Siping?

Jeep_Dawg08

Saw a post earlier this week and someone mentioned sipjng their tires.
So I asked myself what the hell is siping?

Did some research on a cpl of sites and found my answer.

Now to my question..
Does it really benefit the ride, traction, and wear of ur tires. Looking at gett ok ng a new set before winter hits and I might as well do it if its worth it.
I would think cutting into the nubs would cause damage, but then again I'm new to off-roading...
Ty

Saw a post earlier this week and someone mentioned sipjng their tires.
So I asked myself what the hell is siping?

Did some research on a cpl of sites and found my answer.

Now to my question..
Does it really benefit the ride, traction, and wear of ur tires. Looking at gett ok ng a new set before winter hits and I might as well do it if its worth it.
I would think cutting into the nubs would cause damage, but then again I'm new to off-roading...
Ty

I had to look up siping to find out what you are looking for. In my humble opinion if you are buying a new set of tires this would already be done by the manufature. I have done some research myself on my next set of tires and will probably go with the Nitto Trail Grappler or the Toyo Open Country MT because they have the best ride on pavement and handle really well off-road.

I am going to subscribe to this thread to see where it goes.

R/
Will

SDG

Caught the Bug
Does it really benefit the ride: No

traction: Yes in rain and snow/ice, worse on hot dry street conditions

wear:minimal effect

Says you are from southern Indiana, I used to live in Lafayette and honestly we got so little snow that my MT's with 0 siping were fine, ice... well I tried to stay off the road (more because I was scared of other drivers!)

If you lived in northern michigan, or somewhere with snow and ice on the road for a couple months I would look at something like the goodyear duratrack but I think based on where you live you are fine with whatever.

Last edited:

JKWrang

Just my ":twocents:

I had a 2wd rwd Dodge Dakota with BFG MT.... not the KM2. No siping. Just heavy ass lugs and a 5spd manuel.

Does siping help? Sure. But its mostly the driver IMHO. Those BFGs got me up steep hills in 2wd during near blizzard conditions... places no 2wd pickup should have EVER gone... weight in back or not.

So don't stress siping or no siping over much. Dont be a jackass and drive 70mph during a blizzard or a rainstorm and you'll be fine. Go with the tires best suited for your environment.

I do have tires with siping now though. Duratracs. Thats a tire man, let me tell you.

Sent from my phone while I should probably be getting work done

StrizzyChris

So don't stress siping or no siping over much. Dont be a jackass and drive 70mph during a blizzard or a rainstorm and you'll be fine. Go with the tires best suited for your environment.

I do have tires with siping now though. Duratracs. Thats a tire man, let me tell you.

So coming from Ohio where we have a TON of rain and snow...Its absolutely needed. Just as mentioned above, duratracs are a great tire for that climate. In SoCal I could run with slicks and be just fine. But sipping is the lines INSIDE a tread taht allows for water to flow out from under the tread itself when the tread makes contact with the road, thus preventing hydroplaning(spelling?) If your climate is rainy or snow, then I would look for tires with a lot of sipping. If your in a dry climate its much less important. below is a pic I stole from the interwebs

Tire%20Siping%20copy.jpg

Jeep_Dawg08

Well my plans arefor nitto trails.. but discount says they can do sipping before I mount them. Think it was $10 a tire or was it $40... lol anyways
As the folks last yrs JKX found out, Indiana weather is anything but predictable. Rain rain rain.
One day this winter I had the doors off, right before Xmas, cpl days later I was pulling ppl out of ditches from the snow.
Popular saying in these parts, " if ya don't like the weather around here wait an hour" ok, slightly exaggerated but ya gey the point.
We have all types of climate here...

JKWrang

I lI've in MA and we aren't strangers to the snow and rain by any stretch. Like I mentioned above siping is a great feature but you can survive without if you have to of you drive cautiously.

Sent from my phone while I should probably be getting work done

GimmePaw

siping provides lots of little "biting edges" that help traction in slick conditions... like gecko's feet.
download.jpg

CerOf

Siping was great in a set of BFG a/t ko's I had on my old ZJ. Helped immensely in snow, ice, and rain.

It was awful off-road as they chunked more than normal.

ONLY sipe the center lugs or the chunking is worse. Discount tire accidentally siped outside lugs in two of then. They were very good about replacing them though.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

Skid_Kid

I am originally from Maine. I have never heard of this now done it. I always ran BFG's up there. Great for plowing. My
Next set of tires will be Nitto Trail Grapplers.

Sent from my PRC-119

ttfhell

I am originally from Maine. I have never heard of this now done it. I always ran BFG's up there. Great for plowing. My
Next set of tires will be Nitto Trail Grapplers.

Sent from my PRC-119

"My Build Thread" Don't even think about it.

Top Bottom