ARB vs VIAR on board air

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Well after airing up this weekend with my viar underhood and only being able to do 4 tires.....it hit its temp limit and shut off. So now thinking about what a better option would be. It was fine for my 35s but 37s are sort of a stretch for it anymore. I feel like just moving it to the back or something would be the easiest, but wondering if maybe the arb setup would be better. If I could get a powerplant for a good price I would just switch to that.

Also thought about a powertank but not sure how cost effective filling it up all the time would be.

pvanweelden

I would suggest a York, 10 cfm
Electric compressors only avg 1.5-2 cfm
I fill all (4) 36" tires at once in 3 mins with a york and a 3 gallon tank, and run air tools for more than a minute at a time :)
York with a 6spline clutch from junkyard= less than $100
Get the bracket from offroadonly (search jk york)

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Army_Vet

Banned
Well after airing up this weekend with my viar underhood and only being able to do 4 tires.....it hit its temp limit and shut off. So now thinking about what a better option would be. It was fine for my 35s but 37s are sort of a stretch for it anymore. I feel like just moving it to the back or something would be the easiest, but wondering if maybe the arb setup would be better. If I could get a powerplant for a good price I would just switch to that.

Also thought about a powertank but not sure how cost effective filling it up all the time would be.

I will take the viair off your hands

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

pvanweelden

just looked up the brackets from offroadonly- if you have a 07-11 jk, the bracket is $239 :mad:

if you have a 2012-13 jk- $529 :eek:

Kilby- JK 07-09 bracket- $260

might have to make my own jk bracket...:thinking:

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I know a york would be good, but for that price just for a bracket thats almost double that i paid for the viar.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I have yet to be let down by my VIAIR unit. Used it in -20F weather in northern Canada to 140F+ underhood temps after a day of wheeling in Moab.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have yet to be let down by my VIAIR unit. Used it in -20F weather in northern Canada to 140F+ underhood temps after a day of wheeling in Moab.

I am having no issues at all with myne, other than I feel it should fill longer than it did the other day. I feel the underhood temps do not help at all after a day of wheeling.

pvanweelden

i've had a c02 tank before, they are fast, but unpredictable as to when they will run out, and you have to find a local Gas/co2 company to refill them.
Cost to refill the 20 lb tank was $10
i averaged 40(36"-40") tires per 20lb tank. depends on how much air is required obviously.
You can run power tools as well, but will quickly drain the tank.

you can usually buy a tank and regulator from the local carbonated gas company for cheap- less than $100
all you need is the regulator/ gauge/ and quick disconnect

Rob

Maybe relocate it to behind one of the tail lights or into the cab? My 400p airs up my 37's no problem but its not under the hood where its 200 degrees.

suicideking

I originally had a Viair 400C installed under the hood to fill 35's and power my rear ARB locker. It would constantly overheat, even in the winter. The final straw was early spring when it was not even 80 degrees in Big Bear. I didn't even use my locker so had it off all day. When it was time to air up, it crapped out when I had barely started the third tire.

I returned it and got the ARB dual head compressor, installed under the passenger seat. So glad that Viair is gone. Just make sure whatever you get that it's a 100% duty cycle. The 400C wasn't. they have the 450C which is 100%, but slow to fill tires.

I run the Viair mounted here:

IMG_20130410_201224_177.jpg

I've been really happy with it so far.

ttfhell

I originally had a Viair 400C installed under the hood to fill 35's and power my rear ARB locker. It would constantly overheat, even in the winter. The final straw was early spring when it was not even 80 degrees in Big Bear. I didn't even use my locker so had it off all day. When it was time to air up, it crapped out when I had barely started the third tire.

Same here. Currently using for my lockers and carrying a smittybuilt spare to are up. Might go the dual ARB route one day. Is it loud inside?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Same here. Currently using for my lockers and carrying a smittybuilt spare to are up. Might go the dual ARB route one day. Is it loud inside?

This! I am waiting for my viair to shit the bed. Ill probably upgrade to ARB or just get a powerplant, not sure yet. Russ and I just had this conversation on Saturday.

suicideking

It's not very loud. I've had it for a few months, but have had an air leak since I got it. Air leak was fixed last week, so should not be as annoying now. It was annoying just because it would turn on about every 20 seconds and stay on for 10 seconds or so. So this weekend will be my first run with it working 'right'.

Even with an air leak, it was much quicker at filling tires than the Viair.

David1tontj

Weird to hear all the negative feedback on viair... I've had a viair 400p hard mounted under the hood for 12 years!! Still hasn't died! I had it on 3 different rigs in the 12 years, and never had it shut off on me. The fj40 I had it on had 38.5x16.5r15 swampers, then it was on my pickup that ran 35s, and now on my jeep with the 40s. Maybe they are making them differently/ cheaply now?? I have been just waiting for it to die, but so far so good. I'm interested to hear more on this.. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380090002.877025.jpg

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Skirmish

I've only had the ARB CMK12 for a little over a year and it has given me a lot of problems. It is faster than most of the Viair I've seen but usually quits in the heat a lot sooner. In 110 degree heat or higher I am lucky to get 5 35" tires up before the temp sensor kicks in meanwhile a Viair is still running. Once it overheats it won't run more that 30 seconds before quitting unless I leave it off for 20 minutes.

Less than a year after I bought it the pressure sensor started leaking air. Two months later the connector for the main power melted and blew the fuse. Scanning the internet showed it was a common problem as the connector is underrated for the compressor.

Having a tank inline helps a lot. I can fill 2 gallons of air while I'm driving and cooling the pump but the Viairs I've seen run twice the pressure so a tank would be a bigger benefit for them.

I'm impressed by the speed of the ARB but more impressed with the quality of the Viairs.

Smokinjoe

I run the Viair 400C setup for JK's mounted in engine compartment, I fill three 37's and then overheats on fourth 37, I have hood open no difference, to get it going again I pour water over sensor and starts up again.

This setup is for JK does Viair not know there is a problem ? I do like Viair but the over heating thing is wearing on me.

Top Bottom