Let's talk about paint options

Md_rubi

I'm looking to paint my jk a flat or satin color but I'm told it's not a good idea for trail rigs getting scratch. So I want to ask for pros, con, and feed back on each type of paint/ cover for exterior for tail rigs.

Flat paint - I'm told if the paint gets scratched, it's very difficult to remove the scratch and some body shops will not do it.
Bed liner - I personally do not like textured paint. Not easy to repair bit I guess this would all depend on which product you choose. Gaytorhyde is not easy to repair.
Final wraps - I have not found any feedback on durability on the trail. I know these are all the rage now and they are fraction of the weight of conventional paints.

Thanks

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Last edited:

Mitrig

Hey guy I know this isn't a full paint job but not sure if anyone has done this before. What I did was got the colour to match my rig since my hard top was beige. What I did was prep it for paint except I bed lined it first followed by a light second the lighter 3rd layer to give it a nice texture. What I did next was spray on my colour matched paint 3 coats then clear coated it all. It gave me a nice texture across my hard top and made the rig stand out more since it wasn't a flat green coloured top. Scratch resistant wise it is amazing. The thing can take a beating like mad an nothing shows up. The shop I used to paint it said they never seen I done that way before but hell it worked and I've been running it for a while now mind that it's only been a few months but it makes it easy to touch up since it's all textured all you do is find the scratch and dap in colour no worries about the scratch showin up becuase it digs in.

I have honestly been looking at doing a vinyl wrap for the JK. It will cost as much as new paint but will last longer and I think hold up better on the trail.

JAGS

Hooked
Final wraps - I have not found any feedback on durability on the trail. I know these are all the rage now and they are fraction of the weight of conventional paints.

Thanks
Cost and durability will depend in part on the vinyl selected. As with paints, there are different quality (thickness) vinyls out there. As for protection, vinyl may prevent/hide (with a good design) pin striping and minor scratches, but won't prevent much in way or dings or dents.

Guy at work was talking about this stuff the other day, said if I buy the supplies hell spray my jeep.

Paint wrap
http://www.alsacorp.com/paint_wrap/paint_wrap.html

This seems like a competitor product to plasti-dip?

Md_rubi

Any of you have plasti-dip or vinyl wrap on your jeep and wheel hard? I don't mid the dents and scratched, it's going to happen wheeling in the mid Atlantic area. What I'm concern about is the repeated cost in replacing the wrap/dip With traditional automotive paint one can buff out minor scratches but I'm told with flat paint you can't

Any of you have plasti-dip or vinyl wrap on your jeep and wheel hard? I don't mid the dents and scratched, it's going to happen wheeling in the mid Atlantic area. What I'm concern about is the repeated cost in replacing the wrap/dip With traditional automotive paint one can buff out minor scratches but I'm told with flat paint you can't

Alright so I have a flat black jeep and yes you have to be careful. Behind my door handles are scratched pretty good from previous owner (guess he wore rings or left keys in hand when opening) and if you get paint chips then you see the previous paint underneath. Also have to be careful with what you use to wash your jeep. Any abrasive material will definitely leave some kind of marks. I could kill my wife for using dryer sheets on my hood to get bugs off. Now my hood kind of has swirls but I'm going to sand it primer it and respect it myself.

That's the plus side to it. If your good with a sprayer or rattle can you can touch it up yourself and still make it look good. Just use quality paint. The reason they scratch so easy is because there is no clear coat

With all that said I would change mine a but. Definitely stands out and looks badass. I think of my jeep as a true blackops jeep. Lol.

However I do love the billet silver color and want to redo mine in that color but satin. Keep all my trim peices black or course with black rims. I think it's going to look amazing.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Pretty sweet! I use to sell some of there products a few years ago when I was in the automotive industry. It is a lot of money for something that is not permanent, but also allows you to change it up more. Dupont had an single stage ureathane called Hot Rod Black. It was a semi gloss and durable. Might be an option for you as well. The best option IMHO would be a base coat clear coat. Pretty much the same type of paint job on your JK.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
There are plenty of people that plastidipped their Jeeps. One guy I know is on his 5th color change. Vynil sucks for jeeps because it's easily damaged and not easily repaired....not to mention, expensive. Plastidip can be touched up with ease and is relatively cheap, and easy to apply (even by yourself.) Colors are also endless. I plastidipped my s2000, and loved it. Looked cool, paint was left flawless, etc. Plastidip is a godsend for jeeps. Keeps things waterproof, easily removed, easily touched up, not easily scratched, bug proof, pinstripe proof, rockchip proof, etc.

LyMjJ.jpg

20130330_162147_HDR_zps1b46178a.jpg

Would be a cool color on a jeep

46221d1364883392-official-plasti-dip-random-chat-image.jpg

Blueberry-1.jpg

And the best part of all.....
how-to-remove-plasti-dip-from-your-car-video-57111_1.png

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Not 100% sure. It's either a custom shade or one of the camo colors. Buy from Dipyourcar.com

If you plan on doing the whole jeep you will have better results if you use the pro kit.

HDGasser

Not 100% sure. It's either a custom shade or one of the camo colors. Buy from Dipyourcar.com

If you plan on doing the whole jeep you will have better results if you use the pro kit.

They won't ship gallons to California... God everyday I hate this state more n more.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
If you can order to a friends house across the state line you can do it that way. Spraying it is generally very easy (a kid can do it) but it's the prep that matters. Gotta mask everything off properly so that you get clean lines and tough edges. I'd recommend you watch all their how to videos to familiarize yourself with the process. Since it's your first time doing it, order an extra gallon.

Md_rubi

Alright so I have a flat black jeep and yes you have to be careful. Behind my door handles are scratched pretty good from previous owner (guess he wore rings or left keys in hand when opening) and if you get paint chips then you see the previous paint underneath. Also have to be careful with what you use to wash your jeep. Any abrasive material will definitely leave some kind of marks. I could kill my wife for using dryer sheets on my hood to get bugs off. Now my hood kind of has swirls but I'm going to sand it primer it and respect it myself.

That's the plus side to it. If your good with a sprayer or rattle can you can touch it up yourself and still make it look good. Just use quality paint. The reason they scratch so easy is because there is no clear coat

With all that said I would change mine a but. Definitely stands out and looks badass. I think of my jeep as a true blackops jeep. Lol.

However I do love the billet silver color and want to redo mine in that color but satin. Keep all my trim peices black or course with black rims. I think it's going to look amazing.

This is interesting. I have been talking to body shops and they told me I can get flat color one or two ways. Either incorporate flat pigments in the paint and or apply flat clear. I am told its the clear that truly give the flat in the paint

Top Bottom