Whats my first mod?

Raven Moon

Ok so I have my Jeep but I am making payments on it. I need to know a few things.
1.) Should I wait till I have it payed off till I make mods or upgrade with bolt-on parts?
2.) What should my first up grade be?
3.) Cost is a huge factor as I live off of disability from VA, I have to keep things simple.

Not sure what to do....

HLKSMSH

Welcome and Thank You for your Service I hit 7 years in the Army in November. As for first Mod I say Recovery gear and have fun till you really make up your mind on the end result of how you want your jeep to look.

JK's JK

Banned
I struggled with this myself. I started by reading the entree postings by Eddie and then submitting postings on the forum. Trying to understand what parts are the best and somewhat in the middle. Learning about tires, gears, bumpers, ball joints, ect. I just had to make the build fit my budjet. Of course I've only owned my jeep for a little of two months!!! But I've been able to lean onto people to. Big thanks to BONDSY. :friends:

thank you for your service and it is an honor to welcome you to the family of WAYALIFE. As for the first mod I would have to second recovery kit. With that you can pretty much get out of anything if you have gotten yourself into. When I purchased my JK it already had tires and wheels on it. If you watch on this forum you will find mebers selling take offs from stock Rubicons. Stock Rubicon springs and shorcks will give you a little more lift. The tires are, I believe, a little bigger than the stock ones you have. Also they have a more aggresive tread which give you more traction.

R/
Will

Raven Moon

Thanks for the info so far.
P.O.U (Philosophy of use) is as follows; Trail driving but not rock crawling, lower level obstacles and mud (desert environment), hunting trips etc...

As far as recovery gear is concerned, its a very top priority for me. I see it kind of like I trained in the military as standard equipment and learning. If recovery is considered upgrades then I guess that is my first priority however I don need to know my next step or two for planing. I will also need a bit more detail on upgrades. I also understand this is very opinion based and some will swear by products that others just dont like either from experience or product/brand loyalty.

Thank you in advance for your time and thought in this subject
Raven

Skirmish

The first things everyone new should be buying is what they always have to borrow first. An air compressor was one of my first as anytime you go off pavement you'll want to air down. There have been guys with the attitude that their friends have a pump they always borrow but if you are the guy with the air you will realize how annoying it is to always wait for that guy to air up on your time.

Tools are important and you will realize which as you go. A recovery strap is a must and always bring more water than you need. Those are the the basics.

After that, see what everyone else is using in the type of wheeling that you want to do. No sense building a rock crawler or a dune buggy if you are running backwoods fire trails.

Recovery equipment consists of a tow strap capable of 20,000 lbs or more, gloves, "D" rings, fire extinguisher, flashlight, first aid kit. these are just the basics. You can get kits which have some of these items. Fire extinguishers can be purchased and any home improvement store along with flashlights. I would recommend getting a quality flashlight with a LED buld. It is brighter and last longer. Also a rechargable one is a great idea along with a rechargable spot light. What is really cool about items like this is you can let your family know as possible gifts for your birthday or Christmas.

On the recovery strap make sure it has re-enforced loops and not metal hooks. I would recommend spending the extra money and getting a good one since it will be used to pull you out or you to pull someone out.

Spartan

Like was said before Rubicon take offs(tires,shocks, rock rails) should work good for you. Add a Teraflex 2.5in Budget Boost with shock extensions (if running Rubicon shocks.) and other then doing some axel reinforcement you'll be good to for what you are planing on doing.

KPM171

Like was said before Rubicon take offs(tires,shocks, rock rails) should work good for you. Add a Teraflex 2.5in Budget Boost with shock extensions (if running Rubicon shocks.) and other then doing some axel reinforcement you'll be good to for what you are planing on doing.

A CB, Tires, sway bar quick disconnects, and some additional armor (oil pan & everything in front of the cross member) would be my suggestion. For tires and mild lifts, those rubi take offs would be nice and easy on the pocket.

Financially, it's probably smarter to pay it off first. Buuuut... Good luck waiting that long! :D

Last edited:

Raven Moon

Ok so I will be going with a recovery kit first but that was a given even before I asked. I am however going to upgrade this kit to include a few things like commo (CB), tow straps (+an extra both 20K) Tree saver a couple of pickets, gloves, chem lights, head lamp, shackles (no point of attachment for me yet) and a flip flop winch. I already carry emergency gear and always have even in my old Ford Escape ( I actually helped recover a friends Jeep before with my old Escape). Then I will work on a new front bumper and winch combo. After that I will work on a 2" coil lift followed by new wheels and 33" tires. I think this is a good plan.

What do you think? Thanks for your time
Raven

Ok so I will be going with a recovery kit first but that was a given even before I asked. I am however going to upgrade this kit to include a few things like commo (CB), tow straps (+an extra both 20K) Tree saver a couple of pickets, gloves, chem lights, head lamp, shackles (no point of attachment for me yet) and a flip flop winch. I already carry emergency gear and always have even in my old Ford Escape ( I actually helped recover a friends Jeep before with my old Escape). Then I will work on a new front bumper and winch combo. After that I will work on a 2" coil lift followed by new wheels and 33" tires. I think this is a good plan.

What do you think? Thanks for your time
Raven

Keep an eye on the for sale threads. This morning a member was selling the springs and leveling kit off his Rubi with all control arms for $200. you will find a ton of deals there along with craigslist.

Top Bottom