Ball joint removal issues

mgmavant

So I've been trying to press my lower ball joint out and I can't seem to get it out. The upper one came out with no problem at all and popped right out, but the lower one isn't budging at all. Please take a look at the pictures and please let me know if I'm doing this correctly.

jeep_lower_ball_joint.jpg

Is this right?

Thanks for the help!

mgmavant

So I've been trying to press my lower ball joint out and I can't seem to get it out. The upper one came out with no problem at all and popped right out, but the lower one isn't budging at all. Please take a look at the pictures and please let me know if I'm doing this correctly.

View attachment 51116

Is this right?

Thanks for the help!

Never mind - I just looked again and it looks like I had it wrong. Hope I didn't damage anything....

mgmavant

Well, once on got the press on the correct way it wasn't a problem getting it to pop out. New lower pressed in, but ran out of light to do the upper. I guess I'll tackle the upper tomorrow and then do the other side. Have to find a new speed sensor, too, because I snapped that sucker. Hopefully the dealer has them in stock.

Sent from my MB886 using WAYALIFE mobile app

mgmavant

Thanks! I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow morning and see if they have any in stock. So what happens if I try to drive without the sensor? Will the ABS go all crazy, or will there just be a light on on the dash?

Tcdawg

Thanks! I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow morning and see if they have any in stock. So what happens if I try to drive without the sensor? Will the ABS go all crazy, or will there just be a light on on the dash?

you'll have lights on your dash but the ABS should not go crazy. I broke one on ride and all my dash lights came on but there was no driving issue.

mgmavant

Thanks for the info. The dealer up the road had one in stock and charged $22 for it, so not too bad. He actually was wondering why they were selling them so cheap, but that price seemed in line wth what you could buy them on-line. I was able to drill out the old sensor, but what a pain to get all the pieces out! I decided to not even try to remove the sensor on the other side - I just disconnected the wire and kept it in place. WAY EASIER to do it that way! Lesson learned, I guess. Got everything all put back togehter this afternoon and everything seems to be good. I didn't check out how it handled on the highway, but I'll get a chance to do that tomorrow morning. I'm thinking that my caster might be off a bit - maybe I can add a little in the next couple of days.

mgmavant

I have one(used) but it's yours. Just take care of shipping from UT. Let me know if you want it....

Thanks for the offer! I ended up buying one from the dealer because I wanted to get the job done today, so I no longer need one. :beer:

Top Bottom