MobyJR has death wobble -__-

MobyJR

Like the title says.... Things like this only happen to me when I'm flat broke.
So yeah, who's had death wobble and actually fixed it?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Like the title says.... Things like this only happen to me when I'm flat broke.
So yeah, who's had death wobble and actually fixed it?

Suspension components. If you have time this weekend gimme a ring, you can swing by and we can try and find what the cause might be...:yup:

JAGS

Hooked
Didn't you have a sheared lug also? I recall you saying something like that when we were changing out ur shocks.

I'd take up frank on the offer. At least then you'll have a hand to help.

MobyJR

Suspension components. If you have time this weekend gimme a ring, you can swing by and we can try and find what the cause might be...:yup:

Thanks frank. Ill be working but if I get some free time ill let you know. Might be just something loose I hope.

MobyJR

Didn't you have a sheared lug also? I recall you saying something like that when we were changing out ur shocks.

I'd take up frank on the offer. At least then you'll have a hand to help.

Yes. I think I will. Just have to find some free time. Lol just about shit my pants on the 210 freeway about an hour ago.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
Just dealt with death wobble on my jeep I thought it was just tire balancing but I ended up having to replace the ball joints and steering stabilizer. Also replaced a worn trac bar. Jeep feels brand new again. Then I got new tires a week later. It's been an expensive month to own a jeep.

MobyJR

Just dealt with death wobble on my jeep I thought it was just tire balancing but I ended up having to replace the ball joints and steering stabilizer. Also replaced a worn trac bar. Jeep feels brand new again. Then I got new tires a week later. It's been an expensive month to own a jeep.

Lol I've owned wranglers and nothing else since I was 16 and have had plenty I those months lol but DW is a first for me.

MobyJR

I think if I save and buy exactly what you bought that'll fix the thing for sure

Tigrcky

Steering stabilizer is the most common problem there was even a technical service bulletin from Chrysler for an updated design and mounting location

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Steering stabilizer is the most common problem there was even a technical service bulletin from Chrysler for an updated design and mounting location

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

SS isn't the cause of DW. It might hide it for a while but the cause is suspension components, ball joints, wheel balancing issues and such.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
SS isn't the cause of DW. It might hide it for a while but the cause is suspension components, ball joints, wheel balancing issues and such.

What he said. You can drive a Jeep with or without a steering stabilizer and assuming your suspension and steering components are dialed in, you will not have DW - I guarantee it. At best, an SS will just mask DW, it cannot cause or fix it.

Tigrcky

actually I respectfully disagree, I work in a shop as an ASE certified tech and we had an 2007 rubicon in for a death wobble. all the ball joints were replaced the tracking bar was replaced and it was still there. as soon as the new steering stabilizer was put on the wobble went away.

MTG

Caught the Bug
actually I respectfully disagree, I work in a shop as an ASE certified tech and we had an 2007 rubicon in for a death wobble. all the ball joints were replaced the tracking bar was replaced and it was still there. as soon as the new steering stabilizer was put on the wobble went away.

Probably because it masked the problem, rather than solving it.

Rob

You put a band aid on it, you didnt fix it. Somewhere there is still a worn/untorqued/out balance component.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

You'll forgive me but, nobody said that a steering stabilizer would help mask or hide death wobble but, that's far from actually "fixing" it. If you take a brand new Jeep and take off it's steering stabilizer, I can guarantee you that it will not have death wobble. If you take a built up Jeep that has it's steering and suspension dialed in and without any worn out or loose components and take off its steering stabilizer off, I can guarantee you that it won't have death wobble either. Of course, I've just stayed in a Holiday Inn Express so, what would I know. :crazyeyes:

MTG

Caught the Bug
nobody said that a steering stabilizer would help mask or hide death wobble

I said it. :cheesy:

If you take a built up Jeep that has it's steering and suspension dialed in and without any worn out or loose components and take off its steering stabilizer off, I can guarantee you that it won't have death wobble either.

I haven't had my SS on since April or May. Drovive several thousand miles like that. Even wheeled it at the mall once. Got a touch of death wobble...found a weld broken on my axle trackbar mount. In hindsight maybe I should have just put my SS back on instead of fixing the weld? :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom