2013 JK Pinch point question.

Achilies

I found the following info very helpful however I was wondering how you go about trimming this rear pinchpoint? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Q: What size lift do I need to get in order to fit 35" Tires?
A: You can practically run 35" tires stock but, you will need to run flat fenders or trim your factory set down. You will also need to trim your pinch seams to prevent them from digging into your rear tires when articulating. I personally would recommend a minimum of a 2.5" budget boost with a 1" body lift to do this with stock fenders but, a 3" lift would be a better way to go.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
I think that the '13s come with the pinch seam already trimmed

That is correct sir...it is now angled 45 degrees instead of squared....apparently the design engineers at Chrysler found out about that flaw and corrected it. Kudos to the design geeks!!!:beer:

Achilies

Well, unfortunately, mine is a 13 JK 2 door Rubicon and it is squared off. The rock rail is about 2 inches too long as well because it extends to the end of the squared off pinch point. So I need to trim the rails the 2 inches and cut the pinch point in a 45. Just not sure how I'm going to cut the 45 degree on there.

Trembley

Sawzall with a fresh blade or a grinder with cutting wheel....done. Fill cavity with JB Quick Weld.

matt08jk

I was considering doing this myself. Curious if anyone has pics of theres

JT

Its really easy. I just did it a few days ago. I used a hack saw on the pinch seam (took 30 seconds) and filled with JB weld, then repainted. The rubi rails I cut down 1". I am clearing 35" NITTO Trail Grapplers with just a leveling kit and wheel spacers on a 2-door JKR.

Im on a different computer or I would add pictures, but if you go to my build thread (matt08jk build thread) I just posted pictures of the before and after. Hopefully it helps!

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
I believe there is a number of early '13's that still retain the old design pinch seam........not sure where along they changed over to the new design, but nearly all the new '13's that i have seen have the newly designed pinch seam.

matt08jk

Thx everyone.
Got back to my computer. Heres a before (again 35's, leveling kit, 2-door).
Pinch1.jpg
...and after trimming 1.25" from the pinch seam and 1" from the rails.
Pinch4.jpg
Heres how the cut (with a hacksaw) looked after I stuffed it with JB Weld.
Pinch2.jpg

Achilies

Thx. Just took the rail off and it looks easier than I thought. Having trouble getting the plastic end cap off tho. Lol

matt08jk

Thx. Just took the rail off and it looks easier than I thought. Having trouble getting the plastic end cap off tho. Lol

You have to break the plastic screw off the bottom and it slides right out. If you leave it in its hard to remove.

Top Bottom