Need some CB help

Aeraun

Ok so I have never had any experience whatsoever with a CB but just recently bought my setup - Uniden radio, teraflex antenna mount for the tire carrier, and a firestik 4' antenna. Now, I will admit I didn't do much research before the buy but I understand that I have to do this whole SWR testing stuff and all that, but I just put the mount on the carrier and the antenna doesn't exactly "fit"? And also, it Didn't come with the stud mount things which I didn't even know about, also need to pick up the coax cable. I guess I'm just looking for some general pointers especially if anyone has this antenna/ overall setup, thanks

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
you need the stud mount and the coax first. then everything will fit perfectly. also ask Ed (JKmadness) to bring his SWR to rausch on the next trip. he will help you tune it properly.

KPM171

Cozdude is right, you are missing a couple of pieces.

You'll need...
  • CB
  • Coax
  • Antenna
  • Antenna Mount (Teraflex)
  • Antenna Stud
  • Antenna Spring (optional, but I'm glad I have one)

Maybe I'm a wreckless CBer, but I say tune it later when you have some time & the device. Odds are good that you won't fry it any time soon. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. I helped ScottC with his install recently, so it's pretty fresh in my head.

Ldogg

Take a look at the firestik coax cable with the fire ring, they also have a stud for antenna. I bought my stuff from right channel radios, but you should be able to find it any where including amazon. When You mount the stud and coax there is a specific order it's mounted in. On the fire ring there is a little lip that must go towards the bracket. In my case the ring is below the plate, then a nylon washer with a lip sits on top of the plate, then a flat washer, then a split lock washer and finally the stud. Firestik has good info on their site, and a diagram of what I just described as well.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378484294.545210.jpg

Serg5000

Here ya go.
jegerana.jpg

Aeraun

Awesome, guess I got some more shopping to do. Which would you guys recommend for which cable and stud i get? I was looking at the firestik site and there's a bunch of different. Are they all universal? Or should i be matching them up?

ScottC

Cozdude is right, you are missing a couple of pieces.

You'll need...
  • CB
  • Coax
  • Antenna
  • Antenna Mount (Teraflex)
  • Antenna Stud
  • Antenna Spring (optional, but I'm glad I have one)

Maybe I'm a wreckless CBer, but I say tune it later when you have some time & the device. Odds are good that you won't fry it any time soon. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. I helped ScottC with his install recently, so it's pretty fresh in my head.

Follow KP's parts list and you'll be fine. My CB works great based on his recommendations.

Serg5000

When I ordered my firestick coax cable. It came with everything needed to hook it up on both ends. Even the stud comes with it.

Ldogg

Awesome, guess I got some more shopping to do. Which would you guys recommend for which cable and stud i get? I was looking at the firestik site and there's a bunch of different. Are they all universal? Or should i be matching them up?

Look for the coax with the fire ring, but make sure you get the correct end to go into the cb. The fire ring coax has a mini coax to pl259 connector that screws into the cb. Make sure your cb has that input for the antenna. As far as the stud I think they are pretty similar as well.

Ldogg

Which Uniden Radio did you get. I took a quick look at the Bearcat Compact, and it shows in the owners manual that a PL259 connector into the CB from the antenna is what you need. With that in mind you should look at these items below. If you decide to order from Rightchannel contact them. The reviews for the stud say you don't needs to order the stud if you buy the cable, but the reviews for the cable say you need the stud. not sure which one is right, and I ordered my cobra 75 as a complete set, so I didn't needs any additional parts. Be careful with the coax end when fishing it through into the tub. Make sure the jacket doesn't get caught and torn and then causes a short. That's what happen to me the first time I installed mine. Also you can get an swr meter if your CB doesn't include it for like 10$ on amazon. you just need a 3' coax jumper cable. to test, you unplug the antenna from the cb, plug it into the meter, and then the meter into the cb. it fits inline between the antenna and cb. then to test you need to be in a open area, not a garage, and make sure your in your jeep.

Coax with FireRing
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/firestik-firering-cb-coax-with-fme.html

Fire Ring compatible Stud
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/firering-compatible-antenna-stud.html

Pic of how the ring needs to sit if mounted under the plate
firestik-mu-8r18-4.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom