Rear Drive Shaft Install

BBrown626

Is the rear drive shaft install procedure (torque on the pinion end) the same as the front procedure, particularly with regard to the nut on the yoke (160 lb ft)?

Hoping to install a set of Coast shafts today.

Thank you.

pastorwug

Unfortunately there are no instructions available from JE Reel (if that's what you bought). They do speak about rotational torque so here's what a Google search showed:

The rotational torque on your pinion nut is important to measure for proper re-installation of your NEW pinion nut that you buy at the dealer parts place.

To quote from another universe:
Put in neutral, spread brake pads so they don't drag on disc, using a inch pound torque wrench (needle indicator type) that can measure as low as 2 1/2 inch pounds of torque (kd tools p/n 2955) and a 1 1/4" or 35 mm socket on the nut, rotate the pinion flange and record how much torque it takes to move it (mine took 20 inch lbs to turn the flange). Do this several times so you can get an average.

Once you've established the rotational torque average then that's what you'll be shooting for when you attach the new yoke (differential end). Start at 150 ft. lbs when you retorque the nut and then gently (?) apply increments of 5 ft.lbs to the nut until you reach you average rotational torque you had before you removed the nut.

I guess not everyone re-installs the dust shield but make sure you put some RTV on the splines of the new yoke before re-torquing. Put red locktite on nut threads, but you'll need to work quickly as you adjust the installation torque, stuff dries quickly.

Last edited:

BBrown626

I am using Coast shafts.
The write-up has you recycle the pinion nut. It also makes no mention of the o-ring from the transfer case end.

Thanks for the feedback.

Although I'm not using the coast shafts, I believe Tom Woods does make reference to an actual torque in their online directions. I wouldnt think there'd be much difference in that respect.

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

pastorwug

You do not use the o-ring, just toss it.

Also - pretty sure the directions are the same for any driveshaft maker.
The rotational torque issue is something that can affect the life of the differential.
No rotational torque issues for the transfer case.

Just a suggestion.

BBrown626

You do not use the o-ring, just toss it.

Also - pretty sure the directions are the same for any driveshaft maker.
The rotational torque issue is something that can affect the life of the differential.
No rotational torque issues for the transfer case.

Just a suggestion.

Do you have a reference for tossing the o-ring? The fitting is recessed, apparently for an o-ring. The nut does not fit into the recessed area as the flange of the nut is too big.

I also found directions on another company's site that uses the same end fittings. They say to use the o-ring.

Top Bottom