Lift height opinions please.

matt

Caught the Bug
Hello to the group!

I have a jku with aev 4.5" coils and 35" tires. The fenders are not cut at this point. I think it sits too high, and would like to get some thoughts from the group on what to do.

Drop it an inch or remove the draglink flip and drop down to a 2.5 coil lift. I think most 2.5" coils net about 3" with a light bumper?

Thanks!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I agree with you that 4.5" is way too much lift for 35's. Hell, Moby runs 40's on about that much lift (Moby does have cut fenders.) If you want to stick with 35's I would drop the lift down significantly to get a better center of gravity. Here is a pic of 35's on a 3" Enforcer lift.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377403063.910636.jpg

i agree with sharkey! 4.5" is alot of lift even if you are on 37s. i would look at a 2.5-3" lift if you are going to stay on 35s or a 3.5-4" if you an on going to 37s.

andrew-

matt

Caught the Bug
I am definitely sticking with the 35's for now. I want to keep my local trails "fun".

I spoke with a coil spring vendor and they told me their 2.5 inch coils should get me 3" to 3.5" of lift with my current config. Light bumper winch combo and no rear bumper.

I'm leaning towards pulling the draglink flip and going down to a 3" bumpstop up front. I suppose I should reinforce the factory mount for the panhard bar on the axle side?

I'd like to hear some more opinions of what others would do and their reasoning behind it.

As a side note, I was in a pinch and needed coils before the rubicon run I did in August. So the coils were what was available and the price was right at the time.

Now I want to focus on getting the jeep dialed in.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

matt

Caught the Bug
This is 4.5 with cut fenders and 35's.

View attachment 47761

Are these Evo 3" coils? Cant see in the pic but is your draglink flipped? Does evo make a coil that nets 3-3.5" of actual lift on a stock jeep with no heavy bumpers? all i remember seeing were 3 or 4 inch coils on their site and would think their 3" coil would only drop my jeep an inch.

My measurement from the bottom of the shock mount to the center of the lower bolt is 23 3/8". I think stock they are 18 1/2" or some where around there. almost 5" of lift right now. I thought about cutting the coils but i think i would rather sell them and find a set that will give me around 3" of lift and cut my fenders for now.

It looks like the 3" evo coils give you around 4" on a 4dr, sharky's jeep looks like it sits a little lower than overlander's.

matt

Caught the Bug
This is how the Jeep sits now, the picture was taken right before starting the rubicon last month.

IMG_0549.jpg

Beyrgut

With 35s you will want a 2.5-3 with cut fenders or 3-3.5 without. I run a 3.5 RK mid arm kit without cut fenders and heavy front and rear bumpers and it sits about right. If I were to cut them it would be borderline roller-derby. You didn't specify which vendor coils you were looking at but it does play a part, Teraflex for example are known to run on the high side and others like Rough Country are known to start to sag and run on the low side.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Are these Evo 3" coils? Cant see in the pic but is your draglink flipped? Does evo make a coil that nets 3-3.5" of actual lift on a stock jeep with no heavy bumpers? all i remember seeing were 3 or 4 inch coils on their site and would think their 3" coil would only drop my jeep an inch.

My measurement from the bottom of the shock mount to the center of the lower bolt is 23 3/8". I think stock they are 18 1/2" or some where around there. almost 5" of lift right now. I thought about cutting the coils but i think i would rather sell them and find a set that will give me around 3" of lift and cut my fenders for now.

It looks like the 3" evo coils give you around 4" on a 4dr, sharky's jeep looks like it sits a little lower than overlander's.

No that's the teraflex 3" flex arm. And my drag link is not flipped yet.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
With 35s you will want a 2.5-3 with cut fenders or 3-3.5 without. I run a 3.5 RK mid arm kit without cut fenders and heavy front and rear bumpers and it sits about right. If I were to cut them it would be borderline roller-derby. You didn't specify which vendor coils you were looking at but it does play a part, Teraflex for example are known to run on the high side and others like Rough Country are known to start to sag and run on the low side.

I was rubbing before I cut my fenders. That's the only reason I cut them. They rubbed too much. In fact I still hit them now.

matt

Caught the Bug

I called MC and asked them if the jeep was stock, no winch or bumpers, how much lift over stock do the coils provide. They said the 2.5 coils would net close to 3.5 inches on a stock jeep.

Here is my 3.5" rk lift with 35" toyos. Perfect height with stock fenders in my opinion. If running flats, get a 2.5" lift

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378486836169.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378486836169.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 73

Hollowpoint515

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378490326.379920.jpg

This is mine after bushwacker flat fenders and 35's and then after a teraflex leveling kit and rubicon shocks and springs

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom