315/70R17 tires with stock wheels and stock fenders on 2.5" lift & 1.5" wheel spacers

kRay.JK

315/70R17 tires with stock wheels and stock fenders on 2.5" lift & 1.5" wheel spacers

I tried to do as much research as possible before buying my tires and it paid off. I'm putting all of that info right here for everyone to see and reference.

2.5" Rough Country Budget Boost spacer lift kit
1.5" Rough Country wheel spacers torqued to 95lb ft with blue loctite
JKS adjustable front trackbar
2" trimmed rubi-rails
2" trimmed rear pinch weld seam

The tire will stuff fully but will hit the fender if you turn the steering wheel to either side.

The tire will also touch the front bumper when turned towards the inside.

To solve both issues with the front tires I installed a Teraflex 2" bumpstop extension kit. The front tires no longer hit the fender flair and barely graze the front bumper. I am going to try to heat up the front bumper and mold it in a little so they miss it all together.

Remember to trim your pinch weld seam and rubi-rails or the rear tire will make contact. I filled with RTV and painted over it with Detonator Yellow to match.

I lost a little flex but it's worth it to not destroy expensive fenders and tires.

Last edited:

kRay.JK

Why this setup? Looks to me like there is no room for any articulation!!!!!

Snapfish

Because some of us can't afford thousands of dollars in lift kit components to fit larger tires. I spent $50 on the lift kit, $50 on the wheelspacers, $15 on the bumpstop extensions, and $180 on the trackbar. This allowed me to fit 35" tires very cheaply. I plan on replacing the front shocks with some that will add back in 2" of droop that I lost to the bumpstops.

I always thought it flexed pretty darn well for a stock vehicle!
EsqYWWIl.png

X2QkCetl.png

Last edited:

snapfish

Ok...the budget $$$ makes perfect sense now....
I have been shopping around for a 3" lift kit for my stock JKUR, but they are way expensive and some are over priced and are not within my budget ..... So looks like I am your follower here....;)

Does this mod changed how your jeep drives and offloads? Could you describe your experience with it? Thanks

Snapfish

kRay.JK

Just make sure you install EVERYTHING and then have a good quality alignment shop align your vehicle. Caster will be under spec but it's not terrible until going over 3" of lift. This will cause a slight floating feeling while at speed on the highway. Bumps will be slightly more harsh due to the increased angle of the control arms with the lift but nothing horrible or bone jarring. I actually prefer the slightly stiffer ride. Everything else feels normal.

If you do not get a proper alignment you could experience all sorts of issues with steering, tracking, vibrations, and control. My toe was 4 degrees off of spec. My caster is 2.7 degrees and should be closer to 5 degrees. There is no way to adjust caster without aftermarket adjustable control arms. My camber was okay, which tells me my inner C's haven't bent yet. I need to get some gussets welded on there soon.

kRay.JK

Yes, you can...but no, you can't. Not like a precision laser system can. I tried that write-up. That's how I ended up with new tires. I thought everything was in spec but come to find out it was nearly 3-4 degrees off. After a weekend trip to Ohio my front tires were so badly cupped that they would no longer balance out or stay quiet. I also had a lot of floating on the highway do in part to the poor caster angle and toe being off.

I think the write-up is great for getting close after doing any kind of steering or major suspension work but I HIGHLY recommend you have a profession quality alignment if you want maximum life out of your expensive tires. Having just dropped $1200 on rubber I wasn't about to trust it to my garage and a lowes measuring tape. To each his own, though.

Lloydsmale

if you want to stay low budget I did the stock bumper shortening thing. You cut your existing bumpers and put the supplied caps on them. I think it was like 75 bucks and I think it looks much better then stock

Top Bottom