Rattling Sound

Dannyboy76

I have a 2008 JKU 4 door. The other day while parking I hear a very quick rattle sound come from under neither my jeep. Not knowing that it was. I decided to drive around the block and see if I heard it again. Well I heard it again while I was going about 10-15 mph. The sound might last only a second. So I am wondering if any of you have experience this before? If so what was the issue? Before I take it to my mechanic I would like to know what the theory of the issue might be, so to say? I am hoping that some of you can help.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Possibly a heat shield on the exhaust system

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is it more of a tinny buzzing or more of a lower knocking sound? Could be an exhaust shield but, they tend to rattle most on start up and when things are still cold and then go away once things heat up.

mikefishes

Is it more of a tinny buzzing or more of a lower knocking sound? Could be an exhaust shield but, they tend to rattle most on start up and when things are still cold and then go away once things heat up.

I have a 2008 JKU 4 door. The other day while parking I hear a very quick rattle sound come from under neither my jeep. Not knowing that it was. I decided to drive around the block and see if I heard it again. Well I heard it again while I was going about 10-15 mph. The sound might last only a second. So I am wondering if any of you have experience this before? If so what was the issue? Before I take it to my mechanic I would like to know what the theory of the issue might be, so to say? I am hoping that some of you can help.

I have a similar rattle that sounds like pebbles in a heat shield or inside the exhaust. I usually hear it from start til 10 MPH. I'll also occasionally hear it when pulling to accelerate in too high a gear.

What is weird is that it won't do it in neutral when I rev the motor. Any ideas are appreciated.

Not trying to highjack, just hoping one of us will figure it out and help the other. Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a similar rattle that sounds like pebbles in a heat shield or inside the exhaust. I usually hear it from start til 10 MPH. I'll also occasionally hear it when pulling to accelerate in too high a gear.

What is weird is that it won't do it in neutral when I rev the motor. Any ideas are appreciated.

Not trying to highjack, just hoping one of us will figure it out and help the other. Thanks

Well, have you checked the spot welds on your exhaust cross over heat shield? It's pretty common for them to break. You can fix it with a hose clamp or two.

mikefishes

Well, have you checked the spot welds on your exhaust cross over heat shield? It's pretty common for them to break. You can fix it with a hose clamp or two.

I haven't...but I will! That would make sense as my initial impression was that it was stones on top of a heat shield. I never considered the shield itself vibrating.

Thank you

kRay.JK

I had this same issue a few months ago. The heat shield on the crossover pipe for the exhaust breaks it's welds and rattles.

I purchased a few pipe-clamps from Lowes and fixed the issue one afternoon. It's not perminent and it wont cost a lot so you can always change it later if need be.

Be sure to cut the extra off the end or they'll attract random debris. You can see I still have extra ribbon left on mine in the photo - I cut these of and made them as short as possible after realizing they are crap magnets. It's been several months and I am still rattle free.

jB4Ma0fl.png

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Clicky da linky

Not to be a wet blanket but, if you can take the time to find a post you made months ago on another forum, would it be too much to ask to have you spend a few seconds more and just post up the pic here? It would be much appreciated.

Rccrwlr

Not to be a wet blanket but, if you can take the time to find a post you made months ago on another forum, would it be too much to ask to have you spend a few seconds more and just post up the pic here? It would be much appreciated.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380724004.971087.jpg

Pictures worth a 10000000 words. Or something like that

1979 Jeep CJ5 - rccrwlr
2008 Jeep JKUR - pheartmtngot

kRay.JK

Yeah, sure. No problemo! It's my build thread so I have it bookmarked and memorized :crazyeyes:

Edit: Looks like Rccrwlr beat me to it.

Dannyboy76

Thanks for everyone help. I feel a little bit better now. I was thinking that it was the heat shield but I wasn’t certain. I was talking to someone else about this and they said it is 100% the catalytic converter. They were saying (which I knew already) that sometime pieces break off inside of it. But from what I know if that was true the sound I am hearing would go on for a longer period of time.

Side note, I have had over the last couple of month some extremely bad experience with a mechanic that a lot of family recommend. Needless to say, I had to go back to my original mechanic and get things fixed that the first one stated he fixed, but never did after saying he did and after a very intense conversation. I went make to my original mechanic to get things properly done. So I like to read and question as many questions as possible about anything about my jeep

mikefishes

I had this same issue a few months ago. The heat shield on the crossover pipe for the exhaust breaks it's welds and rattles.

I purchased a few pipe-clamps from Lowes and fixed the issue one afternoon. It's not perminent and it wont cost a lot so you can always change it later if need be.

Be sure to cut the extra off the end or they'll attract random debris. You can see I still have extra ribbon left on mine in the photo - I cut these of and made them as short as possible after realizing they are crap magnets. It's been several months and I am still rattle free.

jB4Ma0fl.png

Danny, Eddy, Kray,

Thanks to all of you for the post and then the advice. $2.17 worth of hose clamps and 3 minutes of elbow grease have fixed a problem that was driving me bonkers! That's why I hang around here. The WAL peeps are the best!

:rock: Mike

Top Bottom