85 CJ7 bottom end

graydragon2

I have an 85 CJ7 with 167k miles on the 2.5L engine. I was having timing problems so took it to a mechanic friend to help me set it. After we set the timing I got him to drive it and see any other problems he might find. Long story short the bottom end in the engine is starting to go. In other words its knocking in the bottom of the motor. Now to my question, I wasn't expecting to have to replace the motor so soon so I haven't got very much saved up. I may have a 2.5L with 76k miles available in my price range that is the exact same motor I have now with a lot less miles. Should I just replace it with this engine since it will be the closest match to what I have now or should I look for something better. I'm not doing very much in the mud and since I'm in south ga I don't get much in the way of rock climbing and with what I do with it the 4cyl in plenty engine for me. The only other motor I found is a 6cyl with the tranny and ecm but no wiring harness. If I go with the 4 cyl what kind of cost am I looking at vs the 6 cyl. Thanks for any responses. Also what about rebuilding the bottom end as far as cost and whether I should.

graydragon2

On the cost thing I'm not looking for an exact but more of what I'm gonna have to look at replacing by doing each replacement

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, if it were me, I would look into getting a 258. The I-6 is one of the most widely used motors Jeep ever made/used in their vehicles, one of the most bullet proof and, you'll have a much easier time working on it in the future. Should bolt right up.

FrankenJeeper

Honestly, if it were me, I would look into getting a 258. The I-6 is one of the most widely used motors Jeep ever made/used in their vehicles, one of the most bullet proof and, you'll have a much easier time working on it in the future. Should bolt right up.

X2
I have the 258 in my CJ5 and it is a very strong and reliable motor. Wiring for it is very simple, being carbureted, just needs fuel air and spark to run, most of the wiring is for gauges and switches and lights.

Top Bottom