PDA

View Full Version : Learning to weld

silverbackjk
09-17-2013, 03:17 AM
So my wife has a friend who's husband is a welder and would be willing to give me some lessons. My question is what should I ask him to teach mig or tig?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Army_Vet
09-17-2013, 03:20 AM
So my wife has a friend who's husband is a welder and would be willing to give me some lessons. My question is what should I ask him to teach mig or tig?

You only get to pick one???? ohhhh thats tough. I would go for TIG, that is hard to master, once you figure it out, the others will be a breeze...

Definitely TIG!

jeek.olllllllo
09-17-2013, 03:20 AM
Subscribed would like to know. I want to learn as well

silverbackjk
09-17-2013, 03:22 AM
You only get to pick one???? ohhhh thats tough. I would go for TIG, that is hard to master, once you figure it out, the others will be a breeze...

Definitely TIG!

He will teach me what ever ones I want but I was thinking of focusing on one to start. Haha

SDG
09-17-2013, 03:24 AM
Learn mig first. Once you learn to control the puddle try moving on to stick, and when you can do both of those proficiently then give tig a shot.

If you try and start with tig, even with a pro looking over your shoulder you will more than likely get frustrated because its as much of an art as it is a skill. I learned to weld with stick, and after burning about 20lbs of rods was proficient enough to be able to pick up mig within 20 min with a friend watching and talking in my ear. Tig... well i can do it but its far from pretty. The other nice thing is that if you get into it, you can stick weld for far less $$ invested, and you can do it outside or in a breezie garage without worrying about the gas blowing away and messing up your welds.

Serg5000
09-17-2013, 03:25 AM
Are you considering buying a welder? Just knowing is pointless if you don't buy a welder. If you plan on buying. Look at what's in your price range. Tig welders can be up there in price. Mig and stick are much less expensive. I mig and stick weld. I own both welders. I can't afford a tig welder or I would learn it.

Army_Vet
09-17-2013, 03:29 AM
If you want my honest opinion, I think you should start with brazing, then gas welding then move on the the Arc Mig then TIG. You build upon skills and a working knowledge of how metals react under heat... Just my opinion, I thought it was just one to choose from. Either way, If you want a usable skill; MIG is the easiest to have success with.

If it were me; I would pick TIG, but if you are a true beginner, MIG will build skills faster...

Army_Vet
09-17-2013, 03:41 AM
Learn mig first. Once you learn to control the puddle try moving on to stick, and when you can do both of those proficiently then give tig a shot.

If you try and start with tig, even with a pro looking over your shoulder you will more than likely get frustrated because its as much of an art as it is a skill. I learned to weld with stick, and after burning about 20lbs of rods was proficient enough to be able to pick up mig within 20 min with a friend watching and talking in my ear. Tig... well i can do it but its far from pretty. The other nice thing is that if you get into it, you can stick weld for far less $$ invested, and you can do it outside or in a breezie garage without worrying about the gas blowing away and messing up your welds.

Great advice here^^^ Having a good teacher helps... I learned in my spare time on the job... I was onto my third teacher before I was even told about environmental considerations such as wind and such... And this guy was the first one to get me to "see" what I was doing with the puddle.

silverbackjk
09-17-2013, 03:42 AM

Great info

silverbackjk
09-17-2013, 03:42 AM
Are you considering buying a welder? Just knowing is pointless if you don't buy a welder. If you plan on buying. Look at what's in your price range. Tig welders can be up there in price. Mig and stick are much less expensive. I mig and stick weld. I own both welders. I can't afford a tig welder or I would learn it.

If I get the hang of it and can weld decent I will buy one.

Army_Vet
09-17-2013, 03:46 AM
If I get the hang of it and can weld decent I will buy one.

I bought a 110 flux core.... great for around the house... fixing minor things, neighbors lawn tractor and such.... anything serious I take to work and do

silverbackjk
09-17-2013, 03:56 AM
I bought a 110 flux core.... great for around the house... fixing minor things, neighbors lawn tractor and such.... anything serious I take to work and do

I was just looking at some online and they can get really expensive

SDG
09-17-2013, 05:39 AM
I was just looking at some online and they can get really expensive

Cheapest good welder you will find would be a used AC/DC miller or lincon "tombstone" stick (arc) welder. A quality used on can be had for $200-$300.

For a mig, you cant go wrong with a miller, or also a hobart. If you are wanting to weld 3/16 or thicker you are going to want a 220V machine if you have a 220 service in your house. The smaller 110 machines can do this but will take multiple passes and the duty cycle will catch up to you. Usually 110 gas wont put out enough heat unless you run flux core, which is basically the same as stick welding with a trigger. The nice think about flux core is that you can use the mig outside or in the rig in your driveway.

If you really want to do tig you can pick up a used miller dynasty for probably in the 1500 to 2k range. This welder can also do stick welding which is nice but the price is pretty steep.

JEEPnGEO
09-18-2013, 12:54 PM

Start with MIG
Then do a little ARC
Then go to TIG

I have been welding for a little while now and my methodology is this.

MIG = Teaches you to push the puddle, figure 8, effects of heat, power vs speed of wire vs thickness of the metal and the obvious making it look half way decent
ARC = Teaches you steady hand clean finish look and you get a feel for work vs time. Different rods burn at different speeds with different power. Rod is so long and your work has a certain size weld.
TIG = That tungsten electrode (cathode) is a little pricy to just jump in on. The type of filler metal etc. Power to put down on your project. GTAW is the upper end of welding Master MIG and ARC and you will do really well in TIG.

It is 90% setup and 10% welding anyway..

Millerj87
09-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Learning for working on your rig? If so I would say stick cuz it's cheap cost effective no gas needed if your gonna build parts like bumpers etc I'd say mig just for speed

Sent from my iPhone on the west coast of florida

silverbackjk
09-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Learning for working on your rig? If so I would say stick cuz it's cheap cost effective no gas needed if your gonna build parts like bumpers etc I'd say mig just for speed

Sent from my iPhone on the west coast of florida

It will be 80% working on rig and playing with making some things at home.

JEEPnGEO
09-19-2013, 02:08 AM
I made some custom lamps and some parts for my parents bird houses by brazing. If you look this up and like it you will need to find a company that sells you gasses cheap. Bottle deposits cost $$$. If someone will give you a bottle that would be a awesome bonus. Down here they don't care where you get the bottle as long as you turn one in when you pick up the full one.

When I MIG weld I use C25 gas. Cheaper than Argon and works very well.

miguel250r
09-19-2013, 02:30 AM

I built this trailer in high school welding class but my 4th year of taking it when I was a senior
Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

silverbackjk
09-19-2013, 02:41 AM

I built this trailer in high school welding class but my 4th year of taking it when I was a senior

nice:thumb:

cap
09-19-2013, 03:04 AM
[QUOTE=silverbackjk;177057]Great info/QUOTE]

you ain't kidding! What a great resource!

Canvas JK
09-19-2013, 03:09 AM

Those are some funny looking jeeps.

Beyrgut
09-19-2013, 03:18 AM
Those are some funny looking jeeps.

Looks like a Chevy or Dodge hauling deports, about right, need to verify hauler.

miguel250r
09-19-2013, 03:24 AM
Looks like a Chevy or Dodge hauling deports, about right, need to verify hauler.

Chevy pulling 2 Suzuki samurais

familytime2
09-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Start with arc,once you understand where the puddle is,then mig,it's hard to see the puddle in mig.Tig is good to learn too,try some oxy/acetylene time in to,great for heating things up.I'd say if like it enough take same classes

Skirmish
09-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Unless you are going for pretty or delicate you really don't need to buy a TIG. A MIG is really a great all around weld if you are planning to do all around general stuff. With a spooler you can do aluminum (which is a bitch with TIG and hats off to anyone that can do it) and unless I'm dealing with a project I need to look seamless I usually MIG.

As far as learning with a pro, I wouldn't waste my time with stick or deal with the frustration of jumping to TIG. Any monkey can stick weld. Turn it up till it melts and don't let it touch the seam. TIG is like learning to play drums. You run the bead with one hand, feed the material with the other and control the arc with your pedal and that's the easy part. The real science is setting up the machine and the material.

TIG is art, MIG is science and stick is flinging crap at the wall. I could build a Jeep with a MIG but with a TIG I wouldn't have to do as much grinding.

Rob
09-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Stick can be nice if your doing repairs on stuff. Sometimes the head on the mig is to big to get into places that you can get a stick. Also you can actually bend the stick and weld around corners if necessary. With a couple 12v batterys and a couple pairs of jumper cables you have a stick trail welder.

That being said If I were going to get lessons Id learn MIG. Way less clean up if your using gas. Eventually I want to get a ready welder for the trail. Ive seen them used and they are nice.

silverbackjk
09-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Start with arc,once you understand where the puddle is,then mig,it's hard to see the puddle in mig.Tig is good to learn too,try some oxy/acetylene time in to,great for heating things up.I'd say if like it enough take same classes

So i talked to the guy who said he would teach me he said he wants to start with arc them move to mig after i feel comfortable. He said the same thing about puddling.:yup:

Rollincoal420
09-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Just remember, you watch the puddle, not the arc. Biggest mistake from inexperienced welders. The puddle will tell u 90% off what u gotta do and have done.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

SDG
09-19-2013, 08:23 PM
TIG is art, MIG is science and stick is flinging crap at the wall. I could build a Jeep with a MIG but with a TIG I wouldn't have to do as much grinding.

I have to disagree here. Mig is a science? Ok so you set the wire feed speed and the power and you pull the trigger(mmm sounds like bacon)... its the exact same thing as stick except you don't have to control the distance you keep the electrode from the material. Where is the science? Deciding whether to push or pull? I would venture to say anyone who can stick weld well (or throw shit at the wall as you put it) can mig but the opposite is not necessarily true. Especially in the more challenging positions.

Rollincoal420
09-19-2013, 08:50 PM
I have to disagree here. Mig is a science? Ok so you set the wire feed speed and the power and you pull the trigger(mmm sounds like bacon)... its the exact same thing as stick except you don't have to control the distance you keep the electrode from the material. Where is the science? Deciding whether to push or pull? I would venture to say anyone who can stick weld well (or throw shit at the wall as you put it) can mig but the opposite is not necessarily true. Especially in the more challenging positions.

I concur. I do this day in, day out. Stick and TIG. I promise you, anyone that thinks just cause they can operate a squirt gun (mig) means they can stick weld, they will learn why it's called "stick" welding. Lol

Learn how to stick weld. Learn how ti TIG weld and burn rods. When you think you got it, burn more rods. The only way to get a good is to practice. Once you learn the fundamentals, the rest is a cake walk.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Ldogg
09-19-2013, 09:48 PM
I watched a couple YouTube videos that I found pretty informative. I haven't picked up any equipment but I was interested in the process at least. This guy isn't great, but he seems to have good info.

http://youtu.be/bxpUeeKMXUo

Then I watched this guy. He seemed to have a pretty good handle on it too.

http://youtu.be/w4RrDeUKcH4

jesse3638
09-19-2013, 11:02 PM
I too am learning. I'm going with MIG because a forum member happened to upgrade from his lincon 110 to a Miller 220 auto feed. I asked about it and he just offered it to me. So why turn down a free welder..haha. I told him I'd just keep it on "loan" and if he wants it back he knows where it is. I've watched a few YouTube videos and I'm gonna go give it a shot. Everyone I've talked to says learn to set up ur machine and practice practice practice.

Army_Vet
09-20-2013, 09:04 AM
When you have practiced and think you know what your doing, give aluminium a shot and then you will realise how much you really don't know....

Ask me how I know:thinking:

familytime2
09-20-2013, 01:41 PM
When you have practiced and think you know what your doing, give aluminium a shot and then you will realise how much you really don't know....

Ask me how I know:thinking:Now you're talking,one challenge we did in school was weld beer cans together or maybe run some beads on the sides:brows:

jkrossi
09-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Here is a challenge for all the welders out there. Weld the two edges of a razor blade together.

Army_Vet
09-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Here is a challenge for all the welders out there. Weld the two edges of a razor blade together.

How pretty does it need to be?:bleh:

silverbackjk
09-20-2013, 09:29 PM
I watched a couple YouTube videos that I found pretty informative. I haven't picked up any equipment but I was interested in the process at least. This guy isn't great, but he seems to have good info.

http://youtu.be/bxpUeeKMXUo

Then I watched this guy. He seemed to have a pretty good handle on it too.

http://youtu.be/w4RrDeUKcH4

Great videos

jkrossi
09-20-2013, 09:40 PM
How pretty does it need to be?:bleh:

As pretty as you can get it. I personal blow holes right threw it. My friends are pretty good at it and they challenge each other all the time.

BBrown626
09-20-2013, 09:51 PM
This is a good video for the basics. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mcTl0VrvWQ&noredirect=1)

I do all the welding on my Jeep. Not real pretty, but it all works. I have added LCA skids, C gussets, Evo sliders, rear track bar mount & front axle sleeves. My dad taught me to weld stick when I was in high school. When I bought the Jeep I bought a Harbor Freight 220 GMAW machine. I wish I had bought a Miller, but it works.

jkrossi
09-20-2013, 10:11 PM
This is a good video for the basics. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mcTl0VrvWQ&noredirect=1)

I do all the welding on my Jeep. Not real pretty, but it all works. I have added LCA skids, C gussets, Evo sliders, rear track bar mount & front axle sleeves. My dad taught me to weld stick when I was in high school. When I bought the Jeep I bought a Harbor Freight 220 GMAW machine. I wish I had bought a Miller, but it works.

You can always save up for one. We have a miller and a lincoln the are great machines.

SDG
09-21-2013, 12:16 AM
Now you're talking,one challenge we did in school was weld beer cans together or maybe run some beads on the sides:brows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF1Srs_e1Aw

AllAmericanInfidel
09-28-2013, 06:43 PM
^^ WTF? Thats some skill right there!

silverbackjk
09-28-2013, 06:46 PM

Crazy:thumb:

jmm176
09-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Just fyi any stick welding machine can be converted to do tig inexpensively. Just need to buy tig torch kit, tank and regulator. I believe to tig aluminum a tig machine with high frequency is needed. I've watched pipe fitters use the first method (scratch start) to make xray quality welds for years in refineries and nuclear power plants.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Army_Vet
09-29-2013, 12:23 AM
As pretty as you can get it. I personal blow holes right threw it. My friends are pretty good at it and they challenge each other all the time.

Im going to give it a shot tomorrow. See what I can do.

Army_Vet
09-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Not much of a surprise to me but I kept blowing holes.... I even tried to clamp it to a big piece of alum to try and control the heat.
My Hobart Handler 125 EZ will not let me drop the heat any lower than the lowest setting.

Oh well I gave it a shot, at least now I know that if I need to weld two razors together to save my life, I will be assed out:grayno:

Army_Vet
10-05-2013, 12:49 PM
How is the welding lessons going? Any updates?

jesse3638
10-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Here is my first time welding ever after about 60 mins of YouTube vids. The vids by weldingtipsandtricks.com I found most helpful as its filmed through the hood so u can see the arc, puddle, and different techniques. I also messed around with the settings and figured out what works best.

silverbackjk
10-11-2013, 10:48 PM
How is the welding lessons going? Any updates?

It's going good just very hard to get a hang of

Veetz
10-11-2013, 10:50 PM

Wow that's some skills ....

Participate in life

ridg3runner
10-12-2013, 03:24 AM
Here is my first time welding ever after about 60 mins of YouTube vids. The vids by weldingtipsandtricks.com I found most helpful as its filmed through the hood so u can see the arc, puddle, and different techniques. I also messed around with the settings and figured out what works best.

Looks way better than mine. Mine still looks like a seagull crapped all over the place,lol

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

SDG
10-12-2013, 06:21 AM
Dont get discouraged, when I started out I was struggling to make welds like this...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-PPIxfU9XD1s/S6RKsdJWgqI/AAAAAAAACuM/cmEoLBMZ_3U/w1224-h793-no/joint1.jpg

kept practicing and I was able to do this

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4tXi0OT2xsc/S7Y2vjtKg-I/AAAAAAAACvc/NbfNORZlAgM/w1184-h793-no/DSC_3017.jpg

By the end of my last project i was stick welding 12ga steel pretty well

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QwsGKhPIFEc/TUIigCER-1I/AAAAAAAADaE/fXb0-gBZBK0/w1057-h793-no/IMAG0247.jpg

and i ended up with this!
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-9jJqZTfDk5U/TVsZz90ukFI/AAAAAAAADdk/bAt8frNFAKg/w530-h792-no/DSC_4124-2.jpg

silverbackjk
10-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Nice smoker

jesse3638
10-12-2013, 06:19 PM
That thing looks pretty awesome. I need to bring my welder to work, with the government shut down there is a lot of time to practice...haha

jesse3638
11-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Finally brought the welder to work because we had a couple projects to do. While I was at it I practiced laying some beads and came up with this idea for a candy dish...haha.

OsiViper
11-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Cool Candy dish. Looks Heavy though lol.

I'm in the same boat needing to learn but don't know anyone locally to teach me. Told my sister it would be cool to learn how to weld so she bought me a Hobart Handler 190 for my birthday next week.. I feel bad now cause its such an expensive gift and I've tried laying beads with a friends MIG and holy crap were they sloppy. Guess I need practice...

jesse3638
11-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Cool Candy dish. Looks Heavy though lol.

I'm in the same boat needing to learn but don't know anyone locally to teach me. Told my sister it would be cool to learn how to weld so she bought me a Hobart Handler 190 for my birthday next week.. I feel bad now cause its such an expensive gift and I've tried laying beads with a friends MIG and holy crap were they sloppy. Guess I need practice...

Yeah my friend gave me a box of a bunch of 3/16" triangles, I'm assuming they were intended to be gussets of some sort. The dish weighs prob 3-4 pounds, go to make sure it doesn't tip over. I taught myself and that is actually only my second time actually laying any substantial beads. I watched several YouTube videos. The ones posted by weldingtipsandtricks.com I found to be the most useful because its filmed from behind the hood so you can see the puddle. It really helped me understand the different techniques and what the instructor was talking about. There was another one posted on how to properly set up a MIG welder which also helped immensely. Overall I watched maybe an hour and a half of videos...haha.

sanman357
11-21-2013, 02:38 PM
http://weldingweb.com/ is a good forum for learning how to weld. Take pics of what your having issues with post up, and a lot of knowledgeable people there to help. And as posted before, http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ has a site and a YouTube channel with some of the best instructional videos around.

SDG
11-21-2013, 03:20 PM
http://weldingweb.com/ is a good forum for learning how to weld. Take pics of what your having issues with post up, and a lot of knowledgeable people there to help. And as posted before, http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ has a site and a YouTube channel with some of the best instructional videos around.

Welding web is a great forum. I used to post and visit there quite a lot. Met a couple very cool people there that helped me do a few projects that I just was not capable of doing. There are some guys over there that weld some serious shit. I remember on guy designing and tiging a twin turbo system for his fx45 from scratch.

OsiViper
11-22-2013, 02:10 AM
I need to find a place that has cheap 3/16 metal to practice welding with.. Since I'm gonna be welding the C's and Skids on my Jeep since a local place wants $500 in labor to do it.