Loud Horns on your Jeep?

GuillaumeC91

So I don't really don't why, I've just always wanted to do this but never had the vehicle for it. I'm thinking a loud horn would be cool and funny at the same time. I don't really feel like doing a full air set-up with compressor and tank but I was wondering if I was the only one with this cazy idea. Does anybody have cool horn set-ups on their Jeeps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNrt4dCKqtY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

David1tontj

Yep, I've got a log truck horn bolted alongside my transfer case. It's the only place a nearly 3 foot long horn would fit! Anyway, I already have onboard air and my bumper is a tank, so it was a super easy install for me. It literally makes people jump when I let it go!! I can post up a couple pic of the system if anyone cares. I'll have to take some though

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

David1tontj

Ok guys here is a couple pics of the mounting of the horn and the air that feeds it. I do realize that it would have been better to have it pointed out in front better, but in a Tj you are very limited on space! I will try to take a video when I get home from work as my neighbors, wife, and daughter would kill me if I did it now! Haha ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378905065.449794.jpg
View of the back of the horn
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378905098.003453.jpg
View of front- yes I get crap in it every now and then. I just hold down the horn and it clears out!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378905165.490647.jpg
My onboard air system- viair 400 compressor, check valve, manifold, pressure switch, and solenoid for the horn. One of those air hoses goes out to the rear bumper which serves as my 3.5 gallon air tank. The pressure switch turns the compressor on at 80psi, and off at 100.

GuillaumeC91

Ok guys here is a couple pics of the mounting of the horn and the air that feeds it. I do realize that it would have been better to have it pointed out in front better, but in a Tj you are very limited on space! I will try to take a video when I get home from work as my neighbors, wife, and daughter would kill me if I did it now! Haha View attachment 48584
View of the back of the horn
View attachment 48585
View of front- yes I get crap in it every now and then. I just hold down the horn and it clears out!
View attachment 48586
My onboard air system- viair 400 compressor, check valve, manifold, pressure switch, and solenoid for the horn. One of those air hoses goes out to the rear bumper which serves as my 3.5 gallon air tank. The pressure switch turns the compressor on at 80psi, and off at 100.

As if! That's a serious setup! Can't wait to hear it!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Ive ran setups like this on my previous cars that had air ride but always regulated the pressure down since they can be very, very loud. Deff will scare anyone and make them jump. Toned down they are still loud and get the point across. I tested it full blast before tho and you could hear the tripple setup i ran from a mile and a half away.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Had a really old AAHHOOOGGAAHHH! horn on my '48 flattie. Cops gave me grief for "whistling" at pretty girls at an intersection.:asshat:'s!!

pvanweelden

Nice setup David! I have a 4 horn train horn, 3 gallon tank in the trunk
Also have an air raid horn, and an aahhoogah horn that sounds more like dying geese :D
1378907699905.jpg

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

GuillaumeC91

Man that's crazy! All I want is to make my Jeep sound like a semi. I don't need to go as far as a train, or to freek people out lmao! Just want to get the point across when someone cuts me off, and all they see is a big Jeep grill in their rear view!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
hella supertones are a good choice as well, they deffinitly are a good upgrade. Or even the cheaper autozone/pepboys "air" horn setup. just not sure how well they would hold up on our jeeps with water crossings and all

ssgp2

... rear bumper which serves as my 3.5 gallon air tank. The pressure switch turns the compressor on at 80psi, and off at 100.

What brand of rear bumper?
It's the first time I read about the bumper/air tank.

pvanweelden

Bumpers and sliders are commonly used as air tanks, since space is usually limited in most vehicles
i had 3"x4"x 3/16" Tube Steel sliders built in to my rockers on my XJ that doubled as tanks.

i am sure that David built his bumper and planned ahead to incorporate it as a tank.
Not something you are going to find easily from a manufacturer, because a pressurized air tank is "unsafe" in any vehicle

Last edited:

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
Bumpers and sliders are commonly used as air tanks, since space is usually limited in most vehicles
i had 3"x4"x 3/16" Tube Steel sliders built in to my rockers on my XJ that doubled as tanks.

i am sure that David built his bumper and planned ahead to incorporate it as a tank.
Not something you are going to find easily from a manufacturer, because a pressurized air tank is "unsafe" in any vehicle

You are correct. He custom made the bumpers on his Jeep.

BBrown626

On a recent trip my rental car was a VW Passat. The horn was very loud for a car. It would be a huge improvement over the Jeep horn and it doesn't require air. of course it might be a lot more expensive than the Hella.

David1tontj

You nailed it! Homemade bumper and space is a premium! Here's that video, you can't really tell how loud it is in a video, but you get the idea
http://youtu.be/I3kPcZ-ETsU

The noise after the horn is my compressor kicking on. I should have shut it off for the video.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
that's loud! I need to get rid of my horn - it takes too much pressure to get to sound and if I don't press on it just right it does nothing.

Not much good as most the time the reason I used it is long gone or it doesn't work at all.

JeepJKpwr

FYI - Hella horns suck especially for the price. I have the badboy airhorn. Purchased it at Harbor Freight for $30 on sale. Scares the crap out of people and mounted it in the stock location. The only modification I had to make was change out the fuse from a 10 to a 20.

Top Bottom