Need some brake advice

Singhisen

Hey everyone,
Initially, I want to say "Hello" to everyone. I'm new to the forum and to Jeeping as a whole. Earlier this year I purchased a '04 Rubicon and am loving it. I know there was some basic stuff I was going to need to update/upgrade (part of the reason I bought one a little older) and am doing tons of research to learn as I go. I'm aircraft maintenance by trade so I do the majority of my own work; however, my current issue is the access to information as I am overseas in Germany. This makes it very difficult to speak to an expert face to face about things so I'm limited to the internet. This is where you guys come in as this site came very highly recommended for expert speak.

My issue is this: My front passenger brake is sticking. I understand this can be a collapsed brake line or a caliper piston sticking. Either way, I'm not concerned as I want to upgrade both. I'm planning on ordering some Crown steel braided brake lines, but I keep getting conflicting info on brands for calipers, rotors and pads. Being that I'm in Germany and I'm not going to be doing much rock crawling over here (mostly mud), what are some of the collective opinions as to brands and models (i.e. drill or slotted rotors or ceramic pads). Please throw in your opinion as to the pros and cons of any information you would like to share. I'm all ears!!

Thank you for your time and knowledge,
Sing

David1tontj

Welcome to wayalife! I'll start by saying I would think its the caliper, probably not the brake line, and it could actually just be the "slide pins" needing to be greased. As far as cross drilled rotors go, I have used them on my old dodge pickup an loved them, but it was prone to hot brakes because I was my tow rig. I'm not convinced that you "need" drilled rotors to stop a 3500 pound jeep. I'm no expert, but that's my two cents, for what it's worth. Good luck!

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Army_Vet

Banned
Really... Nothing?

Sorry... brakes are not talked about much here. User, Majik has a wealth of knowledge about the JK braking system, PM him and maybe he can shed some light... Sorry you didn't get what you were expecting right away; but hang in there we grow on ya!

Welcome to the forum and wayalife btw!

Singhisen

Thanks for the responses. Not getting any replays for a while confirms my research that the off road world doesn't drive the brake industry at all. If any one comes across anything, I am all ears!

Top Bottom