what do you think I should do next

ncbmx64

I am looking at doing some more mods but not 100% sure on what to upgrade next on my 2012 JKU Sahara. I currently have a 2.5 RK max travel with 295/70/18 nitto trail grapplers, front bumper and winch going on as soon as it shows up, ordering some rock sliders and skid plates, have some windsheild mounted lights not sure what to do next thinking I should upgrade to a dana 44 front axle with lockers or maybe upgrading my suspension to coilovers. I am here on the east coast so most of the wheeling is forest trails but would like to build my rig up to a be a well rounded rig that can handle well everywhere. What are some ideas on what to save my money for and what to spend it on.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
sounds like you're well on your way to making a nice capable rig. i think your future upgrade plans are great and if i could put priority on one versus the other, i would go with the front axle and lockers before coil overs.

ncbmx64

sounds like you're well on your way to making a nice capable rig. i think your future upgrade plans are great and if i could put priority on one versus the other, i would go with the front axle and lockers before coil overs.

I was thinking axle would be better as well, would you say that the axle and lockers would be the next best mod or would recommend something different with your experiance?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking axle would be better as well, would you say that the axle and lockers would be the next best mod or would recommend something different with your experiance?

being that you've already got so much covered and, if you need your jeep to "handle everywhere", yes, an axle upgrade and lockers is what i would go with.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
being that you've already got so much covered and, if you need your jeep to "handle everywhere", yes, an axle upgrade and lockers is what i would go with.

I'd agree, always look at what is going to give you the best bang for your buck. In terms of defining bang, it's really the opposite of the word in a sense, meaning.... What's going to keep it from going bang! and leaving you stranded :doh: hehe... in seriousness though, look at the weak spots of your Jeep based on how you want to wheel it. OEM Axles are notoriously weak and can always use some extra loving, be it with a replacement or parts addition like the EVO C2 gussets and axle sleeves. A locker is always a wise choice and can definitely assist in sticky situations.

cheers. :beer:

ncbmx64

now comes the hard part, figuring out what axle setup to get and how much this is going to cost me. anyone have any ideas on where to start or advice on what to get and what to stay away from, as Im sure most shops I call are going to tell me to get what they have on hand or what nets the best profit.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
now comes the hard part, figuring out what axle setup to get and how much this is going to cost me. anyone have any ideas on where to start or advice on what to get and what to stay away from, as Im sure most shops I call are going to tell me to get what they have on hand or what nets the best profit.

Call Off Road Evolution 714-870-5515. Straight up guys and experts in this area.

ncbmx64

Call Off Road Evolution 714-870-5515. Straight up guys and experts in this area.
I would love to have them do some work on my jeep. I am wanting to make a trip to CA not sure if it will happen as soon as I want since that is a long and expensive trip to CA from NC but I want to. Could always order from them and find shop to install or try to figure out how install it on my own.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
I would love to have them do some work on my jeep. I am wanting to make a trip to CA not sure if it will happen as soon as I want since that is a long and expensive trip to CA from NC but I want to. Could always order from them and find shop to install or try to figure out how install it on my own.

Ya, you can order from them and have a local shop or mechanic do the work. An axle swap is fairly straight forward for most mechanics whereas if you order an axle to have built up locally with gussets and sleeves, you'll want someone who knows how to weld well. ORE did offer a built up version of the OEM D44 axle and they would build it locally and then ship to you. I don't see it on their website, so it'd be best to call and talk to someone there. They do offer the ProRock44 builds directly on the website to give you an idea of costs: http://www.offroadevolution.com/store/products.php?cat=34

StrizzyChris

There are tons of people talking about upgrading their D30 to a Rubicon D44. You will have the exact same problems as the D30 as far as nuckle and tube weakness. A stock D44 axle tube and knuckle is NOT STRONGER. The only part that is better is the ring and pinion is larger which make the teeth stronger. Tooth strength will be your only issue (over a stock D44) if you plan to re-gear.

You have a 2012 and running 35's so I seriously doubt if youll be needing to re-gear, so I dont think an axle swap would be your best investment at this time. Yes 100% gusset the nuckles!!! Just be sure to remove the ball joints as they will be ruined if you weld with them on. Might as well sleeve it while you're at it. Sleeving is not a cruicial as gussets but always a good security net.

StrizzyChris

You have a 2012 and running 35's so I seriously doubt if youll be needing to re-gear, so I dont think an axle swap would be your best investment at this time.

I guess the only argument for a complete swap would be, if ur going to do all the upgrades AND pay someone to install an expensive locker, then thats a lot to invest in a D30. If ur doing all the work and maybe placing an ox or eaton locker then id keep what u got and save for other mods. Again, just my humble opinion. :twocents:

StrizzyChris said:
I guess the only argument for a complete swap would be, if ur going to do all the upgrades AND pay someone to install an expensive locker, then thats a lot to invest in a D30. If ur doing all the work and maybe placing an ox or eaton locker then id keep what u got and save for other mods. Again, just my humble opinion. :twocents:

I agree. You stated in the thread earlier that you would find someone to install the axel. That leads me to believe you would have some one do the other work as well (gussets, tubes, locker, ECT...). By the time you pay for all the parts and labor you are WELL on your way to a pro rock 44. I would have to go with the better axle in general. Lockers on a 30 is not something I personally would push.
Dynatrac, currie, teraflex, solid all make good axels. And about the same price. Do some research on the company's, call them on the phone and talk to them, see what they can tell you about their product.
Good luck. :) I'm envious that your getting axles.

Top Bottom