Anyone running 15" wheels

miguel250r

I was wondering if there is any cons to running 15s besides looks and lack of wheel options I was thinking of running them just Cuz of the price of tires I just can't see paying $1600+ for a set of tires every time I need a set

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

I'm not sure on a JK, but typically you want to make sure the rim has clearance to the caliper. One of the JK guys on here should know. From an offroad standpoint, a good friend of mine and wheeling buddy says he won't go bigger than a 37 on 15" rims because of the amount that the sidewall flexes sideways on a side hill. He thinks they feel way too sloppy. Also your on-road performance will suffer as you would have more flex in the sidewall on corners.

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Chili

I was wondering if there is any cons to running 15s besides looks and lack of wheel options I was thinking of running them just Cuz of the price of tires I just can't see paying $1600+ for a set of tires every time I need a set

I went with 15's when I needed tires recently. Cost was the single most reason for me, plus I like the increased sidewall for the rocks we have here in Arizona. Two things to consider:

-It can be hard to find a wheel that will clear the calipers.
-If you want to upgrade your factory tie rod to one of the heavy duty aftermarket ones, you probably won't be able to due to clearance issues.

Here's what mine looks like with 15's:

KPM171

In addition to costing less, tires on a 15" rim also generally weigh less than their 17", 18", or 20" equivalent. Just something to think on.

David1tontj

In addition to costing less, tires on a 15" rim also generally weigh less than their 17", 18", or 20" equivalent. Just something to think on.

Not saying its not true, but I would've thought the opposite! Less tire less weight? I guess I learned something new today

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

have you considered a 16" rim? kinda has benifits of 17" rims and 15" rims at the same time (i think, its a really good guess) its what i run and i like it. helps keep the price down as well as making sure you have the proper clearance for everything

KPM171

Not saying its not true, but I would've thought the opposite! Less tire less weight? I guess I learned something new today

Completely agree. I was baffled when I did the comparison and saw the results while planning out my build.

BFG KM2 in a...
  • 35x12.50r15 = 61lbs
  • 35x12.50r17 = 68lbs
  • 325/60r20 = 72lbs. (The 20 is actually closer to a 35.4x12.80r20)

miguel250r

OK thanks guys and also I think I was told 15" pro comp wheels with a part # ending in 73 from 4wheel parts will clear the jk brake calipers not sure if that's true or not tho

RockyJk

Pro comp's 98 series are for JK's not sure of the part number tho, that's what I have on mine 98 series soft 8's:thumbup:

Lagavulin

I'm running 15's. I was looking to make the jump to 17's but after reading this thread I've decided to stick with them. I thinks he ones I have now are pro comps but I can't tell. still looking to swap them out for another set of 15's just not sure what I want to go with.

Xodius

Banned
I run 15's and love them here in the desert. I went from stock 17's down. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I ran 15s on my rig and loved em. Loved the extra sidewall, made the ride smoother. Very lightweight as well. 33x12.50s with wheels weighed the same as the stock rubicon setup.

8733622309_882b6af77e_c.jpg

seanb123

Run 15 alloy mb tko look good not that expensive and you don't run into clearance problems and of course you save on the tire price. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380585686.891252.jpg

Top Bottom