Air bag light on???

xtremefx4

OK when I got don't with the run yesterday the airbag light came on. Does anyone know what would make it do this? It goes off sometimes then comes back on and it make a tone? Any help would be appreciated..
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

GCM 2

What they said...

Probably a bad clock spring. I just changed mine on Saturday, once you have the part, it only takes about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hrs to from start to finish.

Rebel JK

Gcm2- ive had my lights on intermittently since i changed out my steering gearbox last spring. I know i should have seat belted my steering wheel!
Im pretty sure its my clockspring as well. Is there a good writeup available for the careful diy'er on this? My haynes/ chilton doesnt help. Thanks

JKWrang

There was a recall issued on my 08RHD for clocksprings. Might wanna look into it

Sent from my phone while I should probably be getting work done

xtremefx4

Thanks to you all for the info. looks like I'll be doing this this Wednesday when I get home from work.

GCM 2

......Is there a good writeup available for the careful diy'er on this? My haynes/ chilton doesnt help. Thanks

You know there is a write up circulating the Internet, it's on more than one forum. It's actually a decent write up, the wording/explanation could use some work, but the photos are really good. I actually only need to search for help removing the horn/air bag combo (it is all one piece and comes out together as one unit), other than, it is all very simple removal of plastic being held together by a handful of T-20 torx screws, a couple of phillips head screws and one 13mm steering wheel bolt. Thats it, I probably could do a complete replacement now in 30-45 minutes its so easy.

Edit: I did get a few lights that popped back up in my display, but no Air Bag light this time, so my clock spring fix worked. Now I am throwing wheel speed sensor codes, my front left is out of parameter so the gap between the sensor and the tone ring needs to be adjusted. Easy fix when you are running ProRock 60's, the wheel speed sensor can be changed or adjusted without removing the tire/wheel ;)

Last edited:

Rebel JK

You know there is a write up circulating the Internet, it's on more than one forum. It's actually a decent write up, the wording/explanation could use some work, but the photos are really good. I actually only need to search for help removing the horn/air bag combo (it is all one piece and comes out together as one unit), other than, it is all very simple removal of plastic being held together by a handful of T-20 torx screws, a couple of phillips head screws and one 13mm steering wheel bolt. Thats it, I probably could do a complete replacement now in 30-45 minutes its so easy.

Edit: I did get a few lights that popped back up in my display, but no ABS light this time, so my clock spring fix worked. Now I am throwing wheel speed sensor codes, my front left is out of parameter so the gap between the sensor and the tone ring needs to be adjusted. Easy fix when you are running ProRock 60's, the wheel speed sensor can be changed or adjusted without removing the tire/wheel ;)

Cool thanks I will look it up. Could the clockspring also cause the traction control light come on or is that likely a sensor? If I press the button on the lower dash not once but twice the swerving grand cherokee lite goes off but not the esp light. :crazyeyes:

Attachments

• 20130922_182508 - Copy.jpg
    20130922_182508 - Copy.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 41

GCM 2

Cool thanks I will look it up. Could the clockspring also cause the traction control light come on or is that likely a sensor? If I press the button on the lower dash not once but twice the swerving grand cherokee lite goes off but not the esp light. :crazyeyes:

It really helps if you have a tool to scan DTC codes, something like a Superchips Flashpaq tuner will be able to read what codes you are throwing and help identify what the lights on the dash are tied to. Without an Airbag light showing, it migh not be a Clock Spring. The lights that you currently have showing in the picture probably means that one of your wheel speed sensors are bad, or it could mean you need to have your steering wheel recentered....or possibly both. The only way to know for sure is to get the DTC codes scanned. If you don't have a tuner/reader, you might just visit the dealer and have them do it.

xtremefx4

The light that is on has an airbag w seatbelt. Its a 2011 and don't know if they changed the light icons.

Attachments

• 1379969406932.jpg
    1379969406932.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom