New Tires

MikeO

Ever since I went with larger tires(33x12.50x17)I've noticed that at highway speeds when I hit bumps I feel my steering wheel shake a bit. Is this something that is normal when running larger tires? I am new to all this Jeep stuff and would appreciate any helpful information. Thanks...

Smitty

It depends on what kind of shake you mean. Sometimes with wider tires and less backspacing you will experience more feel in the steering wheel due to the scrub radius changing. This should be very small. If you experience considerable shake or death wobble you may have another issue with your lift. A couple of terms to search in the forums would be "steering geometry" and "death wobble". There are some good write ups and you may be able to determine what you are feeling. This will also give insight on how to correct it. In the meantime please describe the condition with more detail and we may be able to assist further.

MikeO

It depends on what kind of shake you mean. Sometimes with wider tires and less backspacing you will experience more feel in the steering wheel due to the scrub radius changing. This should be very small. If you experience considerable shake or death wobble you may have another issue with your lift. A couple of terms to search in the forums would be "steering geometry" and "death wobble". There are some good write ups and you may be able to determine what you are feeling. This will also give insight on how to correct it. In the meantime please describe the condition with more detail and we may be able to assist further.

It's deff. not death wobble. My Jeep is stock except for tires and discos. The shake I feel is when I hit bumps or uneven pavement and the wheel shakes from left to right, nothing bad though. I was wondering if maybe I should upgrade my steering stabilizer?

Smitty

A steering stabilizer may help if your OEM one is faulty. If it is very slight it might just be the feel that is experienced when changing the scrub radius significantly changed. Does it feel dangerous or just something you notice?

Army_Vet

Banned
It's deff. not death wobble. My Jeep is stock except for tires and discos. The shake I feel is when I hit bumps or uneven pavement and the wheel shakes from left to right, nothing bad though. I was wondering if maybe I should upgrade my steering stabilizer?

I think what your feeling is the tires grabbing bits of uneven road. If this is what it is... it is normal and i wouldn't upgrade anything. Just the larger surface area of the tire. But like i said, if this is what it is. Im pretty sure it is from what you describe.

Alan30

I think what your feeling is the tires grabbing bits of uneven road. If this is what it is... it is normal and i wouldn't upgrade anything. Just the larger surface area of the tire. But like i said, if this is what it is. Im pretty sure it is from what you describe.

Agree with what Army Vet said. I would, however put on a relocation for your steering stabilizer. ForumRunner_20130919_184803.png I replaced my SS too, because I broke it. Whole setup was about $115

MikeO

Thanks guys, I'm gonna look into it today. It's nothing bad or scary just something I've noticed since I went with larger tires.

Sent from my MB865 using WAYALIFE mobile app

bl17z90

It def isn't your stabalizer, what Mark said makes perfect sense. You can actually run without a stabalizer if you really want to. :yup:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Thanks guys, I'm gonna look into it today. It's nothing bad or scary just something I've noticed since I went with larger tires.

Sent from my MB865 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mine did so when I first had the tires put on. Realized the tire pressure was way too high it was causing bump steer. What psi are you running?

MikeO

Mine did so when I first had the tires put on. Realized the tire pressure was way too high it was causing bump steer. What psi are you running?

At first when I got the Jeep back they had 50 psi in them. I deflated last weekend to go wheeling and put 40 psi back in. I'm thinking I may still be a bit too high?

KPM171

Agree with what Army Vet said. I would, however put on a relocation for your steering stabilizer. View attachment 50484 I replaced my SS too, because I broke it. Whole setup was about $115

You got any more details on that steering stabilizer relocation bracket? I know I could just google it, but was wondering which combo you were running. If/when you go with a bigger lift, are you thinking of swapping that out for a dual steering stabilizer?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
At first when I got the Jeep back they had 50 psi in them. I deflated last weekend to go wheeling and put 40 psi back in. I'm thinking I may still be a bit too high?

I run between 28-32 psi. It's a nice soft ride. Anything more than that and you'll get a rough ride like you are describing. Air down to about 30 and see what you think.

KPM171

I run between 28-32 psi. It's a nice soft ride. Anything more than that and you'll get a rough ride like you are describing. Air down to about 30 and see what you think.

I always thought optimal MPG's were around 37 psi. I guess a soft ride and good MPG's don't go together? :D

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I always thought optimal MPG's were around 37 psi. I guess a soft ride and good MPG's don't go together? :D

Yes. Optimal might get you a few more miles out of the tires, but you'll be pissing blood and splashing you're beverages all the live long day.

RUMMY

I'm running 285s also and have played around with psi and mine feels best at 37 psi but I'm running duratracs so it may vary from tire to tire also . When I aired down to 32 it wonders more .

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Alan30

You got any more details on that steering stabilizer relocation bracket? I know I could just google it, but was wondering which combo you were running. If/when you go with a bigger lift, are you thinking of swapping that out for a dual steering stabilizer?
It's all Teraflex KP. And no, check out the video on youtube high lighting the stabilizer. It's much larger than stock and it was designed for larger tires.

Top Bottom