Shock Lenght

Yeahright

This is a bit of a noob question but it is one that I have never been able to figure out,
When measuring a shock where do you measure from, for example, front shock,
Do you measure from the middle of the eye on the bottom to the tip of the post on top OR
From the middle of the eye on the bottom to the top of the tube where the pin is attached to the tube.
AND
On the rear shock do you measure from the middle of the eye to the middle of the eye OR
From the middle of the eye to the top of the shock tube as mentioned with the front shock.
And what would be the average length shock to be used with 3 inch springs.
Now I know there are lots of spring types and not all will be same, but an idea of a shock length that would give good flex.
Any help would be appreciated.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Typically, you measure eye to eye (center of the mount hole to center of the mount hole) or to the base of the mounting stud.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering this too. Also how do you measure a coil spring?

You can't really measure a coil that is off a vehicle and determine how much lift it will provide. The are too many variables like the thickness of the wire used and how many winds it has to do that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This diagram will help you to determine what stock is. Anything above or below that is what you have now.

attachment.php

You can find more stuff like this here:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...stions-Every-Newbie-has-about-the-JK-Wrangler

:yup:

Top Bottom