Breaking wheel licks without a key

crowrb29

Is there any way. I promise I'm not trying to steal wheels. My buddy is deployed and his wife got a flat on their wrangler. Stock 17s with the mopar wheel locks. It's. 2011. The old lock was sheared in half. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Army_Vet

Banned
Is there any way. I promise I'm not trying to steal wheels. My buddy is deployed and his wife got a flat on their wrangler. Stock 17s with the mopar wheel locks. It's. 2011. The old lock was sheared in half. Any suggestions would be wonderful.
Go to the dealer and get a replacement???

JK12

They have a thing that's kinda like a socket that has threads in it that can take them off. They usually have them at any auto parts store. I don't remember what they are called

crowrb29

The dudes at the dealership didn't have any. It sucks because its her only car and she needs to drive it tonight. Some family thing.... Not really my business

Army_Vet

Banned
The dudes at the dealership didn't have any. It sucks because its her only car and she needs to drive it tonight. Some family thing.... Not really my business

The only other Ideas I have are easy outs, and if you don't have them then thats not much help either. You can try local auto parts stores for a emergency stripped lug remover...

David1tontj

In the past I have hammered a tight fitting socket on over the top of the lug nut. It worked for me, only problem Is trying to get it out of the socket when you're done. Also I've heard aboutp freezing it with liquid nitrogen and breaking it off with a hammer. Good luck!

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Probably should have PM'ed responses but at least not everyone can read the response and have an easier time stealing wheels.

David1tontj

They might not know how to break a lock off of one. But they do now. :thumb:

Do you really think this forum Is full of criminals? I do want some slabs, but I haven't gotten that desperate yet! And I am very sorry for being the first and only person on the entire Internet to slip that little secret out there! Oops

crowrb29

Well thanks for the advice guys. I guess she didn't want me breaking the lug so the point is moot now. Not sure why. I was gonna give her a new lug so she wouldn't have to deal with it, plus she already has two other wheels that had the same issue at different times. Surprised it didn't get addressed a long time ago.

JeepJKpwr

Do you really think this forum Is full of criminals? I do want some slabs, but I haven't gotten that desperate yet! And I am very sorry for being the first and only person on the entire Internet to slip that little secret out there! Oops

LMAO!

sent from carrier pigeon

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Well thanks for the advice guys. I guess she didn't want me breaking the lug so the point is moot now. Not sure why. I was gonna give her a new lug so she wouldn't have to deal with it, plus she already has two other wheels that had the same issue at different times. Surprised it didn't get addressed a long time ago.

You don't need to break anything. Just hammer a socket over the wheel lock. It's easy and free

crowrb29

Doesn't want me to do that either. She is afraid her husband will get mad at her. Guess if they don't have luck at the dealership ( which I doubt they will, cuz they suck out here) then ill resort to all the methods above.

Will a socket work though. I tried turning it with some other stuff and the actual outside piece of the locking nut just spun around the rest of the nut. I figured it would do the same thing with a socket.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Doesn't want me to do that either. She is afraid her husband will get mad at her. Guess if they don't have luck at the dealership ( which I doubt they will, cuz they suck out here) then ill resort to all the methods above.

Will a socket work though. I tried turning it with some other stuff and the actual outside piece of the locking nut just spun around the rest of the nut. I figured it would do the same thing with a socket.

I used this method on my 1990 jeep Comanche (198,000 miles) lugs. Worked very easy once I found a socket that fit tight. It's a hell of a lot better than breaking a stud off with no repair bill either!

At a shop where I got my tires mounted took my locking lugs off because I lost my key they uses a socket. They just hammered it on there good and took it off. I did the same for my spare so they wouldn't steal it for a while until I bought new lugs which I lost one a week later!
Tell her to take them to a tire shop or you do it. And she will only spend like 20 bucks for new ones her husband won't know

crowrb29

I used this method on my 1990 jeep Comanche (198,000 miles) lugs. Worked very easy once I found a socket that fit tight. It's a hell of a lot better than breaking a stud off with no repair bill either!

Thanks Chris. I'm definitely gonna do that if she decides she doesn't want to spend the money. Woman make strange decisions sometimes.

Top Bottom