Another Death Wobble Question

Devallee

So I'm scheduled to take the jeep in Thursday for the death wobble because I can't seem to figure it out. However I was curious and decided to try to check for anything unusual and noticed that when turning my wheel back and forth, my track bar flexes or bends about a half inch worth. Is it supposed to be moving like that? I figured with the way it's positioned it should only be moving when the axle moves up and down but I don't see why it would be bending with wheel movement but maybe I'm wrong? I know that one of the most common reasons death wobble occurs is a loose or physically bending track bar so Im hoping this is it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I'm scheduled to take the jeep in Thursday for the death wobble because I can't seem to figure it out. However I was curious and decided to try to check for anything unusual and noticed that when turning my wheel back and forth, my track bar flexes or bends about a half inch worth. Is it supposed to be moving like that? I figured with the way it's positioned it should only be moving when the axle moves up and down but I don't see why it would be bending with wheel movement but maybe I'm wrong? I know that one of the most common reasons death wobble occurs is a loose or physically bending track bar so Im hoping this is it.

There should be no bending or flexing of your track bar. If it really is, that could very well be your problem. Do you perhaps have a gen 1 JKS track bar?

Devallee

There should be no bending or flexing of your track bar. If it really is, that could very well be your problem. Do you perhaps have a gen 1 JKS track bar?

No it's a rubicon express track bar that came with my 3.5" short arm lift that I put on there about 3 years ago. There is definitely flexing of the bar when the wheel moves side to side but I'm going to swing my local offroad shop tomorrow morning and make sure I'm seeing exactly what I'm trying to explain on here. It seems like its flexing at the bend of the bar. I figured if its not the cause, I could at least check one more thing off of the list because you're saying its not supposed to be doing that and it's definitely flexing so it needs replacing either way. What brand would you recommend?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No it's a rubicon express track bar that came with my 3.5" short arm lift that I put on there about 3 years ago. There is definitely flexing of the bar when the wheel moves side to side but I'm going to swing my local offroad shop tomorrow morning and make sure I'm seeing exactly what I'm trying to explain on here. It seems like its flexing at the bend of the bar. I figured if its not the cause, I could at least check one more thing off of the list because you're saying its not supposed to be doing that and it's definitely flexing so it needs replacing either way. What brand would you recommend?

If you have the old RE track bar with the single bend in it, I have seen them have issues like this and you should replace it. If it were me, I would install an EVO drag link flip/track bar relocation bracket and run a 2012-up factory track bar. It's what I run now and this after running a whole host of aftermarket track bars. Otherwise, I might recommend the current version of the JKS track bar.

JK's JK

Banned

Damn wish I was home. I have that exact track bar from RE as well. I cannot remember if mine moves are not.

Hey Eddie:

I was just reading the info on the flip kit. Is the factory bracket prone to break?

Devallee

If you have the old RE track bar with the single bend in it, I have seen them have issues like this and you should replace it. If it were me, I would install an EVO drag link flip/track bar relocation bracket and run a 2012-up factory track bar. It's what I run now and this after running a whole host of aftermarket track bars. Otherwise, I might recommend the current version of the JKS track bar.

Gonna see if I can find a factory track bar and get this done. What's the install like on the drag link flip kit? Could it be done at home or is it something I should have installed?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Damn wish I was home. I have that exact track bar from RE as well. I cannot remember if mine moves are not.

there should be NO movement

I was just reading the info on the flip kit. Is the factory bracket prone to break?

If you install an un-reinforced track bar relocation bracket at the axle mount like the kind Skyjacker and Fabtech make, they will act as a lever and cause it to break. The EVO relocation bracket is reinforced and, if you weld it on like you should, it WILL not break anything.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Gonna see if I can find a factory track bar and get this done. What's the install like on the drag link flip kit? Could it be done at home or is it something I should have installed?

You can totally do it at home but, I would highly recommend that you eventually get the mount welded on. If you don't, you will NEED to check the bolts on it as a part of routine maintenance just like everything else on your Jeep.

Sharkey

Word Ninja

It's easy. I've done a couple of them. You just need a drill, the correct bit, sockets and some open end wrenches. Like Eddie said though you should get the track bar bracket welded after you get everything set up.

Devallee

You can totally do it at home but, I would highly recommend that you eventually get the mount welded on. If you don't, you will NEED to check the bolts on it as a part of routine maintenance just like everything else on your Jeep.

Perfect thanks for the help! I'll try to get this done this week and post results. Hopefully this is my problem. I'm about to roll the jeep down a cliff because of the frustration of not figuring this damn thing out haha

Raceplayhavefun

If you have noticeable flex in the track bar, that is a HUGE problem. I've tested with several different track bars, using my GoPro on the road and off road, and so far the only trackbar that I have found that DOESN'T flex at least a little is the Teraflex forged trackbar. The stock trackbars flex a fair amount. Some of the aftermarket units appear to be better, some have actually appeared worse to me.

Devallee

If I went this route, would I need a factory track bar 2010-down for my 09 jk or will a newer model year track bar work?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you have noticeable flex in the track bar, that is a HUGE problem. I've tested with several different track bars, using my GoPro on the road and off road, and so far the only trackbar that I have found that DOESN'T flex at least a little is the Teraflex forged trackbar. The stock trackbars flex a fair amount. Some of the aftermarket units appear to be better, some have actually appeared worse to me.

I don't know if I would agree with this at all. I run a factory track bar and prefer it as I have seen it to be strong and do the job well. If anything, I have seen a fair number of TeraFlex track bars break in half.

If I went this route, would I need a factory track bar 2010-down for my 09 jk or will a newer model year track bar work?

The newer ones have a nice joint at the frame mount and so far, I have found it to work pretty well. However, as Mel stated earlier today, the older ones have bonded rubber bushings on both ends and have proven themselves to last a long time. After talking to him at length about it, I would recommend that you get an older track bar if possible but, not to loose too much sleep if you can only get a newer one.

Devallee

I don't know if I would agree with this at all. I run a factory track bar and prefer it as I have seen it to be strong and do the job well. If anything, I have seen a fair number of TeraFlex track bars break in half.

The newer ones have a nice joint at the frame mount and so far, I have found it to work pretty well. However, as Mel stated earlier today, the older ones have bonded rubber bushings on both ends and have proven themselves to last a long time. After talking to him at length about it, I would recommend that you get an older track bar if possible but, not to loose too much sleep if you can only get a newer one.

Ok thank you for the clarification. I'm still waiting to try to find the 13/16" bit (if you have one or know someone in So Cal that would let me borrow it I would appreciate it haha) so I guess I still have time to look for the track bar. And again it was great to finally meet you in person today! Hopefully one day when my rig is capable I can get out on the trails with you guys :beer:

Tackerdown

Banned

I just found that my sons axle mount side of his track bar is going bad and causing DW . its a RC tb that came with his 4" lift. Are you saying that he could put his factory tb back on ?

Sent from my SPH-L720

Army_Vet

Banned
I just found that my sons axle mount side of his track bar is going bad and causing DW . its a RC tb that came with his 4" lift. Are you saying that he could put his factory tb back on ?

Sent from my SPH-L720
Will the factory TC fit with a 4" lift???

Devallee

Sent from my SPH-L720

It won't fit in the stock location. The drag link flip kit has a track bar relocation bracket that raises the mounting point and allows the stock TB to fit. But it will not fit in the stock location with a 4" lift
Edit: nor will it fit with a 3" or 3.5" I believe. But hopefully someone will confirm that. Definitely not a 4" lift tho

Tackerdown

Banned
It won't fit in the stock location. The drag link flip kit has a track bar relocation bracket that raises the mounting point and allows the stock TB to fit. But it will not fit in the stock location with a 4" lift
Edit: nor will it fit with a 3" or 3.5" I believe. But hopefully someone will confirm that. Definitely not a 4" lift tho

Bummer ok thanks. I thought that might have something to do with it.

Sent from my SPH-L720

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To be clear, you can make a factory track bar fit even on a Jeep with 4" of lift BUT, your axle will be off center by quite a bit. A drag link flip/track bar relocation bracket is highly recommend though if you have a 4" lift as it will help to correct your steering geometry and improve your handling.

Top Bottom