weird pop from the driver side rear end.

Russell B

I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd and when I let out the clutch and I heard a pop like in the rear driver side wheel. Does anyone know what that might be?

Russell B

Yes that is bad.... Now you say the wheel has play??? this needs clarification

My brother in law is about to oist a video we went out and took the wheel off. And also I am getting water in my rear axle I just changed it Saturday and its got water in it again from the 4 wheel trip we just got back from.

Army_Vet

Banned
My brother in law is about to oist a video we went out and took the wheel off. And also I am getting water in my rear axle I just changed it Saturday and its got water in it again from the 4 wheel trip we just got back from.

ya also not good

Chairokey

The fix is to take it to a driveline shop.... Or the dealer if its under warranty. There is most deff something broken in there.

Lol thanks for that. It's a 97 tj and not under warrantee. We're more the "learn by doing it yourself" type. Anyone have anymore input here?

Chairokey

It may just be the c-clip.... How much play does the other side have?

well we didnt take the wheel off and check the other side, but on the trail we shook the rear end and only saw play on the 1 driver side. no play in the other side while the wheels are on the ground

Army_Vet

Banned
well we didnt take the wheel off and check the other side, but on the trail we shook the rear end and only saw play on the 1 driver side. no play in the other side while the wheels are on the ground

Gotta check em up in the air...... Check up and down also...

mrjester

I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd and when I let out the clutch and I heard a pop like in the rear driver side wheel. Does anyone know what that might be?

i have the same thing happens on my 1997 TJ sport..lol..thought i was the only one with the phantom popping. I've torn my rear end completely down and put back together again and still same thing. Has been happening for like a year and its very seldom. I do have a detroit locker in my rear end so i'm assuming it has to do with that. Just too much acceleration around a corner and it will do it. And it always happens when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. If you find there is a problem and a solution please share. I haven't found anything wrong with mine.

Last edited:

Brewman

That's a C-clip axle and it shouldn't have that much movement. What kind of diff do you have in there? If it is a c-clip problem you really don't want to drive on it, as the whole shaft can come out.

Russell B

i have the same thing happens on my 1997 TJ sport..lol..thought i was the only one with the phantom popping. I've torn my rear end completely down and put back together again and still same thing. Has been happening for like a year and its very seldom. I do have a detroit locker in my rear end so i'm assuming it has to do with that. Just too much acceleration around a corner and it will do it. And it always happens when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. If you find there is a problem and a solution please share. I haven't found anything wrong with mine.

I have a Detroit locker in my rear end too. But why does my axle get water in it? Sorry it took me awhile to post.

Russell B

That's a C-clip axle and it shouldn't have that much movement. What kind of diff do you have in there? If it is a c-clip problem you really don't want to drive on it, as the whole shaft can come out.

I have a Detroit locker in my rear end too. But why does my axle get water in it? Sorry it took me awhile to post.

David1tontj

You do have a proper vent cap on it?? I always re-route the vent to somewhere nice and high, you can even put a loop in it to be safe

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

David1tontj

That's the only way I've ever gotten water in my axle, but when I did have water in the axle it acted very strange (vibrating and shaking)

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Top Bottom