EVO: Rock Skins JK Rocker Panel Protection

JK's JK

Banned
Hi Guys,

So I think I'm going to ask a stupid question, so here it goes.

I've seen so many pictures of Jeeps with the EVO Rock Skins JK Rocker Panel Protection and havent understood the purpose of them. If you have the rock sliders then is the purpose for looks? I would understand if you dont have the rock sliders and you take up close to the body type slider then I understand but...............I'm still on the fence about the whole get-up. Dont get me wrong they look nice and understand the functionality if you did not have the sliders. :thinking:

Just a boy playing in rocks and mud,

Jesse

pvanweelden

I would have to say the skins offer more protection, against gravel, smaller rocks
But have been wondering if a plastic abs skin would offer the same protection, if used with the slider?

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Someone had their slider flex into their rocker recently. The skin protected the body from damage. Moreover rocker skins protect from the what ifs, they are also aesthetically pleasing ;)

RedFox

Also, if you end up getting corners, you might end up wanting the rocker panel skins to finish the "look" instead of just having the corners cut off. Some extra protection never hurt anyone

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
Someone had their slider flex into their rocker recently. The skin protected the body from damage. Moreover rocker skins protect from the what ifs, they are also aesthetically pleasing ;)

I have LoD sliders welded to the frame and the rock skins. What he said happened to me. Slid sideways onto a rock, slider did their job but pushed up against the rock skins pretty hard. If they weren't there, there would have been body damage.

pvanweelden

^ thanks for the info, I didn't realize that the sliders would flex that much (assuming 4 door) to hit the rock skins :mad:
I guess I'll add rock skins to my list to do before the sliders

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

FuriousDz

I dont think a set of good sliders would flex into the body.
I think the skins are like someone else mentioned for small rocks and such that kick up into the rocker panel.

Spartan

Sliders like anything will flex if hit hard enough. Good ones will be fine most the time, but if hit hard enough or often enough flexing into the body is something that could happen even with good sliders. That being said I wouldn't say skins are a must, but extra armor is only a bad thing if your stressing about weight.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I think the skins are like someone else mentioned for small rocks and such that kick up into the rocker panel.

I've personally seen the EVO ones flex into the body on a few separate occasions. Are they not a "good set of sliders"?

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
I know this thread is about the EVO skins but I have the Poison Spyder Brawler Rockers and with these "boat side" style sliders they actually attach to the skins. The skins themselves are very similar to EVO's and are used for the same reason's previously mentioned. Just thought I'd add that info in case anyone was wondering...haha

Any sliders will flex into the body! Well pretty much any bolt on slider will flex a bit more often than a weld on set of sliders!

I'm getting the poison spyder skins because I have scratches all over the jeep and also on the b pillar so it will cover all that and I also have my sliders that have flexed into the body under the doors

Spartan

The GenRight rock sliders won't flex into your body... Just another option for those of you looking for sliders...

If your taking about their boat sliders then your right, but then you could say that about most any brand of boat style sliders. The comments about the sliders where referring to non boat style sliders.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think a few of you are misunderstanding what you're seeing. Unlike the old TJ, YJ and CJ before where they essentially had hard rubber hockey puck like body mounts, the JK's come with true isolated body mounts that allow for a considerable amount of movement. This help to absorb things like road noise and provides a significantly more comfortable ride. Having said that, a good set of rocker guards that are bolted or welded to the frame rails don't so much as "flex" into the body but rather, can come into contact with it due to the considerable movement the body mounts allow for. It takes a big hit for this to happen but, the same is true of a big hit to a rear bumper. Sliders that attach to the body alone are nice and worked great on TJ's but, on a JK with it's paper thin sheet metal, I have seen where this can and will lead to buckling of the body. Sliders that attach to the body and frame don't work well either and tend to be noisy due to the fact that body mounts allow for too much movement. Of all the solutions I have tested and seen, frame mounted rocker guards are still the best option and are what I prefer to run.

Spartan

I think a few of you are misunderstanding what you're seeing. Unlike the old TJ, YJ and CJ before where they essentially had hard rubber hockey puck like body mounts, the JK's come with true isolated body mounts that allow for a considerable amount of movement. This help to absorb things like road noise and provides a significantly more comfortable ride. Having said that, a good set of rocker guards that are bolted or welded to the frame rails don't so much as "flex" into the body but rather, can come into contact with it due to the considerable movement the body mounts allow for. It takes a big hit for this to happen but, the same is true of a big hit to a rear bumper. Sliders that attach to the body alone are nice and worked great on TJ's but, on a JK with it's paper thin sheet metal, I have seen where this can and will lead to buckling of the body. Sliders that attach to the body and frame don't work well either and tend to be noisy due to the fact that body mounts allow for too much movement. Of all the solutions I have tested and seen, frame mounted rocker guards are still the best option and are what I prefer to run.

The rocker guards you are talking about are like the EVO and LOD rocker guards right.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The rocker guards you are talking about are like the EVO and LOD rocker guards right.

Correct. EVO, LoD, Shrockworks or any other rocker guard that attaches to the frame will give you the best protection. Or, at least based on my experience.

pvanweelden

, a good set of rocker guards that are bolted or welded to the frame rails don't so much as "flex" into the body but rather, can come into contact with it due to the considerable movement the body mounts allow for. It takes a big hit for this to happen but, the same is true of a big hit to a rear bumper.

Thank you for this ^

Top Bottom