Why is my front locker working but not my rear?

miguel250r

I'm confused from what I heard the front locker will not work unless the rear is working the front light goes solid but the rear flashes. Today I jacked up the drivers side of the jeep so one front tire and one rear tire is in the air I pushed the axle lock button once and the rear light starts flashing I turn the driver rear tire by hand and the front driver turns with it. Then I push the axle lock button again the front light goes solid rear keeps flashing try to turn tires they won't turn locked in. Just for info its a 07 JKR auto

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

Serg5000

I wasn't sure. My rear locker is factory installed. Mt front I installed later and it's powered through my sPod.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Push the bottom once and the rear should come on. It may blink for a second until it locks fully. Then push the bottom again and the front locker should come on. Same thing, it may blink for a sec. then stay solid when it's fully locked. To unlock press the top of the button

OP maybe you have a sensor issue if it seems to be function correctly mechanically. Just a thought.

miguel250r

No the rear is not locking in mechanicaly and light is flashing but I know for a fact that the front is locking mechanicaly and light is solid

Moochie

I'm confused about why you jacked up the side of the Jeep. Lockers have nothing to do with front to rear wheel spin. Only side to side. Have you checked your electrical connections on the rear diff? Have you driven it with the rear locker light flashing? Sometimes it will work even if the light is flashing. The tires will chirp on turning if it is working.

Atch

Sounds like a great excuse to upgrade to arb's and new shafts! As long as they lock that's all that matters.

HDGasser

Put it in 4LO, jack the ass end up, spin the tires... Tires should spin. Lock the rear end, try and spin again. If they don't spin locker is working its just the sensor that crapped out. That just happened to me, light flashes but locker works.

NOW if lock the rear and the tires don't spin your gonna have to open up the rear end. Put some jack stands under it, drain the gear oil and pull the cover.

The next "usual suspect" is the anti rotation tab, over time they bend and let the part of the locker spin that shouldn't and break the wires, easy fix and its pretty cheap. 10-15 bucks for a new tab and a solder job.

Now if your tab isn't bent, wires aren't broke and you've checked all the connections, relays and fuses... And the locker doesn't work?? Then it's time for an ARB.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'm confused about why you jacked up the side of the Jeep. Lockers have nothing to do with front to rear wheel spin. Only side to side. Have you checked your electrical connections on the rear diff? Have you driven it with the rear locker light flashing? Sometimes it will work even if the light is flashing. The tires will chirp on turning if it is working.

X's 2. The post makes no sense to me.

miguel250r

Because if u jack up one side of the jeep with the axle locks off both tires should spin freely until u lock eighter the front or rear then u shouldn't be able to spin the tires by hand Cuz the passenger side is on the ground

Moochie

Because if u jack up one side of the jeep with the axle locks off both tires should spin freely until u lock eighter the front or rear then u shouldn't be able to spin the tires by hand Cuz the passenger side is on the ground

I would just drive it. You can tell if your lockers are working or not.

HDGasser

You can definitely tell if the fronts working cause it dont turn for chit!

Have you checked all your relays and fuses? Have you crawled underneath it and check the connections at the diff?

miguel250r

You can definitely tell if the fronts working cause it dont turn for chit!

Have you checked all your relays and fuses? Have you crawled underneath it and check the connections at the diff?

Yes it turns like crap I tried swapping relays and same thing I just don't understand how the front is working I was told the front CAN NOT work unless the rear is engaged

HDGasser

Yes it turns like crap I tried swapping relays and same thing I just don't understand how the front is working I was told the front CAN NOT work unless the rear is engaged

You were told wrong.

It's either time to crawl underneath check out the plastic connections at the diff, if all that looks good your gonna have to pull the cover and look for this...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/07-jk-rubi-rear-locker-problem-1254909/

Moochie

Agreed. I can think of no reason why the front wouldn't work because the rear stops working. :thinking: It doesn't even make sense from a fail-safe perspective.

I think he is confusing it with the function of the switch. Rear first, then front.

Top Bottom