Toyo MT versus Nitto Mt

Gnmaniatis

I'm looking at making the jump up to 37's and was wondering whats the difference with the Toyo and Nitto mud terrain. I was told they are the same company, and the toyos are for full size trucks, and the nittos run a little narrower. Any insight here. Any reason why I would go with one over the other?
Thanks in advance!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are you looking at the Nitto "Trail Grappler" MT or the "Mud Grappler" MT? The later is essentially a Toyo MT in size and carcass only with a much more aggressive tread. The Trail Grappler is not a Range E tire and therefore has sidewalls that are a little weaker by comparison but, still really tough and has a rubber compound that will do a better job on the rocks. Also, because of the softer rubber, it will also wear out a bit faster than Toyo's. I've run all 3 tires and you really can't go wrong with any of them. If I were forced to choose, I would get the Trail Grapplers if only because of how well they perform overall.

Bearjew1

well i would think it comes down to...do you plan to do more road driving or trail riding? in all it would be ideal if we can all say trail riding but if your gonna drop the cash you gotta go for the which gonna last longer.everyone i speak to or hear about says you cant beat the mileage you get from the toyo

NY1982JK

I'm getting ready to drop money on a set of 35's soon. I do a lot of highway driving(about 600 miles a week) with mild trail riding maybe once every other weekend. From what I've been finding, it seems the Toyo's run a bit more expensive than the Nitto Trail Graps (Unless someone can point me in the right direction). If what you guys are saying about Toyo's getting better mileage is true, I would like to go with the Toyo's. My question is how much of a mileage difference could I estimate with the Toyo Open Country's over the Trail Graps. Is it enough to justify the extra coin (about $50 a tire from what I've found)? Or is it simply marginal and I should just save the 250 bucks and go with the Trail Graps???

Jeepin_Jeepata13

I'm getting ready to drop money on a set of 35's soon. I do a lot of highway driving(about 600 miles a week) with mild trail riding maybe once every other weekend. From what I've been finding, it seems the Toyo's run a bit more expensive than the Nitto Trail Graps (Unless someone can point me in the right direction). If what you guys are saying about Toyo's getting better mileage is true, I would like to go with the Toyo's. My question is how much of a mileage difference could I estimate with the Toyo Open Country's over the Trail Graps. Is it enough to justify the extra coin (about $50 a tire from what I've found)? Or is it simply marginal and I should just save the 250 bucks and go with the Trail Graps???

Same boat as you bro. I really like the Toyo's, but a little pricey. I think with the amount of highway we drive the TG's would wear down really fast and would be more cost effective to go with a harder rubber. I think Toyo's say around 75,000 miles unless someone can give a better answer. From what I've been told from my Jeep guy, good luck finding them in 35 for a good price.

NY1982JK

Same boat as you bro. I really like the Toyo's, but a little pricey. I think with the amount of highway we drive the TG's would wear down really fast and would be more cost effective to go with a harder rubber. I think Toyo's say around 75,000 miles unless someone can give a better answer. From what I've been told from my Jeep guy, good luck finding them in 35 for a good price.

Yeah. Think the best I've seen the Toyo's go for is around 350 a piece shipped for 35's. A few sites are a bit lower but add in shipping and BAM!, $350-360 a tire. I keep scanning ebay as well and have found great deals on some Walker Evans Beadlocks that I want, but the tires I so desperately need first, not so much.

NY1982JK

I wouldn't estimate as high as 75k. I would say from what I've heard between 45-50k. This is only based on what I've read. A guy I work with has a massive TRD Tundra with 37" Open Country MT's and he is averaging about 45k a set. Granted his truck weighs substantially more than our JK's. I believe the Open Country AT/2's are more along the lines of 65K miles like you're thinking, but I know if I'm going to drop this much money on rubber, I'm getting MT's.

Cjacks95

Banned
I have 35x12.50r17 toyo open country MTs I love them. They grip so well. Air down nicely (at 15psi looked like 10psi)
Been told they have an amazing tread life but only have had them for about 3000 miles. Look brand new still tho.

My boss (I work at a tire shop) decided to go to the Nitto trail grapplers (MT) on his taco... He took them out once and they are already missing chunks and showing wear (probably has 1000 miles on them if that)

My vote TOYOS!!!! Best tire on the market right now

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
I have 6k on my Nitto TGs ran 5 trails with no chunks missing. Tread still looks brand new. The only difference I've noticed from the open country mt is that with the nittos I don't spin.... Ever.

Geaux-jeep

What did you go with?

I'm currently having the same debate with myself. Trail Grapplers vs Open Country. I've found a shop that can get me either for essentially the same price. Which did you choose and how have they worked out?

THANKS!!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Both are great tires so it comes down to which one you like the look of more.

Sent from my iPhone

Top Bottom