The adventure begins

rdf_orion

Hey guys im kind of new here, in about a month im going to be purchasing a JKU rubicon :D. I am starting to get my ducks in a row, so to speak, on what I am going to do modification wise, and begin to figure out what can be done together or what can wait.

My ultimate goal is to have a well built jeep that can handle some of the more advanced trails. I am not an advanced rock crawler, but I do not want to buy parts and wish I went with something else as I become more experienced.

So, right now what I would like to do to the jeep is:

1. Dana prorock 60s (I believe 5.38 gearing is correct for this set up)
2. 40 inch tires (not 100% on which manufacturer to go with yet) and slabs
3. Evo DTD on all 4 corners (the evolever rear, correct me if I am wrong but is already built in with the rear DTD)
4. 1350 front and rear J.E. reel drive shafts
5. Evo rock skins, sliders, front bumper with stinger, rear tire carrier, and new fenders
6.warn power plant winch
7.rigid industries upper windshield mount kit with 50 inch lite bar

My question is, can I set up the suspension and run the 40 inch tires with the stock rubicon axels, while continuing to put money aside for the prorock 60s, or will this set up require me to have the 60s in play already?

Also, for the suspension to work properly or be set up correctly is there anything else that I am going to need?

Thank you guys in advance, and please feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of the above. I can take all the help I can get! This build is going to be slow and happen over time, but like I said I want to make sure I get everything correct the first time. Thanks again! :beer::beer:

Army_Vet

Banned
Hey guys im kind of new here, in about a month im going to be purchasing a JKU rubicon :D. I am starting to get my ducks in a row, so to speak, on what I am going to do modification wise, and begin to figure out what can be done together or what can wait.

My ultimate goal is to have a well built jeep that can handle some of the more advanced trails. I am not an advanced rock crawler, but I do not want to buy parts and wish I went with something else as I become more experienced.

3. Evo DTD on all 4 corners (the evolever rear, correct me if I am wrong but is already built in with the rear DTD)
5. Evo rock skins, sliders, front bumper with stinger, rear tire carrier, and new fenders
6.warn power plant winch

My question is, can I set up the suspension and run the 40 inch tires with the stock rubicon axels, while continuing to put money aside for the prorock 60s, or will this set up require me to have the 60s in play already?

Also, for the suspension to work properly or be set up correctly is there anything else that I am going to need?

Thank you guys in advance, and please feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of the above. I can take all the help I can get! This build is going to be slow and happen over time, but like I said I want to make sure I get everything correct the first time. Thanks again! :beer::beer:

With those goals in mind for your build, I would suggest calling Mel at Offroad Evolution and get some advice from him. He has done enough builds to know in what order you can do this without wasting any money.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Depends on the year you get.

You can get the lever or you can get it with DTD. It comes both ways.

6.warn power plant winch

You will break you stock axles pretty quick. Not to mention its a waste of money to regear your stock axles and then get rid of them when you get 60's. just wait.

Your going to need the long arm kit as well. I would just get the high clearance long arm since you are going all out anyway.

rdf_orion

Armyvet- thats probably the best idea for me, offroad evolution isnt that far from me so I was thinking of swinging by once I purchase my jeep. I just figured I could get some preliminary advice before I went there haha.

Overlander- im either going to go with a 13 or 14, it just depends on whats available! Breaking the axels is what I was wondering about, if its going to be detrimental to my vehicle youre right on waiting. Other than the long arm kit is there anything else you would recommend looking into?

Thank you guys for helping me out I appreciate it!

rdf_orion

If this was the route you guys were going to take, would you think itd be smarter to get and focus on all the suspension and drive train modifications? Or should I get the bumpers, fenders, skids, and light bar done first? Im just unsure of what the smartest plan of attack would be.

Briguy114

If this was the route you guys were going to take, would you think itd be smarter to get and focus on all the suspension and drive train modifications? Or should I get the bumpers, fenders, skids, and light bar done first? Im just unsure of what the smartest plan of attack would be.

I would go with the suspension and drive train first. Then the tire carrier and you can do the other stuff after that.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
^^^^ agree with the above statement. the reason is because you want to run 40's basically right off the bat.

rdf_orion

Thats what I was thinking, heres another thought, are the prorock 60s worth it? The more I get into wheeling, I still would only be able to hit the trail a few times a year because of my work schedule. I have 35s on two of my trucks and I just feel like they arent quite to my liking ;). Just for arguments sake, and the cost of going with the prorocks, would there be a better route to go with? I believe 37s could satisfy my wants and needs, but I would love to run 40s on the prorocks haha. I guess what im asking here is, for the few times a year that I will be running around out on the trail, is the price point of the 60s worth it for my application? My only requirement is my rig must be dependable, and most of my time is spent on back country roads and out in the middle of nowhere.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If your only going to do a trail a few times a year don't do what your doing. It's a waste of money. Your going to have a $100,000 paper weight.

rdf_orion

Thats what I am starting to think, I dont have the time right now like I would hope for to get out on the trail. I would really like to run the DTD system and 37s at least, (I spend a lot of time offroad but not crawling, I have a cattle company which is in a pretty remote location and can be subject to heavy weather changes and a lot of snow/mud and rough terrain in certain areas that can be a bitch to get out to). If I were to just run this would I still need an axel change from the standard rubicon d44? Or would regearing be enough? im assuming the long arm kit would be required for the DTD set up regardless of the axel change.

Top Bottom