Auto locker or limited slip

DCR JEEP

I've been looking into Aussie lockers but then there are issues about understeer and losing control on roads with an auto locker. Can I get some feedback on limited slip diffs and auto lockers? Which one should I go with? My JK is my DD so want it to keep it safe as well as perform good offroad wise.

Atch

Living in Florida an auto locker would be fine on the road. Most people that complain about auto lockers on road handling have issues on the snow & ice.

UtahJK

Living in Florida an auto locker would be fine on the road. Most people that complain about auto lockers on road handling have issues on the snow & ice.

I had an auto locker in the front of my old xj, never going to do that again. Snow and ice on road was terrible. Even off road, once in four wheel drive, I had terrible torque steer and had trouble steering. And to the op, just because you live somewhere warm doesn't mean you will never find yourself on snowy roads. I can't imagine one in the rear being very bad at all, but I wouldn't put one in the front.

I asked the same question about three days ago and the conclusion was to lock the rear and not put money into a Dana 30. Actually OverlanderJK stated he ran the Rubicon this past summer open/open. I also received advise to put am locker on the rear axle. Going to wait and see what momma has to say. If you are going to rehear later it was recommended to wait and do it all at once.

DCR JEEP

I had an auto locker in the front of my old xj, never going to do that again. Snow and ice on road was terrible. Even off road, once in four wheel drive, I had terrible torque steer and had trouble steering. And to the op, just because you live somewhere warm doesn't mean you will never find yourself on snowy roads. I can't imagine one in the rear being very bad at all, but I wouldn't put one in the front.

I've researched some stuff last night if anything I'm probably going to get an eaton elocker for the rear and a Detroit locker for the front this way I won't have any driving issues. It will be locked when in 4wd. Or I might just save up for a set of front and rear eaton elockers and call it a day. Thanks

UtahJK

Go for selectable up front for sure. It drove fine in 2wd, it's when I put it in 4wd that the problems arose.

DCR JEEP

I asked the same question about three days ago and the conclusion was to lock the rear and not put money into a Dana 30. Actually OverlanderJK stated he ran the Rubicon this past summer open/open. I also received advise to put am locker on the rear axle. Going to wait and see what momma has to say. If you are going to rehear later it was recommended to wait and do it all at once.

Yeah I'll probably just save up to buy two e lockers for the front and rear. It's not worth breaking my DD. And I'm not going to do any like hardcore rock crawling with it anyways so I'm not too worried about the d30

Beyrgut

What about air lockers? Somewhere down the road I plan on getting the arb compressor for airing up tires might as well double duty it to run lockers.

DCR JEEP

What about air lockers? Somewhere down the road I plan on getting the arb compressor for airing up tires might as well double duty it to run lockers.

That's my second option, depends on price ranges. Can you run the lockers off the same arb compressor under the hood for airing down??

I too am going to put OBA but going to wait until I have to replace my Dana 30 up front before putting air lockers on. When the Dana 30 is replaced with a PR44 with differenct gears I will regear the Rear Dana 44 with like gears and air locker at the same time. Keeps me from having to pay labor twice. Just my :twocents:

DCR JEEP

I too am going to put OBA but going to wait until I have to replace my Dana 30 up front before putting air lockers on. When the Dana 30 is replaced with a PR44 with differenct gears I will regear the Rear Dana 44 with like gears and air locker at the same time. Keeps me from having to pay labor twice. Just my :twocents:

Yeah that's a nice setup. A nice fresh Dynatrac in the front!

GetOut

I've been looking into Aussie lockers but then there are issues about understeer and losing control on roads with an auto locker. Can I get some feedback on limited slip diffs and auto lockers? Which one should I go with? My JK is my DD so want it to keep it safe as well as perform good offroad wise.

Once again I will throw a different opinion out there than the majority. But first, the ideal situation is a PR44 or 60 with a selectable locker, but hey, the funds are just not there for all of us.

That being said, I run 4.88s on my DD JKU with an Aussie up front and a Detroit in the rear. I live in Michigan and snow/ice is a way of life (no pun intended). Now I will agree that an auto locker in 4wd on ice/snow can get interesting if you are driving in a manner in which you should not be for the conditions at hand. However, if the snow/ice is so bad that you need to be in 4wd then there is no way in hell you should be driving fast enough to face the issues that the auto locker can create. Locker or no locker ice and snow mean you need to drive more conservatively, 4wd will not make you invincible in these conditions, if anything it will get you into trouble faster due to the false sense of security. There have been people driving with auto lockers in these conditions for many years before the selectable locker came into the world. Me personally I have logged 40k+ miles with my setup in every climate condition imaginable and I have never had an issue.

Auto lockers do come with their quirks though. If you do decide to go that route be prepared for random clicks and pops, it is in their nature.

Last edited:

DCR JEEP

Once again I will throw a different opinion out there than the majority. But first, the ideal situation is a PR44 or 60 with a selectable locker, but hey, the funds are just not there for all of us.

That being said, I run 4.88s on my DD JKU with an Aussie up front and a Detroit in the rear. I live in Michigan and snow/ice is a way of life (no pun intended). Now I will agree that an auto locker in 4wd on ice/snow can get interesting if you are driving in a manner in which you should not be for the conditions at hand. However, if the snow/ice is so bad that you need to be in 4wd then there is no way in hell you should be driving fast enough to face the issues that the auto locker can create. Locker or no locker ice and snow mean you need to drive more conservatively, 4wd will not make you invincible in these conditions, if anything it will get you into trouble faster due to the false sense of security. There have been people driving with auto lockers in these conditions for many years before the selectable locker came into the world. Me personally I have logged 40k+ miles with my setup in every climate condition imaginable and I have never had an issue.

Auto lockers do come with their quirks though. If you do decide to go that route be prepared for random clicks and pops, it is in their nature.

Oh don't worry I'm not worried about sounds I get to hear my 50" light bar howlin down the road as well as the sound of my flapping soft top. Thanks for the advice!

espi

Have you looked into Eaton truetrac? I have heard great things about them. I am thinking about one for the front since I have the factory limited slip.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

oz-jeep

AUTO or LSD

This is the exact question ive been asking myself for my Front Diff.
Iv'e Had an AUTO Lunchbox Locker (LOKKA) hated that,
Iv'e had a LSD Truetrack loved that, but they don't fully lock up or transfer 100% to one wheel, also If a wheel is lifted the wheel on the ground will loose drive and the lifted wheel spins.

What about the EGerodisc from Eaton? Same as whats in Jeep Grand Cherokees with Quadradrive, can they be put in a JK DANA 30 OR 44??? Variable LSD Zero to 100% Lock up! seem ideal for a Front Diff.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Automotive/DifferentialsLockingDifferentials/PCT_225758
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUlX97jNHEA&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Top Bottom