Buying a used JK with low vs high mileage

LetsGoMuddin

Hey guys,
I'm still searching for a used JK and I was wondering how long these vehicles will last? Is 100,000 miles too much? I want something that doesn't have that much mileage, and will last me a long long time. How long have you guys driven your JKs and how much longer do you hope to have them? Thanks for the help!

MikeO

Bought mine new in 2012 and already have 65,000 on it. Runs like I just bought it and I hope it stays that way for a long time. A long as it was taken care of, 100,000 is nothing nowadays.

Sent from my MB865 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, as mentioned, we had over 100,000 miles on our first motor and only swapped it out because we needed a new transmission and found one that came with a brand new motor. I'm sure it would have lasted a lot longer. Having said that, there have been a few people I know of with oil consumption problems and even pretty early on. This is the one thing I would be on the look out for.

seanb123

Hey guys,
I'm still searching for a used JK and I was wondering how long these vehicles will last? Is 100,000 miles too much? I want something that doesn't have that much mileage, and will last me a long long time. How long have you guys driven your JKs and how much longer do you hope to have them? Thanks for the help!

It all depends on how you want to drive it. Driving it every day I'd go for less than 100k I really can't see it lasting more than say 160k but that's just me. If it's going to be a trail rig go for it if your not going to load the miles on. Also stuff like huge tires do add a little more strain on the engine so keep that in mind as well.

jeeeep

Hooked
I own a 2010, 3.5 lift, 35's and have over 85000 miles - it gets driven, tows, wheeled and overall used...
It still runs strong but I keep it maintained - regular oil changes, I also change the transmission more often than required especially after a busy summer of towing etc...
my last Jeep was approaching 120000 miles before I sold it

Last edited:

Tyler02

I purchased my 07 jku a little over a year ago with 91,000. I now have 115,000 miles on it the only issues I have had were a wheel seal leaking and a water pump leak. Both of the issues were very easily fixed. I honestly believe that any vehicle you take proper care of will last you.

dahreno

Banned
Wow , you guys drive alot ! Bought my 2008 in 2007 and only have a little over 60 grand on it . I have had zero issues .

JKWrang

Vehicles nowadays last well into 150k+ IF properly maintained. Depending upon your driving style a good price at 100k+ miles isn't the death trap it used to be.

Sent from my phone while I should probably be getting work done

cap

As would be the case with any vehicle over 100k miles, it would be the better part of prudence to make sure you have some coin set aside for repairs.

Smoked

60k on my 2011 and still runs just fine... Keep up with the maintenance on it is the key to a happy Jeep...

Mtsnowjk

Just hit 100k on my 09 JKU with automatic. I almost traded it in earlier this year because I was afraid of the 100k mark but I have had no problems at all and it is running pretty well. At this pace I figure it will be fine for another 60k or so. The transmission is what worries me the most. It has held up well but I can tell it is starting to slip a bit. I would have no worries about going with a high mileage JK as long as it has been well maintained.

Top Bottom