Gas smell

Shinedepotjk

Was wondering if anyone had any issues with there jk stinking up there garage when parked for a bit. This has just started happening. There is no gas on the floor, nothing wet under the jeep but it stinks so bad of fuel smell it's even coming into the house. Read in a few spots that people r having some cracking on the top of there tank were the pump is. Any pics if anyone has done this? And is there a new seal u can buy or do u need to replace the pump? Any help would be great. Thanks Brad

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I know there have been some issues with a check valve in the fuel filler having problems. Maybe the valve in yours isn't closing properly and the fumes are coming out. Most of what people have said is its an issue with gas pouring out before the pump stops while they are filling up but maybe you have a variant of this.

Search the forum for gas fill issue.

Good luck

Edit: You might also take a hard look at your gas cap. Maybe it has an issue.

jeeeep

Hooked
check around your evap - a fuel leak would not necessarily drip as it evaporates pretty quick and doesn't take much to stink up a close area.

Also take off the rear tail light and look at the filler neck make sure the overflow tubing etc are all in place.

Shinedepotjk

Cool thanks for the in put. All put her on my host tomorrow and check it out. Don't want to drop the tank if I don't have to.

Shinedepotjk

Well got it on my host today and u can see some small gas stains on the top of the tank (almost in the middle) going to drop it on Friday to see whats up.

jeeeep

Hooked
nothing around the evap? no cracks or hose fittings looked like they were leaking?

stains on top of the tank could also be from water like rain or puddles etc... but if you have the equipment to drop the tank, can I use your garage? :thumb:

Shinedepotjk

Nothing around the evap at all. U can smell it really strong on the top of the tank. U can tell the marks r from gas not water cause if how it has taken away the undercoating. My buddy's a mechanic and is going to give me a hand on Friday. Hoping its just a bad O ring or something small. We will see.

Shinedepotjk

All fixed yup, once out u could see a hair line crack on the top of the pump. Weird!!! Took her out for a little run with a few buddy's to make sure everything was ok. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1379271061.926796.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1379271046.499025.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1379271046.499025.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 53
Top Bottom