Rear Trackbar & Spings Issues

zeddjb

So I just returned from a weekend of wheeling at a friends place and while up there my friends and I noticed a strange sound coming from the rear of the Jeep. The sound would occur when the Jeep would make a full downward travel and back up. After some head scratching :thinking: and troubleshooting one of my friends noticed that my rear springs had some scuff marks on them and they looked like metal on metal; sure enough that was the sound we were hearing. :doh:

Anyone know of a bracket that will move the rear track bar out of the way of the rear springs or maybe some other fix? It's not causing any "real" damage but it is awfully annoying. :mad:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
it's hard to tell but, is it safe to assume you have a 4-door JK and if so, what kind of lift do you have? do you have a JKS rear track bar or something like it? this is a common problem and one that would require different methods of addressing it depending on what all you have and have set to. more info is needed.

zeddjb

it's hard to tell but, is it safe to assume you have a 4-door JK and if so, what kind of lift do you have? do you have a JKS rear track bar or something like it? this is a common problem and one that would require different methods of addressing it depending on what all you have and have set to. more info is needed.

Yes I have a 2012, 4 Door JKUR. I have a four inch lift kit with different all different parts. All the control arms are Rough Country, the coil springs are from Teraflex, the shocks are OME and the trackbars are still stock. I know that I should probably upgrade to better trackbars but I'm not certain that would fix my issue would it?

Below are some pictures I took a few minutes ago. Sorry for all the mud; I haven't had time to clean it all up yet. However, you can see that the trackbar on the passenger side is rubbing/making contact with the spring. It doesn't seem to be an issue on the driver side though. I hope these pictures give you a better idea of the issue I'm having.

_MG_8263.jpg _MG_8756.jpg _MG_8757.jpg _MG_8758.jpg _MG_8759.jpg

MTG

Caught the Bug
Yes I have a 2012, 4 Door JKUR. I have a four inch lift kit with different all different parts. All the control arms are Rough Country, the coil springs are from Teraflex, the shocks are OME and the trackbars are still stock. I know that I should probably upgrade to better trackbars but I'm not certain that would fix my issue would it?

Below are some pictures I took a few minutes ago. Sorry for all the mud; I haven't had time to clean it all up yet. However, you can see that the trackbar on the passenger side is rubbing/making contact with the spring. It doesn't seem to be an issue on the driver side though. I hope these pictures give you a better idea of the issue I'm having.

View attachment 2447 View attachment 2448 View attachment 2449 View attachment 2450 View attachment 2451

Maybe it's just the way the way the last picture was taken, but do your rear springs bow outward towards the rear of the jeep?

zeddjb

Maybe it's just the way the way the last picture was taken, but do your rear springs bow outward towards the rear of the jeep?

Yes they do; I was told that is how they are supposed to be. It's because the caster on the Jeep is pushed forward slightly and I can't remember why it was like that.

MTG

Caught the Bug
zeddjb said:
Yes they do; I was told that is how they are supposed to be. It's because the caster on the Jeep is pushed forward slightly and I can't remember why it was like that.

I noticed you posted about this back in December. What did you do then to address it?

I'm no expert but it seems to me that your springs bowing backwards are at least part of the problem, but maybe they are supposed to be like that as you say?

Do you have an aftermarket rear DS or rear adjustable upper control arms?

Did you look at your rear pinion angle as Robar suggested in the prior thread?

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug

I've got a 4.5" AEV lift and my springs are not like that. That is the first time that I have heard someone say that they are suppose to bow like that.

zeddjb

I've got a 4.5" AEV lift and my springs are not like that. That is the first time that I have heard someone say that they are suppose to bow like that.

it's just what I heard, I'm not saying it's right. The ride quality isn't suffering or anything though.

zeddjb

I noticed you posted about this back in December. What did you do then to address it?

I'm no expert but it seems to me that your springs bowing backwards are at least part of the problem, but maybe they are supposed to be like that as you say?

Do you have an aftermarket rear DS or rear adjustable upper control arms?

Did you look at your rear pinion angle as Robar suggested in the prior thread?

I did post something similar to this issue yes, but this issue is a bit different. The other issue is still there because I cannot afford to buy that bracket quite yet, however I don't believe that would solve the spring-trackbar rubbing issue because I'm only moving the driver side up and not out and the passenger side is what's rubbing.S

So all in all, it sounds like that trackbar is all sorts of issues. So I basically need a bracket for both driver and passenger side and all I can seem to find is the one Robar suggested for the driver.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes they do; I was told that is how they are supposed to be.

holy cow, maybe if you had a 2-door but being that you have a 4-door, that is WAY TOO MUCH bow. by the look of things, you have your lower control arms set way too long.

It's because the caster on the Jeep is pushed forward slightly and I can't remember why it was like that.

caster is a setting for the front of your jeep and not the rear. you problem is being caused by your control arms NOT being set correctly. address this and your problem should be fixed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

an aev kit does not come with adjustable upper control arms which is something you would need if you install an aftermarket drive shaft. the arms allow you to set your pinion angle and the rotation of your axle upward to do that is what causes the springs to bow. this is totally normal and, on a 2-door, it can be significant enough to look like the pics posted. while this can be corrected with adjustable lower spring perches, the amount of bowing you see on a 4-door should be minimal and not enough to cause coil rub like this UNLESS you were running certain aftermarket adjustable track bars. the thickness of the track bars, the shape of it or the placement of the jam nuts can all cause it to make contact with the coil but, being that the OP is still running a factory track bar, this should not be an issue.

zeddjb

Thanks for the info guys. :thumb: I need to find a decent shop around me that knows what they are talking about because if I take it back to the dealer (who told me it was find and that did the install), they will not believe me and charge me for not doing anything. :grayno: I wish I had the tools and knowledge to make that change myself. :sigh:

I had a feeling that the springs where not supposed to be that badly bowed but I went with it anyhow. :doh:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the info guys. :thumb: I need to find a decent shop around me that knows what they are talking about because if I take it back to the dealer (who told me it was find and that did the install), they will not believe me and charge me for not doing anything. :grayno: I wish I had the tools and knowledge to make that change myself. :sigh:

I had a feeling that the springs where not supposed to be that badly bowed but I went with it anyhow. :doh:

Take it back to the dealer and ask them if the trackbar is supposed to hit the springs. As WOL said, adjust your control arms or have them do it (I missed that you had aftermarket control arms above), and the problem should be fixed. Make sure your DS angle is correct as well...look at the diagram Robar posted previously. There is probably a write up on project-JK or JK-forum that would walk you through it. Hate to see you pay for something that should have been done right the first time. But then again, maybe it has been too long for them to do it for free. :dont_know:

Good luck!

zeddjb

Do you think I could adjust the control arms myself or is this something that would effect the balance of the Jeep and should be done by a professional?

It's been far to long for me to take it back to the dealer at this point; they would charge me.

Top Bottom