Stability Control Error Help Needed

BBrown626

2011 Rubicon 2-door.
After hitting the trails I aired up and headed back home. I found the steering wheel was about 15 degrees off center. Going around a corner the stability control activated. After that the stability control light stayed on steady. Shut if off and turn it back on a few times in the last few days and the light remains on. I centered the steering wheel and it did not resolve the problem. I disconnected the positive lead on the battery and waited a minute before reconnecting. That did not resolve the problem. An inspection of the all the visible wiring near the wheels did not reveal any damage or obvious problems.
I had recently changed from a coil lift to coil-overs. Replaced drive shafts, added wheel spacers, adjusted castor.
There appears to be plenty of slack on the sensor lines in the front. They follow the brake lines and had slack at full droop.
The rear lines had slack at full droop.
The system worked fine before the trail and the wheel was centered.

Aside from another look for damage to the wiring is there any testing I can do before taking it to the stealership for inspection?
Any way to narrow it down to a single sensor or cause?

Thank you,

Brent

Army_Vet

Banned
2011 Rubicon 2-door.
After hitting the trails I aired up and headed back home. I found the steering wheel was about 15 degrees off center. Going around a corner the stability control activated. After that the stability control light stayed on steady. Shut if off and turn it back on a few times in the last few days and the light remains on. I centered the steering wheel and it did not resolve the problem. I disconnected the positive lead on the battery and waited a minute before reconnecting. That did not resolve the problem. An inspection of the all the visible wiring near the wheels did not reveal any damage or obvious problems.
I had recently changed from a coil lift to coil-overs. Replaced drive shafts, added wheel spacers, adjusted castor.
There appears to be plenty of slack on the sensor lines in the front. They follow the brake lines and had slack at full droop.
The rear lines had slack at full droop.
The system worked fine before the trail and the wheel was centered.

Aside from another look for damage to the wiring is there any testing I can do before taking it to the stealership for inspection?
Any way to narrow it down to a single sensor or cause?

Thank you,

Brent

How did you center the steering wheel?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Yeah, it takes longer than a minute for the battery to reset. I'd start there. If you have a programmer it should be able to reset it as well. A code reader will tell you what you need. If you don't have one, I'm sure an auto parts store will do it for free. Otherwise it's a trip the dealership.

Some other things to check, besides the wires themselves, is the sensors, the connection at the sensors, and see if there is a bunch of mud or dirt caked on your wheels.

Good luck!

BBrown626

Tie rod is good.
Battery disconnected for six hours did not clear it. I will give it a more thorough inspection and hopefully figure it out without paying the dealer.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
How long did you drive with the steering wheel off center?

Mine was off center as well and about a mile after we aired up I pulled over to fix it.

BBrown626

Try over inflating the tires to the exact same pressures drive a bit then adjust

I run 36psi on the highway.

Do I need to throw some salt over my shoulder and do some kabuki dance while inflating the tire with the battery disconnected with the top down in four low?

Army_Vet

Banned
I run 36psi on the highway.

Do I need to throw some salt over my shoulder and do some kabuki dance while inflating the tire with the battery disconnected with the top down in four low?
So you started off wheeling with the wheel straight. then aired up and it was off center. you adjusted the trackbar to recenter.

My money is on something is bent, and you didn't correct the problem, just masked it; If I have something wrong, please correct me, The facts will help us help you.

FrankenJeeper

My money is on something is bent, and you didn't correct the problem, just masked it; If I have something wrong, please correct me, The facts will help us help you.

I second this, if he centered the steering wheel and it's still acting up, and nothing electrical is damaged something is bent.

First time my steering wheel got off center, I drove it like that for about 100 miles before I re centered it and the light went away within a mile.

BBrown626

There are two separate issues, but i did inspect the steering to see what changed. It is a mechanical system and something changed. Not a new scratch on the tie rod or drag link and it drives perfectly. Maybe the drag link moved? The Synergy link has joints on each end. If they are not tight the link can droop and that changes the geometry. I saw that when I first installed it. Everything is tight but maybe I moved it a little when centering the wheel.
My wife took it to lunch today. She called to say the light cleared when she started it to return home.
Maybe a poor connection or the threat of a kabuki dance?
Does the computer need to relearn anything to clear the fault? Maybe it took it a few miles to learn?

Last edited:

Army_Vet

Banned
Not a new scratch on the tie rod or drag link and it drives perfectly. Maybe the drag link moved? Everything is tight.
My wife took it to lunch today. She called to say the light cleared when she started it to return home.
Maybe a poor connection or the threat of a kabuki dance?
Does the computer need to relearn anything to clear the fault? Maybe it took it a few miles to learn?

Well thats great. Steve(cozdude) had this same problem recently, his front track bar was loose. Maybe yours seems tight until the 2 ton jeep leans on it and it shifts in its mount. You may want to retorque the track bar bolts, just to be sure

im pretty sure there is no relearning involved, but im not positive

BBrown626

Well thats great. Steve(cozdude) had this same problem recently, his front track bar was loose. Maybe yours seems tight until the 2 ton jeep leans on it and it shifts in its mount. You may want to retorque the track bar bolts, just to be sure

im pretty sure there is no relearning involved, but im not positive

Thanks for the suggestion. I crawled under and checked for loose fasteners on all the recently touched suspension parts while airing up. After all this was the shakedown run for several new parts. I don't think I hit the front track bar though. Time to bust out the torque wrench.

Top Bottom