Teraflex?

Raven Moon

So I have to ask is the Terraflex products a good line of products? Some look better than others but I am still very new to this. A little input on the products would be nice

Thanks
Raven

Sharkey

Word Ninja
What are you looking at? In my opinion, their springs are stiff as hell and there are better options out there for shocks. Their "new" tire carrier has some design flaws which could prove to be dangerous.

Never really looked much at their bumpers but I always did think their third seat kit looked pretty cool.

So, if you are looking for a third seat I say TeraFlex all the way. Anything else you might want to do some homework.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
What are you looking at? In my opinion, their springs are stiff as hell and there are better options out there for shocks. Their "new" tire carrier has some design flaws which could prove to be dangerous.

Never really looked much at their bumpers but I always did think their third seat kit looked pretty cool.

So, if you are looking for a third seat I say TeraFlex all the way. Anything else you might want to do some homework.

Not to mention broken long arm suspension frame side mounts, which I personally experienced. And broken "Monster" front track bars, which happened more than once to me.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Lol. Well there is that...but I still haven't heard about a single broken third seat bracket.

As mentioned in several other threads, there will be personal opinions about every life manufacture. Best advice given was to find a couple of local guys with various lifts and see if they will take you for a ride. This will give you the best idea of what you might like. I personally did not do enough research prior to getting my first lift and now looking to upgrade. I have the Pro-Comp 2.5 in lift with coils and springs, about $520 for just parts. It rides great and was what I was looking for at the time. Had I known there were more options available I would have waited. Now I am saving for EVO long arm upgrade and eventually going to get EVO King Coilovers.

R/
Will

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have their 2.5" coil lift and I bought some Bilstein 5100 shocks to accommodate the lift. The coils seem like they are stiff but with the Bilsteins it smooths it out a bit. I don't mind a stiffer ride so it doesnt bother me but I know I bothers a lot of other folks.

Not saying it's the best lift ever but it's good and will get the job done.

Sent from my iPhone

GCM 2

Weekend warrior....

I had there 3" short arm lift, bumpers and sliders for a while. Like most people that will comment on their springs, I find them way too stiff and provide a really harsh ride. As for their bumpers and sliders, I really think they are pretty good looking and will suit most people's needs. I had zero issues with their mid-width front bumper, had it been offered in a stinger version, I might still be running it because its pretty cool looking. Their original rear bumper with swing away tire carrier could have been built a little more robust, I believe they have since improved its design because the piece rattled and squeaked horrendously. Their sliders leave me with mixed emotions; really great concept, functionally they would seem to be the answer for great protection, but since they are aluminum they can't handle they weight of a heavy JK hitting rocks and will show non-repairable abuse even with light use. If you start to hit hard trails that really test their strength, you can run the risk sliders transferring the impact through to the body, sills, b-pillars, etc.

Teraflex is not bad, but it is pricey stuff and I feel for what you are paying the quality could be a little better.

gig3m

I've found Wayalife to be a pretty hostile place to Teraflex. Some of the concern is warranted and some of it seems to just be guys with a hard on for them. Wayalife also has a strong relationship with ORE and you see that reflected here. ORE makes some great products too, and considering how close the WL and ORE brands work together it's to be expected.

Sharkey mentioned the HD Tire Carrier above which initially had a serious design flaw. The carrier had (AFAIK) one failure and all hell broke loose. (Rightfully so considering how much damage a loose tire bouncing down a highway or hill can cause.) That being said, Teraflex altered the design, albeit quietly, and I haven't heard of any more problems.

TF is very proud of their product, but only slightly more so than every other bolt on kit maker. There are a lot of great brands out there and you should by no means just look at one. The TF products that I have used have been well built and I've not had any problems with them.

Source: I have the 4" TF 8-arm lift, TF HD Hinged Carrier & Accessory Mount, Monster Trackbar, Rear trackbar relocation bracket.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I run the same lift as coz does and while it does ride a little stiff its not bad. I do want to change out the coils however to something a little softer. I do like their products but some just boggle my mind like the beeping rollover gauge thing they sell.

GCM 2

I've found Wayalife to be a pretty hostile place to Teraflex. Some of the concern is warranted and some of it seems to just be guys with a hard on for them. Wayalife also has a strong relationship with ORE and you see that reflected here. ORE makes some great products too, and considering how close the WL and ORE brands work together it's to be expected.

Sharkey mentioned the HD Tire Carrier above which initially had a serious design flaw. The carrier had (AFAIK) one failure and all hell broke loose. (Rightfully so considering how much damage a loose tire bouncing down a highway or hill can cause.) That being said, Teraflex altered the design, albeit quietly, and I haven't heard of any more problems.

TF is very proud of their product, but only slightly more so than every other bolt on kit maker. There are a lot of great brands out there and you should by no means just look at one. The TF products that I have used have been well built and I've not had any problems with them.

Source: I have the 4" TF 8-arm lift, TF HD Hinged Carrier & Accessory Mount, Monster Trackbar, Rear trackbar relocation bracket.

So honesty is not a quality you value? I have owned the following mfg's lifts on a variety of vehicles from CJ's, J-20, Ford Super Dutys, TJ's, Suzuki Samuris, FJ 40, Land Rover Defender II and LR3, Chevy C-10, Ford F100; Teraflex, Poison Spyder, Rancho, Superlift, Old Man Emu, FabTech, Currie, EVO, homemade crap, and a couple more that I don't even think are in business anymore. The point being is that all lifts deliver a certain level of performance and have a certain level of expected quality for the price point you pay. Each mfg's lift is not inherently designed to be "bad", but each mfg's lift does come with some shared traits throughout their line of equipment. There is nothing wrong with Teraflex for the majority of the people who own a jeep. These same people do not put their equipment through the same abuse that many of us do here on a regular basis, and therefore Teraflex does not meet (anymore) my needs for reliability and daily driver long distance comfort. I have since paid for the top of the line, most dependable, bomb proof equipment that has been developed for a JK, and it cost me a small fortune and not everyone is willing to commit that sum of money to there rig .....and it's completely understandable.

I think making an assumption, what you should have written is that Wayalife forum members are hostile to unreliable parts that fail. If EVO parts failed, I would move on to the next mfg who's stuff is better and I would post up my positive and negative comments about EVO mfg if someone wanted info about some item from them I have experience with. Which brings to mind this thought, if the forum member is simply regurgitating something he heard, then sure, ask him to provide facts. I am simply giving you facts from the Teraflex kit I have run in the past. :thumb:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

LOL!! I've found fanboys to be pretty hostile toward WAYALIFE. Some of the concern is warranted but most of it is just guys with a hard on for this forum. Fanboys have a love for the products they choose to run and feel the need to defend it/try to discredit anyone else that would say anything negative about them and you can see that reflected in how they choose to make their 2nd post on the forum. TeraFlex makes some great products but, considering how it's the only ones a fanboy like you run, I suppose it's to be expected.

First off, there had been a lot more than just one failure and hell only broke loose because fanboys like you didn't like the fact that I was telling people the truth. As you can clearly see in the thread I had started, the only thing I did was share what I had seen and caution people with this tire carrier to keep an eye on it - that's it.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...Carrier-Break&highlight=teraflex+tire+carrier

What really cracks me up is that this super beefy tire carrier broke on the first dirt road it ran. EVO ran a 37" Nitto Trail Grappler mounted on a heavy ATX Slab on the factory tire carrier without any alterations, all week during the JKX and had ZERO problems. Of course, if you just spent $700 on a tire carrier you don't need, I can understand how a fanboy like you would feel the need to make excuses for it/defend it.

gig3m is very proud of his TF products but only slightly more so than every other guy out there. There are a lot of great brands out there and if you took the time to install and test a few, you would know that what you have is just okay. The TF products that I have personally installed and used have all been made just okay and the biggest problem I've had is with their bushings always blowing out. I have personally installed a set of their rocker guards on a friends JK and he managed to trash them the first day out. Talking to TF about it, they said that he doesn't know how to wheel. I have personally seen their tire carrier break on the first trip out on dirt, I have personally seen their track bars break and I have even seen their long arm mounts break and I have no reason to make any of this stuff up.

Proof: You are a fanboy with a bone to pick.

1yellowjk

Eddie, do you have the means or contact to do a side-by-side comparison of different high demand products?

I would love some of the fans boys on both sides to "put up or shut up". I would ASSuME you have friends in some of the companies and like it or not, your opinion has a lot of buying influence on JK products, so I would imagine if a company really believed in their product they would give up one for testing.

I would love to see a "REAL" test of say 4 bolt-on kits under $1500 and how they compare on a real rig. Same thing for winches and lights...i think you know what I mean.

When I raced cars it was the same thing, guys would scream to high heaven that their parts were better; but all that ended when we hit the track.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For people who are new to the world of JK's and who may not know me, I have been working on JK's since 2006. The ones I still own have not always been built up as much as they are now and in spite of what some would suggest, I have not always run as many EVO products as I do now. What I run today is a result of wanting the best products money can buy on my Jeeps, period. If TeraFlex made them, I guarantee you, they would still be on my Jeeps. Oh yes, I have installed and tested a myriad of their products and believe it or not, still have one or two. In fact, here are just a handful of write-ups that I wrote about the TeraFlex products I've installed over the years:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...er-25-budget-boost-lift-installation-write-up
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/teraflex-sway-bar-link-quick-disconnects-installation
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...uty-steering-stabilizer-installation-write-up
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...rangler-4-flex-arm-lift-installation-write-up
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/teraflex-jeep-jk-wrangler-speed-bumps-installation-write-up
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...wrangler-rear-track-bar-installation-write-up
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/teraflex-jeep-jk-wrangler-elka-suspension-reservoir-shocks

I'm sure I have more and will post them up if I come across them. Please note how hostile I am toward them in every article :rolleyes2:

Fact of the matter is, I've learned a lot over the years and have moved on to what I think are better products and based on what I've learned through experience. I can only share what I know and give you my honest assessment of what I have seen. For all I care, you can take it or leave it. Just because you don't like what I have to say doesn't mean I'm being "hostile" toward a company or being influenced by another. Of course, if it helps you to sleep better at night, you can believe whatever it is you want to believe.

TheDuff

TF stuff is being made in china? What makes it better than shittybuilt? Because its some of the most expensive stuff to come out of china??? I have a tf lift, the springs disappointed me. Real bad sag in the front, even after adding 1" pucks to the front and no i have no winch yet, there is noticeable rake. I'll be buying american made going forward. If tf products are good enough for you, fine, enjoy them. But don't get a pissy like a little girl when someone shares their experience with their products.... Especially when there are plenty of pictures around proving the failures.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, do you have the means or contact to do a side-by-side comparison of different high demand products?

I do have a lot of contacts and while some would be more than happy to do a side-by-side comparison, I know most everyone else wouldn't. It would cost way more money to do than it would be worth or at least to me personally. Again, I've had the fortune of installing and testing out a lot of products over the years and run what I do now because it simply is the best money can buy INCLUDING things like factory skid plates.

I would love some of the fans boys on both sides to "put up or shut up". I would ASSuME you have friends in some of the companies and like it or not, your opinion has a lot of buying influence on JK products, so I would imagine if a company really believed in their product they would give up one for testing.

You would think that but, they know what they're up against. Clearly, some would jump at the opportunity and the others would just accuse me of being biased and attack my findings. And sadly enough, their fanboys would eat it up - need proof, see posts above. :rolleyes2:

I would love to see a "REAL" test of say 4 bolt-on kits under $1500 and how they compare on a real rig. Same thing for winches and lights...i think you know what I mean.

You mean like this?
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...rangler-3-ultimate-lift-installation-write-up
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...ck-jock-suspension-lift-installation-write-up
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...er-long-travel-lift-kit-installation-write-up
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...rangler-4-flex-arm-lift-installation-write-up

I've also installed Rough County kits, Clayton kits, Rubicon Express, etc. I don't have write-ups for all of them but, I know I have photos and can tell you what I got out of them. As far as winches goes, I've run WARN, Mile Marker and T-Max but, prefer to stick with WARN as they have always proven themselves.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I have to ask is the Terraflex products a good line of products? Some look better than others but I am still very new to this. A little input on the products would be nice

Thanks
Raven

Getting back on topic, there are some product that TF makes that are worth the while. Of the things I have tested, I would definitely recommend their 2.5" budget boost coil spacer kit. It's relatively affordable and comes pretty complete. Their mud flap kit works well, their steering stabilizer is just like anything else out there and cheap, their brake lines and sway bar discos are fine and so are their front bumpers. Based on personal experience and what I have physically seen, I would NOT recommend their front track bars (seen way too many break), their rocker guards (seen these get destroyed on just one trip), their tire carrier (even if they have fixed their breaking problem, they cost way too much for something you don't need), their control arms (bushings blow out all the time), their shocks (just basic hydros and don't give you any performance gains), long arm kits (brackets fail) or their springs (way too stiff).

I hope that helps.

Spartan

I have beat then crap out of a TF 2.5 BB with shock extensions and stock Rubicon shocks with no problems, and for the longest times wanted to get one of their long arms, but after doing tons of research on lifts, talking to people, and run trails with people running lots of different lifts I plan on going with a different brand of lift. I still think they have a great 2.5BB, and never had and problems with their rear D44 diff cover, but I think their are better short/long arm kits out their.

mikegronholz

Post after the morning coffee guys !!! I too have run many many brands ... on many many Jeep iterations. TJs, XJs, multiple JKs ... Teraflex, RE, AEV, Currie, JKS, TNT Customs, DPG Offroad, Rancho, PSC, ORE, Synergy ... none are perfect, none are without issue.

Run what you brung. If you break it, fix it. My build this go around is mostly Teraflex (cuz I like aluminum). Why, a long history with the guys there. I wanted to see what I could build if I bought everything one vendor offered. I knew there would be limitations going in, but was prepared for the challenge and the fun. If you piss on the Jeep, it pisses back. Enjoy the ride man.

So, in my current build, I have outgrown a spring/shock setup and will be going to coilovers. Tera doesn't offer that. Oh well. All the negatives said about Tera, they are good guys, with good intentions and good designs. Call them, they will talk to you for hours. Some companies will try to rush you off the phone (my personal experience with ORE ... "just send it back then" when I really wanted to let them know that Jeep made changes in 2013.5 and I wanted to HELP them). Some guys are very quick to assume we are all ignorant ... I assure you, Tera specifically is not that group of guys.

If you think I'm a Tera pimp or whatever, believe as you may. I like my Tera products and have invested a lot ... but I am not beyond complaining if it is warranted (my 4" fronts sit almost 1.75" lower than my 4" rears). I like my PSC parts (epic fail on my rear fenders, but they fixed it), I like my ORE parts too after I had to make corrections for the 2013.5 changes, I like my OR-FAB parts too, and my JKS parts, and my Walkers and my Synergy, etc, etc. Of course, everythnig I bought is the baddest there is, or I wouldnt have bought it ... duh !!! :bleh:

If you need a good 3-4" lift, Tera is a good choice at a decent price.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have beat then crap out of a TF 2.5 BB with shock extensions and stock Rubicon shocks with no problems, and for the longest times wanted to get one of their long arms, but after doing tons of research on lifts, talking to people, and run trails with people running lots of different lifts I plan on going with a different brand of lift. I still think they have a great 2.5BB, and never had and problems with their rear D44 diff cover, but I think their are better short/long arm kits out their.

The TF 2.5" BB with shock extensions is a good solid kit that I've personally run and one that I recommend all the time.

bl17z90

It seems like terraflex has their hands in everything. They make just about every spare part for thr jk so how can they possibly specify in 1 thing? Seems a like a lack of responcibility on their parts :idontknow:

Having said that, i have none of their products but don't have anything against trying them.

Top Bottom