Which oil do you like?

CaliCrusher

I've got a '12 JKU and its time for the first oil change. Any feelings on this or preferences?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Army_Vet

Banned
I've got a '12 JKU and its time for the first oil change. Any feelings on this or preferences?

Full synthetic in whatever brand that tickles you willie

this is its first oil change.... or yours with it?

Army_Vet

Banned
Yeah, I've had it two months-about 3500 miles.

My question was because of how surprising it is to see a brand new 12 model.... but ya full synth.... any reputable brand. they are all good.

my own preference.... Moble 1... Personally i would stay away from house brands; but thats just me.

Just an fyi for those out there..... With regular dino oil, we run 15w40 in our fleet diesel trucks, we are going 25,000 miles between oil changes. go figure that shit out!!!!!

Last edited:

miguel250r

My question was because of how surprising it is to see a brand new 12 model.... but ya full synth.... any reputable brand. they are all good.

my own preference.... Moble 1... Personally i would stay away from house brands; but thats just me.

Just an fyi for those out there..... With regular dino oil, we run 15w40 in our fleet diesel trucks, we are going 25,000 miles between oil changes. go figure that shit out!!!!!

Arnt u suppose to wait till after 5k miles to use synthetic?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Read my replies in this thread. Everything you will ever need to know about oil. Stay away from Royal Purple.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?6985-Mobil-1-extended-performance-oil

No opinions, no BS, just facts.

If you don't feel like reading, the answer is simple...go to your big box store (Walmart, Target, Costco, whatever) and buy the proper weight synthetic from any of the big name manufacturers. Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, etc. They are all good oils. Most of the time everyone uses mobil1 because it's great and is usually the cheapest. If in your area Castrol is cheaper, by all means, so long as it is a 100% synthetic oil. The reason why I tell everyone to stay away from Royal Purple is purely economic...it performs worse than most big name oils, and costs a considerable amount more. I see no logical reason to run it.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Why? I think royal is good.

I know my English sucks lol

Sorry, I edited my reply above, but I guess you responded before I was done. There is nothing really wrong with RP. Your motor won't blow up (although there have been many cases of motors no running right, having exaggerated valvetrain noises, etc on many vehicles) but again...everywhere I see it sold, it costs more than Mobil1 and it is an inferior oil. So that begs the question...why run a more expensive product that performs worse than a cheaper product?

Brankz

Sorry, I edited my reply above, but I guess you responded before I was done. There is nothing really wrong with RP. Your motor won't blow up (although there have been many cases of motors no running right, having exaggerated valvetrain noises, etc on many vehicles) but again...everywhere I see it sold, it costs more than Mobil1 and it is an inferior oil. So that begs the question...why run a more expensive product that performs worse than a cheaper product?

No worry, yea RP cost allot, I need to change my oil so I will try mobil1

I know my English sucks lol

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
No first oil change a 3k is fine...

This. Jeep doesn't use moly additives so there is no reason to keep the OEM oil in there (unlike something like a Honda lets say, which add special additives to break the motor in properly.) You can switch at any time.

Hobolobo

I use castrol syntec (or synblend). Its a synthetic blend, and change at about 5-8k mi. Used it since i bought my 06 chevy in 2008. No probs yet.

CaliCrusher

I use castrol syntec (or synblend). Its a synthetic blend, and change at about 5-8k mi. Used it since i bought my 06 chevy in 2008. No probs yet.

That Amsoil looks pretty appealing. 15k-25k miles between oil changes or 1 year of use, whichever comes first. At $10 per quart and $7 for a filter spending the extra money once a year for an oil that doesn't breakdown seems like a no brainer to me.

BBrown626

I use Amsoil in my motorcycle, Jeep, Tundra, Corolla and Mazda3.
In the Jeep I change it at 15k intervals, or one year, along with the filter.
My Corolla is just shy of 190k miles. It gets a filter every ~7000 miles and fresh oil every 20k.
The motorcycle gets fresh oil and filter every 10 hours, but that is a different beast.

Ramasun

That Amsoil looks pretty appealing. 15k-25k miles between oil changes or 1 year of use, whichever comes first. At $10 per quart and $7 for a filter spending the extra money once a year for an oil that doesn't breakdown seems like a no brainer to me.

Unless you are counting on any warranty coverage...or have extended warranty/service contract.

2k13jk

Im a strong believer in synthetic oil i switched my old cherokee with the 4.0 to synthetic at 135000 miles ran it to 180000 miles before i sold it engine ran great with synthetic oil and its on sale 6 qts of mobile 1 full synthetic for like 37.99 at Cosco cant beat that deal

Macman1138

I have been using the Royal Purple 5w 20 with a Royal Purple filter. High as hell, but I save money by having better quality oil and filter and running both longer, 5,000 miles between changes. Never burns a drop of oil.

I was skeptical, but I have seen a lot of tests and too many testimonials to dismiss using their products.

Last edited:
Top Bottom