on the driveshaft mounting plates on the aft part of the transfer case and pinion. Check to make sure all your lug nuts are tight. Sounds silly but I did have lug nuts loosen on my once. Have your tried putting it in 4H to see if this helps or makes it worse. Recommend if you do be sure you are on dirt not the pavement. still thinking of what else could isolate to a specific area.

R/
Will

ssh6314

You might also call northridge. Shoot your symptoms there way and see if they have any ideas on what it might be.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

alpa

Lug nuts checked,all OK.To me it looks like bearing because of that hum hum sound. One more thing, noise and most of vibration goes away when off the accelerator, as soon as I touch gas pedal again it's back.

Lug nuts checked,all OK.To me it looks like bearing because of that hum hum sound. One more thing, noise and most of vibration goes away when off the accelerator, as soon as I touch gas pedal again it's back.

Automatic or Standard transmission?

have you checked you fluid levels? Had a manual transmission which did the same thing and ended up needing fluid, however I was not wise enough to check the fluid until it went completely and needed a new transmission. If you can check the fluid.

There is a member in the Spokane Valley.

R/
Will

alpa

It's an auto, fluid level is OK. Noise on Moby is different then what we have plus it shakes with whole Jeep badly.

jeeeep

Hooked
if it's a bearing, you should be able to jack each tire up and you'll hear it when you rotate it and the tire will likely be loose and not spin smoothly at all based on what you are describing

alpa

Thanks all of you for suggestions. It was a bad U-joint on rear DS. I just finished replacing it for a new one on parking lot, so hopefully we will make it to Glacier natl.park tonight after all. Give me a few minutes and I'll try upload some pictures. DSC07694.jpg DSC07695.jpg DSC07696.jpg DSC07702.jpg
Now it is greaseable u-joint so hopefully it will last longer.

Last edited:

Army_Vet

Banned
Thanks all of you for suggestions. It was a bad U-joint on rear DS. I just finished replacing it for a new one on parking lot, so hopefully we will make it to Glacier natl.park tonight after all.
Now it is greaseable u-joint so hopefully it will last longer.

Ahhh Thats bad-ass
Good luck on the rest of your trip!
Glad it worked out!

Top Bottom