Top off height

crowrb29

So this might be a totally stupid question and it might be all in my head but does anyone's jeep ride higher when they have the top and doors off? I haven't measured to confirm but it sure as hell feels like it's higher when I'm topless and doorless.

crowrb29

Again it might be all in my head but it doesn't seem like my skids smack as much stuff either which sort of helps reinforce me thinking it's higher.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Well less weight so yes it will be a tad higher. I doubt there is a measure able difference unless you have a hardtop and even then I don't think it would be much.

crowrb29

Yeah. It's a hard top. I sorta figured it was just me having wishful thinking considering I looked all over the Internet and no one had said anything about it.

GuillaumeC91

I have to say I have experienced the same feeling. Once I feel like my mods are complete (obviously always subject to change) I think I'll have a sticker made to put inside the Jeep so I can check before trying to drive in underground parkings or whatever else might be restrictive on height lol.

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

Devallee

I have to say I have experienced the same feeling. Once I feel like my mods are complete (obviously always subject to change) I think I'll have a sticker made to put inside the Jeep so I can check before trying to drive in underground parkings or whatever else might be restrictive on height lol. Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

I learned the hard way...nothing under 6'5" for me :cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, with a hard top, you will see a tiny bit of extra lift with it off but, nothing really measureable. Now, take off your doors too and you will see a rise in height.

jesse3638

Hooked
As mentioned, with a hard top, you will see a tiny bit of extra lift with it off but, nothing really measureable. Now, take off your doors too and you will see a rise in height.

My top and doors are all off I'm going to measure before I reinstall them and after to see the difference. You have to figure the combined weight of everything is a couple hundred pounds.

Aeraun

It might be only a slight difference but I notice my JKU sits higher with everything off. Definitely not all in your head. Four doors weigh a decent chunk.

suicideking

I don't know if it's really higher, but I like the way mine handles with a soft top (or no top) vs. the hard top. Feels lighter, more flexible and less like a tank.

JKWrang

My jeep sits higher without my fat ass in it. :yup:

Sent from my phone while I should probably be getting work done

kevinp

You know, I was sorta aware this happened, but never really paid attention, but this is an excellent reason to stick to trail configuration (tube doors and bikini top) when wheeling. That and no Texas pinstripping on the door. Haha

Sincerely,
Kevin

Sent from my GS4 using the WAYALIFE mobile app.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My top and doors are all off I'm going to measure before I reinstall them and after to see the difference. You have to figure the combined weight of everything is a couple hundred pounds.

The top alone is about 130 lbs. about the weight of a small person. Front door with powered windows weigh almost 100 a piece too. The rears are lighter but, with everything off, the weight savings is significant.

I don't know if it's really higher, but I like the way mine handles with a soft top (or no top) vs. the hard top. Feels lighter, more flexible and less like a tank.

It's all about center of gravity and even though the weight of a hard top isn't really all that much, it's all on top of your Jeep.

Top Bottom