Rock Krawler with Kings

JKU EXTREME

I have been looking up suspension systems, and I kind of like the Rock Krawler 3.5 X Factor Mid Arm with 2.5 Piggy Back King Shocks. What I am wondering is, does anyone have experience with either one of these items? I read that the Rock Krawler shocks feel amazing on the road and are outstanding offroad, and King... well I know I can't go wrong, but I would still love feedback.
Thanks
-:John: JKU EXTREME

2007 JKU

Banned
Valving as expected is the key to any shock performance..I went with RK's as I know they will be valved correctly for MY JK as I can talk to the shock builder directly. Plus easily revalved or rebuilt.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have been looking up suspension systems, and I kind of like the Rock Krawler 3.5 X Factor Mid Arm with 2.5 Piggy Back King Shocks. What I am wondering is, does anyone have experience with either one of these items? I read that the Rock Krawler shocks feel amazing on the road and are outstanding offroad, and King... well I know I can't go wrong, but I would still love feedback.
Thanks
-:John: JKU EXTREME

Ride quality is 100% subjective and most people will swear by whatever it is they've chosen to spend their money on. Having said that, most of what you feel comes from the coils and the shocks just dampen/smooth things out. If you can, I might try to find someone in your area who has the RK kit you're wanting in question and go for a ride and start there.

Spartan

If you can, I might try to find someone in your area who has the RK kit you're wanting in question and go for a ride and start there.

This is great advice. Most Jeepers would be happy talk with you about their Jeeps and tell you why they picked the setup they picked.

Another good idea is to check out companies that are based close to where you like to run trails at. I'm a western US guy, so like parts made by companies they test their stuff in Moab, on the Rubicon, and on other trails in the western US.

Plenty of non Western US companies make good stuff. I just chooses to buy from places close to me, because I feel they make the best stuff for the kind of trails I like to run.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Most Jeepers would be happy talk with you about their Jeeps and tell you why they picked the setup they picked.

Unfortunately, that's something I typically find to be a problem. Most people buy what they buy based on what their friends tell them to buy or what a sales rep convinces them to buy and, I find that most people will swear by what they buy if only because they've chose to spend their hard earned money on it. After all, you'd have to be a moron to spend money on something that was subpar, right? This is why I recommend that you "just" go for a ride so that you can determine what "you" like and don't like. The only other way to know is to test out a myriad of kits and unless you're a guy like me, that's not easy for most people to do.

Another good idea is to check out companies that are based close to where you like to run trails at. I'm a western US guy, so like parts made by companies they test their stuff in Moab, on the Rubicon, and on other trails in the western US.

Plenty of non Western US companies make good stuff. I just chooses to buy from places close to me, because I feel they make the best stuff for the kind of trails I like to run.

Personally, I think that most companies try their hardest to make kits that will work well on any terrain rather than region specific. In this case, RK is an east coast company but, there are plenty of guys who still run their stuff out west and are happy with it. Likewise, a company like EVO is a west coast company but, lots of folks run their stuff back east and with good results too. But, that's just my opinion.

JKU EXTREME

Ride quality is 100% subjective and most people will swear by whatever it is they've chosen to spend their money on. Having said that, most of what you feel comes from the coils and the shocks just dampen/smooth things out. If you can, I might try to find someone in your area who has the RK kit you're wanting in question and go for a ride and start there.

Sadly I don't think that is really an option for me, based on where I live, but if I happen to see someone with the kit of shocks, I will definitely give it a try

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sadly I don't think that is really an option for me, based on where I live, but if I happen to see someone with the kit of shocks, I will definitely give it a try

Is there a reason why you want this kit? Just like the brand or is there something more specific you're wanting out of it? What kind of use will your Jeep be seeing?

JKU EXTREME

Is there a reason why you want this kit? Just like the brand or is there something more specific you're wanting out of it? What kind of use will your Jeep be seeing?

Nothing specific, I was wanting a 3.5-4" lift kit so that I can run around 35" tires and possibly 37's, I will be going off to college in a few months and were I'm going has some trails around it (San Antonio) I do like that some of the parts can be replaced for free... But I was also interest in running King shocks
And I was looking to spend under 4 grand, and the 3.5rk with 2.5King smoothies would be in that price range

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing specific, I was wanting a 3.5-4" lift kit so that I can run around 35" tires and possibly 37's, I will be going off to college in a few months and were I'm going has some trails around it (San Antonio) I do like that some of the parts can be replaced for free... But I was also interest in running King shocks
And I was looking to spend under 4 grand, and the 3.5rk with 2.5King smoothies would be in that price range

Well, if you're planning on running 35's with the possibility of running 37's in the future, I personally would recommend a lift closer to 3"-3.5" tops. Running 37's right will require a lot more than just a lift kit to accommodate them and, being that you're off to college, I might take some time to save up a bit for them. You can always use what you have and add taller springs at a later date. As far as shocks go, I love Kings and I'm sure it's reasonable to believe that the RK shocks will do the job as well but it sounds to me like you're wanting to spend a lot of money on what you think is cool more than what will provide a good ride. I personally would recommend that you give a set of Rancho 7000MT's or Bilstein 5100's a look as they are a lot cheaper and will provide good dampening as well. Of course, that is unless you plan on driving hard and fast through the desert and for long distances as that's where something like Kings really shine. Just trying to help you think smart and save you some money.

seanb123

I'd look more into the height people get with rk lifts I have the 2.5 and I've netted more than 2.5 I could probably stuff 37 under with flats but I am a 2 dr so a little less weight. Rk is known for netting more lift. Just saying this because getting say 4.5 or 4 for 35s is a little much hers a pic to give you what 2.5 on 35s would be around

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380827952.181478.jpg

JKU EXTREME

Well, if you're planning on running 35's with the possibility of running 37's in the future, I personally would recommend a lift closer to 3"-3.5" tops. Running 37's right will require a lot more than just a lift kit to accommodate them and, being that you're off to college, I might take some time to save up a bit for them.

I was planning on installing a Dana 44 or possibly a Dana 60 and all the things in between before adding 37s

You can always use what you have and add taller springs at a later date. As far as shocks go, I love Kings and I'm sure it's reasonable to believe that the RK shocks will do the job as well but it sounds to me like you're wanting to spend a lot of money on what you think is cool more than what will provide a good ride. I personally would recommend that you give a set of Rancho 7000MT's or Bilstein 5100's a look as they are a lot cheaper and will provide good dampening as well. Of course, that is unless you plan on driving hard and fast through the desert and for long distances as that's where something like Kings really shine. Just trying to help you think smart and save you some money.

Also how would the king 2.0 air bump shocks be or even the Bilstein 5160's?

silverbackjk

I have a RK 3.5 in and fox shocks. I would just get the RK control arms and not the coils and go with the evo plush. I have ridden in a jeep with them and they are wy better. The problem with the RK coils they are progressive so if your jeep is heavy or you load it up you are only riding on the stiff part of the springs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Also how would the king 2.0 air bump shocks be or even the Bilstein 5160's?

Air bumps are installed to replace your factory bump stops and Bilstein 5160's are just reservoir versions of their 5100's. Do you do a lot of hard and fast driving in the desert? If so, the addition of air bumps or reservoir shocks would help. If not, you'll be paying for things that you will never use. Again, just trying to put things into perspective and save you money if I can.

I have a RK 3.5 in and fox shocks. I would just get the RK control arms and not the coils and go with the evo plush. I have ridden in a jeep with them and they are wy better. The problem with the RK coils they are progressive so if your jeep is heavy or you load it up you are only riding on the stiff part of the springs.

I'm with you, I'm no fan of their coils and for the reasons you stated. Of course, some will swear by it. This is the reason why I say that ride quality is 100% subjective.

silverbackjk

Air bumps are installed to replace your factory bump stops and Bilstein 5160's are just reservoir versions of their 5100's. Do you do a lot of hard and fast driving in the desert? If so, the addition of air bumps or reservoir shocks would help. If not, you'll be paying for things that you will never use. Again, just trying to put things into perspective and save you money if I can.

I'm with you, I'm no fan of their coils and for the reasons you stated. Of course, some will swear by it. This is the reason why I say that ride quality is 100% subjective.

I would not have gone this route if i did my home work better it is my first jeep. We all lean thought our mistakes. with my jeep with evo front bumper roll roll cage skins sliders rear skins and tire carrier and steal bumper. with just all that on the jeep i am almost in to the firm part of the coils when i add gear the wife kid and dog i am riding on only the firm part and it is really rough. Since i have a simmilar setup that he is looking for i am try to save him some :twocents: on a mistake i made. My Evo plush rides should be going on next month when work slows down and my back will thank me. :cheesy:

JKU EXTREME

I do not do any fast desert driving, but I always knew the 5100s were good, I guess it's meant to be
Thanks for your advice

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I do not do any fast desert driving, but I always knew the 5100s were good, I guess it's meant to be
Thanks for your advice

The 5100's are a great shock! They make the stiffer ride of the teraflex coils smoother. Great shock and I will buy them again in a heart beat

Sent from my iPhone

Im running the 3.5" rk flex system as reccomended by rk. Its not top of the line as far as rk goes but for daily driving, and trails on weekends, it works well. Its paired up with bilstein 5100's and 35" toyo open country mt's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380852289983.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380852289983.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 90
Top Bottom