Locker Question

So after cruising through the threads on the greatest axle ever made, the Dana 30, I am seeking advice. I realize building up a Dana 30 is a mute point but I do not have the cash right now to layout for a PR44 which is my eventual purchase.

After doing some research I am leaning towards and Ausi Locker for the front with Chromoly shafts. My reasoning is I need a front locker and not looking to spend $1000 on one which I will not be able to use on a the PR44.

Is this a wise choice or just wheel it as is and wait until it breaks?

R/
Will

Can I ask why you NEED a front locker? Why not just lock the rear?

My plan is to put an ARB locker on the rear axle with OBA. Do not want to spend a ton of cash on a Dana 30. The other reason to put a locker on the front is to be able to run trails like MOAB and Rubicon. Get it I live in Florida and those trails are not close but there are plans to run them and want to be ready. There are trails on the East Coast which I do want to run.

And so I seek advice from those who know more than I do.

You can ran almost any trail with just a rear locker front just makes it a lot easier. I just bought my brother in law an Aussie locker for the rear of his grand cherokee and it does work pretty good

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
My plan is to put an ARB locker on the rear axle with OBA. Do not want to spend a ton of cash on a Dana 30. The other reason to put a locker on the front is to be able to run trails like MOAB and Rubicon. Get it I live in Florida and those trails are not close but there are plans to run them and want to be ready. There are trails on the East Coast which I do want to run.

And so I seek advice from those who know more than I do.

For what it's worth I ran the rubicon open/open.

David1tontj

I ran the rubicon several times in my fj40 that only had a rear locker. I wouldn't worry about it in the Dana 30, in my personal opinion it's not worth the risk of breaking it.

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

I ran the rubicon several times in my fj40 that only had a rear locker. I wouldn't worry about it in the Dana 30, in my personal opinion it's not worth the risk of breaking it.

David, thank you for the advice. Just exactly what I was looking for. Put the locker on the rear axle and not worry about the front.

R/
Will

David1tontj

David, thank you for the advice. Just exactly what I was looking for. Put the locker on the rear axle and not worry about the front.

R/
Will

Some day you can build a bigger axle and lock it, but it really isn't a good idea In That axle, especially if it isn't a selectable locker. I've got a good friend who has been open in the front of his yota for ten years and wheeled it hard the whole time... He just got a locker and broke his front axle on the first trip.... Needless to say, he's going back to the reliability of an open front end.

HLKSMSH

IMHO I would not spend the money on what you know you will replace later down the road. I have lived and learned from my own mistakes with spending on what I replaced later.

IMHO I would not spend the money on what you know you will replace later down the road. I have lived and learned from my own mistakes with spending on what I replaced later.

Thank you for more great advice.

The concensus is do not waiste the money on a Dana 30. Put a locker on the Dana 44. Can run the Rubicon open/open.

GetOut

Thank you for more great advice.

The concensus is do not waiste the money on a Dana 30. Put a locker on the Dana 44. Can run the Rubicon open/open.

It all depends on personal situation in my opinion.

I run a D30 with an Aussie, Riddler cover, custom truss, gusseted and sleeved with factory shafts and have had no issues. That being said cost was minimal. With friends I was able to produce gussets, trusses, and sleeves using measurements taken elsewhere for basically the cost of materials. The Aussie locker was a great deal from Northridge at the time I got it two years ago.

Now I left factory shafts for one reason, if I put chromoly shafts in I felt as thought my ring and pinion would then become the weakest link, and I would much rather break an axleshaft on the trail than the ring and pinion, spare D30 shafts seem to come up for sale on the forums fairly frequently for a nominal cost.

Though I have never done the Rubicon or been to Moab, my rig with this set up as seen trails in AZ, NM, CO, as well as frequent trips to Drummond Island, and Turtle Ridge ORV as well as a few other places around Michigan

Thank you for your honest input. Did not think to leave the stock shafts in. Figured if I replaced them chromoly they would last long not taking into consideration the ring and pinion becoming the weakest link. Something to think about.

R/
Will

matt1171

I'm running a Lockright locker in the front of my D30 and love it. As long as you take it easy and don't go crazy on the skinny peddle you should be fine. The cost of sleeves and gussets is fairly inexpensive to build the D30 up a little bit - especially when compared to a PR44.

TheDuff

Plenty of moab trails do not require lockers. Sure, they would be easier, and you could take harder lines, but u would be surprised what a stock rig can accomplish there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom