TJ starting spontaneously! It's like Christine!

Mauiview

Hey I just picked up a 99 TJ last night and it's in pretty good shape. Tranny leaks a little. But the annoying thing is that it starts up at random and shuts off. No keys, no driver, just ghosts or zombies! I assume this is due to someone at one time trying to jimmy the ignition switch as it is damaged.

Anyone have any tips on troubleshooting?

Thanks!

Brad

David1tontj

I wouldn't think it's a short on one of the wires, because I believe you need two hot wires to get it to start and run. I would put money on the ignition. Especially if its damaged. It needs to be fixed anyway, so why no start there? Also a good idea to replace the ignition, because it could lock your steering wheel if its not working properly... This happened to my brother in the middle of a left turn( this left turn became a u-turn real quick and he was lucky to keep it on the road). Good luck an keep us informed!

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Mauiview

It is an automatic transmission, and I did verify it was in park. My thoughts are in agreement with you both and I appreciate your feedback. I will start with the ignition, certainly don't want to do a U turn going down the freeway!

Brad

JKbrick

I'm thinking you could pull the leads off the battery also so it won't start when your not by it

David1tontj

It is an automatic transmission, and I did verify it was in park. My thoughts are in agreement with you both and I appreciate your feedback. I will start with the ignition, certainly don't want to do a U turn going down the freeway!

Brad

I was actually driving behind my brother when that happened and it really was a miracle he didn't hit another car or something! He wound up going all the way over the curb/median and pointing the other direction! I was like "what the heck was that????"

Army_Vet

Banned
I wouldn't think it's a short on one of the wires, because I believe you need two hot wires to get it to start and run. I would put money on the ignition. Especially if its damaged. It needs to be fixed anyway, so why no start there? Also a good idea to replace the ignition, because it could lock your steering wheel if its not working properly... This happened to my brother in the middle of a left turn( this left turn became a u-turn real quick and he was lucky to keep it on the road). Good luck an keep us informed!

David has a point with the ignition, but i think it is a short; in the ignition.

Mauiview

David has a point with the ignition, but i think it is a short; in the ignition.

I was reading the manual that came with the Jeep and it describes my issue based on the Sentry System not recognizing the key. But of course the key isn't in the ignition! The jeep starts, runs for 2 seconds, then shuts off.

Army_Vet

Banned
I was reading the manual that came with the Jeep and it describes my issue based on the Sentry System not recognizing the key. But of course the key isn't in the ignition! The jeep starts, runs for 2 seconds, then shuts off.

So the short is probably there; but the sentry doesnt recognise the key in the ignition, then shuts down.... makes sense to me

Mauiview

So the short is probably there; but the sentry doesnt recognise the key in the ignition, then shuts down.... makes sense to me
. In your opinion is that a basic or advanced issue to troubleshoot, I have never worked on an ignition before

David1tontj

Sounds like its a good thing you have the sentry system or your jeep would probably just run itself out of gas in the night!!

David1tontj

I'm still thinking its just the ignition, there is a Short (in the ignition) that causes the jeep to give power to the coil, and the starter, thats why i think its the ignition, because thats where both of those wires go... The sentry system thinks the truck is being hot wired so it shuts it off. Makes sense to me too.

Mauiview

I'm still thinking its just the ignition, there is a Short (in the ignition) that causes the jeep to give power to the coil, and the starter, thats why i think its the ignition, because thats where both of those wires go... The sentry system thinks the truck is being hot wired so it shuts it off. Makes sense to me too. 05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Ok thanks a lot. And I disconnected a battery terminal, I was cleaning it up today and it just kept starting! Freaky.

Mauiview

Should I go with replacing the ignition lock and assembly since it is what is damaged before I go any further?

David1tontj

Ok thanks a lot. And I disconnected a battery terminal, I was cleaning it up today and it just kept starting! Freaky.

You know..... It could just be the old owner following you around with a remote start!! Haha. That would be a fun prank! Let us know how it turns out!! Got pics of the jeep??

Mauiview

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380253273.621436.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380253295.601361.jpg
I found the pin code in my book so I can get the part keyed to my keys. I assume i will have to have the dealer do that part.

David1tontj

When I was younger I would leave the cb on with the PA switch on, and using a handheld CB from a long distance I would scare people walking by my rig! It was pretty dang funny

Top Bottom