How should you shift into 4H or 4L, full stop or 3-4 mph?

FROZNJP

My apologies if I missed this topic during my search. I was having a conversation with an acquaintance of mine about our JKs. He asked me if I follow the owner’s manual and shift into 4L, from 4H, while going 2-3 mph; or 2WD to 4H up to 50 mph. My answer was, and is, yes. He proceeded to tell me that he recently broke the transfer case shift cable bushing (always carry a few extra in my glove box) while trying to put his JK into 4H. He took it to the dealer and told the dealer what happened. The dealer told him to NOT follow the owner’s manual and ALWAYS come to a complete stop before shifting into any 4WD gear; that this was the major cause for the bushing failures. This is the first I've heard of this. :idontknow: Do you come to a stop for all 4WD gears, or roll? Has anyone been told the same thing from a dealer?

I've always chalked up the bushing failures to design (good or bad).

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i have heard that you can shift safely into 4HI from 2wd up to 30 MPH. i would never shift into 4H anywhere near that speed tho. i would keep it under 10 for 4hi. as from 4hi to 4lo i would be at a complete stop, nothing more.

TheDuff

Mine never wants to go into 4 low at a complete stop, I always have to be rolling at least. I haven't yet had a bushing fail (knock on wood). The way I see it, if the owners manual says to do it that way and something breaks, the dealer has to fix it (assuming your still under warranty)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

FROZNJP

Hmmm, interesting. So there may be a link between shifting speed and the transfer case shift cable bushing failures. Has anyone, who comes to a complete stop, experienced a bushing failure?

MTG

Caught the Bug
I've done it both at a complete stop and while rolling slowly. Sometimes it will not go into 4 low at a complete stop. So I slowly move and then do it. I think the key is not to force it into 4 low regardless of whether you are moving or stopped. The key is anticipating when you might need 4 low and doing so before you need it. :yup:

Mine never wants to go into 4 low at a complete stop, I always have to be rolling at least. I haven't yet had a bushing fail (knock on wood). The way I see it, if the owners manual says to do it that way and something breaks, the dealer has to fix it (assuming your still under warranty)

This is the way mine is too. I have no problems shifting from 2-4Hi at any speed (<40) or stopped, but 4hi-4Lo never wants to go unless there is just a we-bit of movement. Most times I can just push the clutch and let her roll a bit. (just a few inches.) Then it slips right in. If I tried to mash it in 4Lo at a stop I would break something for sure.

jkrossi

I too have found that with a little forward movement it tends to slide into 4L much easier.

Ive also shifted into 4H while move at at least 20 mph with no issues. Never had issues with the bushings either... yet.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've done it both at a complete stop and while rolling slowly. Sometimes it will not go into 4 low at a complete stop. So I slowly move and then do it. I think the key is not to force it into 4 low regardless of whether you are moving or stopped. The key is anticipating when you might need 4 low and doing so before you need it. :yup:

This is the way mine is too. I have no problems shifting from 2-4Hi at any speed (<40) or stopped, but 4hi-4Lo never wants to go unless there is just a we-bit of movement. Most times I can just push the clutch and let her roll a bit. (just a few inches.) Then it slips right in. If I tried to mash it in 4Lo at a stop I would break something for sure.

i have heard that the reason it will not shift into 4lo sometime is because your jeep is still considered to be in gear. so if you roll a hair forward or a hair back to disengage the gears it will slide right into gear.

i have heard that the reason it will not shift into 4lo sometime is because your jeep is still considered to be in gear. so if you roll a hair forward or a hair back to disengage the gears it will slide right into gear.

I think it is more or a mechanical interference thing. In my case I have been in neutral and foot off clutch with the engine running... Still No-Go. If I am trying to put it in 4-Lo and roll just a bit, it will slip in but you can distinctly feel the gears free up as it does. But no matter what the reason is it works. The two guys that I know that have broken the bushing force it. I joke with them about it.

"I see it like foreplay and sex... You gotta' treat her right and warm her up before you stick it in" ;)

suicideking

I will shift from 2wd to 4hi while moving, usually around 10 mph though 25mph or less is supposed to be fine.

4lo - I usually have to be at a complete stop and then I shift to N, let it roll a couple feet, put on the brake, then no problems going into 4lo.

bhawghead

I will shift from 2wd to 4hi while moving, usually around 10 mph though 25mph or less is supposed to be fine.

4lo - I usually have to be at a complete stop and then I shift to N, let it roll a couple feet, put on the brake, then no problems going into 4lo.

This is how I shift mine also, have had no problems as of yet, (knock on wood)!

JeepJKpwr

I have engaged 4H at up to 35mph but as far as 4L I have to be barely moving before it will allow me to engage

sent from carrier pigeon

jeeeep

Hooked
2H to 4H any speed up to 50mph... 4 lo no more than 3mph. I usually find coming to a stop when moving to 4L and just barely move makes for a smooth shift...same when coming out of 4L and back to 2H or 4H ...stop slow roll and shift, never force it into gear

JK's JK

Banned
This is a great topic to bring up. So the first time I ever placed my jeep in 4w LO was at Bondsy's house. We where going around 2-3mph and there was a force and a grid of the gears in the transfer case. Did this several times with a grindding. I asked Bondsy if this is common and he said yes. I could not believe that Jeep would have a transfer case grind every time I shift it into 4w LO.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
This is a great topic to bring up. So the first time I ever placed my jeep in 4w LO was at Bondsy's house. We where going around 2-3mph and there was a force and a grid of the gears in the transfer case. Did this several times with a gridding. I asked Bondsy if this is common and he said yes. I could not believe that Jeep would have a transfer case grind every time I shift it into 4w LO.

yea..until you get used to the feel you may get the grinding..but once you get it you can quickly move in and out smoothly

munstie

I have never had any issues going into 4H but 4L I generally have to be rolling every once in awhile it will go into 4L at a complete stop.

dahreno

Banned
If you check your owners manual I believe it is different for a Rubicon vs. non Rubicon because of the lower 4 low gearing .I really don't know about the non Rubi. because I've only owned a Rubi.

SoCalDozer

i have shifted into 4h while doing 40ish on my way up to big bear. roads were icy and i didnt want to stop. the running gear is constantly rotating in the front end so even when its not engaged it still spins at the same speed as the rear providing your not spinning the tires or slipping at the time.
it just doesnt apply torque to the front wheels until you shift it.
as far as four low i usually just go into neutral then it goes into 4L just fine for me

GuillaumeC91

I agree with the slow roll when shifting the transfer case, but what about top speed in 4H? My question is basically based around winter driving. I'd like to be in 4x4 when roads get real bad but I don't know if it's safe to keep it in those gears for too long or going too fast with it.

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

Top Bottom