180 degree thermostat

jeeeep

Hooked
Have you eliminated the following:
Fan not engaging hi-speed at correct temperature
radiator blocked, mud etc, the back side seems to be where it collects. I noticed this even with dust after a week in Moab when I washed my Jeep.
Are you using the proper antifreeze? Chrysler requires antifreeze with HOAT, Valvoline Zerex works well.

Problem with installing a cooler thermostat is it can actually increase the operating temperature, with so much of the electronics operating within certain temperature range it can cause more issues than it solves.

jeeeep

Hooked
have you pulled the radiator and flow tested it or have it pressure tested?

if it's not flowing properly that'll cause it to run hot.

Jersey_Devil

What do u mean by "running hot" because when I got my first jk I thought it was Runnin hot too till I found out most all Jk's run with the needle in the middle of the temp gauge.... So I'm curious of this too about the 180 the stat.... I have a jet chip that states I NEED a 180° T-stat

jeeeep

Hooked
What do u mean by "running hot" because when I got my first jk I thought it was Runnin hot too till I found out most all Jk's run with the needle in the middle of the temp gauge.... So I'm curious of this too about the 180 the stat.... I have a jet chip that states I NEED a 180° T-stat

you must be running the stageII module? I had this on my 2005 GC Hemi and it did make it run hotter without the 180° thermostat, also made it run kind of crappy without changing the thermostat, once I changed out the thermostat it ran at normal operating temp, guess advancing the timing and fuel ratios really did change... I miss that Hemi

To the original OP, how often do you do a complete coolant change? if it's been a while, I'd recommend having the radiator professionally flushed before changing the thermostat.

Last edited:

Parker "P.T." JK

you must be running the stageII module? I had this on my 2005 GC Hemi and it did make it run hotter without the 180° thermostat, also made it run kind of crappy without changing the thermostat, once I changed out the thermostat it ran at normal operating temp, guess advancing the timing and fuel ratios really did change... I miss that Hemi

To the original OP, how often do you do a complete coolant change? if it's been a while, I'd recommend having the radiator professionally flushed before changing the thermostat.

I flushed everything a month ago, all the electronics work, I've cleaned everything out

Rollincoal420

Just because the t stat is 180° doesn't necessarily mean the jeep will run at that temp. The cooling system, and engine management system may not be designed to maintain efficiency at that temp. My old xj, I fought and fought to keep the jeep below 200° electric fans, New radiator, water pump, fresh coolant, fresh back flush. Nothing worked until I piped a Ford e350 radiator into the back of it.

I would put the t stat in, but don't be upset if it still gets to 200, 210, 220° I'm not sure exactly where the jk runs but it's gotta b around there

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

HDGasser

I actually just did a bunch of cooling stuff this past weekend since my stock fan died and almost cooked my Hemi Jk.

Before driving on the freeways 80ish it would be around +/- 210*. After a full coolant flush with Zerex Go5, water wetter, 185* tstat, Spal fan and shroud I haven't seen it pass 190*.

Granted this is a hemi crammed in a JK, but still the same heat issues. I've got a Poison spyder hood louver setup being delivered today and will go on this weekend.

So far I am happy with operating temps now but I won't feel 100% I till I take it out on the trail and get it hot again

Top Bottom