U-joints, C clip vs. Full circle clip

Tumbleweed

Simple question, I hope. ;-)

Is the only difference in the U-joint the clip? Can they be used interchangeably?

I lost the caps on my new PR44 and ruined the outer stub shaft. Wallowed out the holes!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can only run full-circle clips on a shaft that has yokes that allow for them to be installed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to have had to be the bearer of bad news. Most chromoly shafts come with yokes that allow for full circle clips. With them, you will not have the problem you have now. I would highly recommend that you get a set for this reason.

Rollincoal420

All you have to do is grind down the inner part of the yoke on a c-clip axle to fit a full circlip.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
All you have to do is grind down the inner part of the yoke on a c-clip axle to fit a full circlip.

If you're okay with potentially compromising the integrity of the yoke, yeah, you could do that. Would be easier to just tack weld the caps in place though. Of course, the benefit of chromoly shafts is that in addition to allowing you to use full circle clips, they will also be stronger.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
If you're okay with potentially compromising the integrity of the yoke, yeah, you could do that. Would be easier to just tack weld the caps in place though. Of course, the benefit of chromoly shafts is that in addition to allowing you to use full circle clips, they will also be stronger.

That's what I did on my stock Rubi D44 shafts. High quality set off grease able ujoints with full circle clips. But in stead of using the clips, I tacked the caps in place at three locations on each cap. Worked out great. I ran stock shafts for 65k miles on 37" tires with only a broken stock ujoint, that I broke on trail, ironically called axle alley. Luckily the ears on the shaft didn't spread and break. I only went to RCVs because I got them for a screaming deal of $475, from someone trading in their JK.

Rollincoal420

If you're okay with potentially compromising the integrity of the yoke, yeah, you could do that.

How much do you think you gotta take off to fit a full circlip? It's not even an 1/8 off an inch, across not even half of the diaper of the cap. And even then, it's no thinner than the rest of the yoke that the cap goes in.

Im guessing the problem with this idea is that it's not something you have done so it's the wrong answer. It's been done for years on many an axle shaft without problems. Sure, if wr spending money on chromo's then yeah, this is a pointless idea. But if it's something that's keeping a jeep off the trail, or funds are tapped out, or you simply done have access to another chromo shaft, then this is a fair practice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How much do you think you gotta take off to fit a full circlip? It's not even an 1/8 off an inch, across not even half of the diaper of the cap. And even then, it's no thinner than the rest of the yoke that the cap goes in.

Funny, last time I looked, there's a lot more material that needs to be removed on a JK front axle shaft yoke than just a mere 1/8" to get a full circle clip to fit (see red areas highlighted in image below) but hey, what do I know.

front-axle-u-joint.jpg

Im guessing the problem with this idea is that it's not something you have done so it's the wrong answer. It's been done for years on many an axle shaft without problems. Sure, if wr spending money on chromo's then yeah, this is a pointless idea.

I'm guessing the problem with this idea is that clearly, it's is the only thing you've ever done so it's got to be the right answer. Sure, it's been done for years but believe it or not, there are better, faster and easier solutions like simply tack welding on the caps. Sure, if you're into doing a lot more work than is necessary, it's a great idea. :yup:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Eddie do you have any pics of welded caps? i am thinking about doing this as a just incase till i can get new fronts with full circle clips.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, my friend BONDSY did this not too long ago on his Jeep.

attachment.php

You don't even need to pull the shafts to do this and, when it's time to replace them, simply grind off the weld. Simple as that :yup:

Rollincoal420

Funny, last time I looked, there's a lot more material that needs to be removed on a JK front axle shaft yoke than just a mere 1/8" to get a full circle clip to fit (see red areas highlighted in image below) but hey, what do I know.

View attachment 51092

I'm guessing the problem with this idea is that clearly, it's is the only thing you've ever done so it's got to be the right answer. Sure, it's been done for years but believe it or not, there are better, faster and easier solutions like simply tack welding on the caps. Sure, if you're into doing a lot more work than is necessary, it's a great idea. :yup:

So, then, what do you do when that cute little tack brakes and there is no clip? Loose the cap. Tacks brake, just like c clips pop out. There is a bunch of ways to handle this situation. That was simply just another idea. But I guess since no one has read it on the internet, it must not be true...

TheDuff

So, then, what do you do when that cute little tack brakes and there is no clip? Loose the cap. Tacks brake, just like c clips pop out. There is a bunch of ways to handle this situation. That was simply just another idea. But I guess since no one has read it on the internet, it must not be true...

If u lost the c clip AND broke the weld, then u probably have bigger issues to address.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Hmmm, can't say that I've ever seen that happen before but, I'm new to all this Jeepin stuff. Being that you just stated it happens and on the internet, I'll defer to your self-professed expertise. :thumb:

If u lost the c clip AND broke the weld, then u probably have bigger issues to address.

That's what I was thinking but, what would I know :idontknow:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I dont understand all the hate and anger in what seems like almost every thread anymore. I know people have opinions and all but...arnt we all adults here?

Tumbleweed

You can only run full-circle clips on a shaft that has yokes that allow for them to be installed.
Not to open up a can of worms, but...

Just to clarify, I cannot merely upgrade the u-joint itself. Change a C clip u-joint for a full Circle u-joint. I would have to change axle shafts and outer stub shafts? Just to get a full circle u-joint? If so, are there any other options?

I'm not crazy about the welding of the steel cap to a cast yoke. Welding to cast, even a tack weld, seems problematic to me. But I don't wish to go through this again, either!!!

Thanks everyone, and please keep it civil.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I dont understand all the hate and anger in what seems like almost every thread anymore. I know people have opinions and all but...arnt we all adults here?

LOL!! I do hope this wasn't directed toward me. Certainly, there's no hate or anger here :cool:

Just to clarify, I cannot merely upgrade the u-joint itself. Change a C clip u-joint for a full Circle u-joint. I would have to change axle shafts and outer stub shafts? Just to get a full circle u-joint? If so, are there any other options?

A U-joint is a U-joint. They are all the same and you can use either a standard C-clip to hold the caps in place or a full circle clip. As you can see in the photo I posted, a factory shaft is not machined in a way that will allow for the use of full circle clips. A chromoly shaft will be. With the exception of grinding out your factory yokes, there is no physical way for you to get a full circle clip installed on a factory shaft.

I'm not crazy about the welding of the steel cap to a cast yoke. Welding to cast, even a tack weld, seems problematic to me. But I don't wish to go through this again, either!!!

Factory axle shafts are forged steel, not cast iron.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
LOL!! I do hope this wasn't directed toward me. Certainly, there's no hate or anger here :cool:

no others. I understand where you are coming from with all of your answers.

what would suggest for new fronts? dont need any yet but may start looking around for new ones. rcv is out of my price range as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
no others. I understand where you are coming from with all of your answers.

what would suggest for new fronts? dont need any yet but may start looking around for new ones. rcv is out of my price range as well.

I've run RCV's and they are nice but, totally unnecessary. There are a lot of things you can buy with the $400 you would save from not getting them. Foote shafts are made in the USA but will cost a bit more than the competition. Superior used to make Evolution series shafts that were made in the USA as well but, I haven't seen anyone be able to get a set in a long time. Alloy USA, G2 and the like all make decent chromoly shafts made in India and they'll get the job done. The last few will be the most affordable as well but, you will need to make sure to order them with full circle clips or get them separately.

Top Bottom