Looking at the teraflex budget boost, have ?

Emptybrass

Seems to be pretty straight forward not complicated but will I need an adjustable track bar to recenter my front axle?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Seems to be pretty straight forward not complicated but will I need an adjustable track bar to recenter my front axle?

Need? No. There is no need for it but your axle will be a bit off center at ride height without one. No big deal.

Emptybrass

by chance do you know approximately how much it will be off?
My first jeep and just want to make sure I'm covering myself.

any other tip or suggestions when doing this?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
by chance do you know approximately how much it will be off?
My first jeep and just want to make sure I'm covering myself.

any other tip or suggestions when doing this?

About 1/4"-1/2". Not enough to matter. Fact of the matter is, your axle will always be a bit off center depending on how many people you have on board, how much gas you have in your tank and how much you have it loaded up.

13WhiteRubi

I know some people are going to hate me for saying this but for a decent budget boost look at Rough Country's 3.5" for $499. It comes with spring, shocks, lower control arms (not the best), and all the brackets you need. The week link of this kit would be the lower control arms. But it's a true budget lift.
I put it on in Jan. and no complaints so far and will be running it as I put together for the EVO DTD.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know some people are going to hate me for saying this but for a decent budget boost look at Rough Country's 3.5" for $499. It comes with spring, shocks, lower control arms (not the best), and all the brackets you need. The week link of this kit would be the lower control arms. But it's a true budget lift.
I put it on in Jan. and no complaints so far and will be running it as I put together for the EVO DTD.

Budget boosts are budget boost and for the most part, they are all the same thing. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

JKWrang

Doing a LOT of research on BBs.

Every company says THEIRS is superior and has more quality this and value for that.

But the prices are the same-ish and parts are the same-ish from what I see. Guess it just depends on who you want to give your money to.

I'm teeter tottering between AEV and Teraflex

Sent from my phone while I should probably be getting work done

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said, budget boosts are budget boosts regardless of what their spacers are made of. The only real difference between one kit to the next is in what they come with. Some are more complete than others but that's about it. In a nutshell, all you need are coil spacers front and rear, shock extensions or shocks made for the amount of lift you will have, rear brake line extensions, rear track bar relocation bracket and new rear longer sway bar links. That's it. An adjustable front track bar is nice to have but not necessary.

JKWrang

AEV recommends shock extensions if I recall. Says stock shocks perform very well compared to most BB shocks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
AEV recommends shock extensions if I recall. Says stock shocks perform very well compared to most BB shocks.

There is some truth to this. Basic shocks that are typically included with BB's are just old school hydro shocks. Rubicon shocks are monotubes and are much better than them. Sport and Sahara shocks are better too but, just barely.

groovebus

I just installed the Terafelx 2" leveling kit which is a BB if you look at it right. Easy install and gave it the profile I was looking for and the added clearance without giving it a really high center of gravity. It was easy to install, spacers and longer sway bar links for the front took about 3 hours with just a floor jack and 2 jack stands. Only thing I had to do extra is re-torque the control arms and track bar. It didn't alter the handling at all; well the steering is a little bit more loose. I'm putting new mud terrains on this weekend so I will have the shop tighten that up. But lifts are a loaded question here; as are most mods. Ask 10 people, get 10 different opinions. LOL

Last edited:

Emptybrass

Well I decided to do the leveling kit as I save for the lift and tires I want long term. I went teraflex and I'm happy with the look but the install instructions sucked. It didn't take much about an hour time but they need to add a few steps to make it easier for people who are not that mechanically inclined.

Petzl88

Project JK

Yes, the Teraflex instructions were absolutely horrible. I used Eddie's write-up for the Teraflex Budget Boost on Project JK and had no problems whatsoever. They are the best instructions on the web, period!

I had never even changed the oil on a vehicle and couldn't have told you the difference between a torque wrench and a bumpstop, but Project JK gave me the knowledge and the confidence to perform the install myself. For that, I am thankful. Thanks Eddie!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the Teraflex instructions were absolutely horrible. I used Eddie's write-up for the Teraflex Budget Boost on Project JK and had no problems whatsoever. They are the best instructions on the web, period!

I had never even changed the oil on a vehicle and couldn't have told you the difference between a torque wrench and a bumpstop, but Project JK gave me the knowledge and the confidence to perform the install myself. For that, I am thankful. Thanks Eddie!!!

:blush: thanks, I'm so glad to hear my write-ups have been helpful to you :yup:

catahoula

Caught the Bug

X's 2 on that! Did the same thing and torqued to specs. No problems.:thumb:

Top Bottom