Hard top panel stain

jared181920

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had stains on their hard top panels that look like this...

IMG_7064.jpg

I had stored the panels in the bag that came with my Jeep for the summer in the garage. When I went to put the hard top and the panels on I was met by that mess when I pulled the panels out of the bag.

I should clarify that they were not washed with any chemicals prior to storage, nothing was spilt on the bag, and there was no damage done to the exterior side of the panels.

They were stored with the white side facing in against eachother, with the felt type material in the middle between them. Interestingly it looks like here is mold on that material that separates the two panels in the bag. I'm wondering if perhaps the heat and changes in temperature may have caused the material or the panels to sweat, creating condensation inside the bag or something.

Either way I'm really not happy about this, especially since the hard top had only been used for 3 months before I took it off.:( I hit it with every cleaner (CLR, Simple Green, Goo Gone, etc) that I had handy tonight with no luck. The panel above was the worst of the two - the other one saw a moderate improvement after cleaning it.

Anyways, just wondering if you guys have seen anything like this.

I'm going to make another attempt to clean them with just some regular soap and hot water tomorrow, and possibly take them back to the dealership on Monday with the bag to show them what happened.

I was thinking as another option (assuming the dealership doesn't want to do anything) would be to either hit it with some white paint, or buy one of the hard top insulation kits, as that would cover most of the stained area.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Definitely looks like mildew, more likely from the bag.

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Works great on stuff like that. I've used it on my hard top panels after putting my greasy paws all over them. Just like new now. Good luck.

Oh and a quick recommendation on the mildew. Spray it lightly with some 50/50 bleach/water to kill the mold.

Beyrgut

if you hadn't already mentioned trying to clean I would think it was mold. Were it just mold I would suggest good ole fashion bleach, probably would still try that vs painting over it.

jared181920

Thank you for the replies guys!

I wasn't totally sure if bleach would hurt the fibreglass so I was a bit hesitant to try that, but I'll try the bleach/water mix like you guys said and see I that helps.

I'll also try out the vinegar and Mr. Clean suggestions as well.

Hopefully I'll be posting back in a few hours with a picture of a clean panel! Lol

Zstairlessone

Thank you for the replies guys!

I wasn't totally sure if bleach would hurt the fibreglass so I was a bit hesitant to try that, but I'll try the bleach/water mix like you guys said and see I that helps.

I'll also try out the vinegar and Mr. Clean suggestions as well.

Hopefully I'll be posting back in a few hours with a picture of a clean panel! Lol

Did you ever try the bleach? How did it work?

jeeeep

Hooked
I forget what this mold is called but here's something I stumbled on when cleaning some mold off my boat interior engine well (fiberglass) - I don't use bleach, the smell and it takes a lot to get the mold spores that seep deeper in.

3 parts Vinegar to 1 part water ...also get some hydrogen peroxide and mix in at least 2 parts so - 3 parts V, 2 parts HP, 1 part water, make small batches ..spray and let it sit for a few minutes then scrub off...it if doesn't come off right away let it sit for 30 minutes... don't let it dry on. you can also use some baking powder to make a paste to soak it with.

This mold is the same type that can also spread on the paint and it's hell to get off - I've had good results with the mixture and not have to deal with the bleach smell.

oh the peroxide I ended up using because I was looking for distilled water in the cabinet and that's all I had....

JKRed13

I agree...try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I'd be surprised if it didn't work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jared181920

Sorry for the delay guys. I tried out the Mr. Clean eraser, the vinegar mix, and no luck.

I decided against trying bleach on the panels, mostly cause I can't stand the smell of if.

When I brought the Jeep to the dealership they tried this cleaner they had there, and it seemed to work. However in order for them to clean it they required more time, and naturally more of my money...

A friend of mine suggested a product called Marine Clean, which I believe is made by the company that makes POR-15. I'm going to give that a try this week and see how it goes.

Top Bottom